Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can you spend Xmas/Valentines with Marie or should I s link another girl for those events. I don't want to have a back up anime wife if it'll make them sad when I reject them :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well just got the (Big ol spoilers don't mouse over unless you've beaten the game!)Accomplice Ending. They managed to make it pretty creepy with how Adachi acts and the post credits cutscene gave me chills. Although I sort of wish they just went balls to the walls crazy with it instead of what we got. Them taking the Demon ending from Nocturne's original release and turning it into the True Demon Path in the re-release and all the crazyness that came with that was probably one of the coolest things Atlus has done, but eh oh well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If I have Evade Ice, and equip and Eye of Ice (Greatly raises evasion to ice) do they stack in any way? or will one just overwrite the other.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ugh, I wish I knew that Atlus didn't make the Severe class spells actually worth using still. Why yes I will take 20 extra damage for over double the SP cost, great idea. :shepface:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Having just beaten this I will say I was pleasantly surprised at all the additions ATLUS added, I was pretty weary back when it came out in Japan since everyone only talked about the new s link and ~waifu content~ and in general I didn't think P4 was that great. but I needed a new game to play and picked it up with a gift card and, overall I was pretty happy with it. It didn't change some of the core issues I have with the game itself but they definitely put a lot more effort than I expected in improving the P4 experience, both from a mechanical and story perspective.

New Dungeon Spoilers: The new dungeon definitely felt like it could have been alot cooler/more challenging than it ended up being. I felt it was just tedious and not really hard at all, and Marie was an absolute joke of a boss. Cool music though.

The new Epilogue was nice too, definitely more satisfying than the old one.

Also, the second hot springs scene was pretty eyerolling and fanservicey but I'm not going to count that as a mark against the game or anything. The other new scenes were pretty hilarious, especially the beach one.

Overall while I still think P3 had the stronger story and main theme going for it, this port definitely solidified to me that P4 had the stronger cast and group dynamic by a long shot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Some people keep mentioning being able to adjust EXP rate on newgame+ is this an option that opens up later because I just set up new game plus and all I got was the ability to change my difficulty, or is that just what they mean?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Now that I've had a few days to digest the game again, did anyone else feel like (end game spoilers) Ameno-Sagiri was a much more satisfying boss fight than Izanami? I felt the Izanami boss fight was just boring [except the Thousand Curse part which I still thought was cool] Ameno-Sagiri's battlefield, his lines, the presentation and the music felt a lot better overall. It doesn't help that Phase 1 Izanami has such a good boss music while Phase 2 has a meandering mess that takes like 5 minutes to get to the good part. How can the series go from Battle Hymn Of the Soul to that? On that note though, it's hilarious how much Naoto's unique skill breaks Izanami considering she loses any difficulty being able to only have one turn.

The Jester S. link was extremely well done too and definitely makes Adachi being the culprit feel more natural and kind of hits you harder. In the original I barely cared about Adachi since he was just "bumbling idiot detective" and you never really got a feel for him, but the new scenes make him a much better character, as well as making it feel more personal.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It really comes down to this: Will you be bugged by a visual novel style format for everything outside Tartarus?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

V-Day will be hell if you have multiple girlfriends.

(Marie is an exception though)

e;fb

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, really. It's almost as if he's a dumb teenager dealing with a ton of poo poo and being harassed by women sort of made him say some dumb things :wth:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

While I think the female protagonist overall is better due to being able to s link the party members, I actually felt that her bubblyness sort of went against the general mood of the game. The MC coming off as distant and cold pretty much fit perfectly. (Also the females pink UI scheme clashes with the game really hard which was dumb too)

Also I'm going to go against the grain and say that P3 had the better story, but P4 had a much better presentation.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not really. If you really like P3 I think it's worth it to have on the go since the female protag's s links and stuff are for the most part different, but overall it's the same game.

Funnily enough I think p3p actually fucks the combat since it takes away the ability to use other weapon types which can make some fights a chore.

(I'm looking at you, Jotun of Grief)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

If getting to be more progressive cuts out that stupid hot springs and creepy beauty pageant thing, then that's good enough.

This will never happen.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Unless Atlus is feeling REALLY ballsy, there's absolutely zero chance that Persona 5 will be about things other than high school kids.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

What about a college campus?

I think this would be pretty awesome honestly. Letting the characters have more responsibility and be more adult would definitely freshen things up.

But Japan's youth worship and obsession with High School in general probably means we'd never see something like this.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really, I just hope that P5 can strike a middle ground between moody and super happy funtime without going too far in either direction. I think Both P3 and P4 both suffered from the mood in both games being way too far in one direction.

Because, at least in my opinion it made scenes where they attempted to move from its safe zone sort of bad.

The super serious scenes in P4 and the jokey funny scenes in P3 didn't really work at all for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This isn't a dig at you Rurik but since you mentioned it it made me think about it, I really think people were seeing something that wasn't there with Chie and Yuikiko. I always see people talking about subtext with them but I think that completely misses the point which I felt was that both of them were using each other in some respect, Chie's Shadow was her literally using others as stepping stones pretty much, and Yukiko was deep down using Chie because she desperately wanted someone to whisk her away from all her problems, I mean the designs they used for the shadows and stuff could probably be interpreted that way but I think the fact that there's literally nothing at all between them in that way for the entirety of the game kind of proves my point that it wasn't the intended message you were supposed to take away from it all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You keep your compendium and money (and lose the level restriction) so you still can party down in NG+ with your OP personas.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fusion skill choosing being cribbed from Devil Survivor was probably one of the best choices Atlus could have made for P4G.

But I honestly never found min/maxing demon skills to be that necessary so I never played fusion roulette in the older titles.

e: Also Nocturne is much much better than Persona 4 from a gameplay/story perspective but it's not for everyone.

Of course I prefer JRPGs that give you the story more naturally than 3 hour cutscene dumps so that's colored my perspective on the matter :v:

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 25, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also another reason why everyone should play Nocturne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KeHYA44qKU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Learning Japanese from anime/anime games is not a good idea anyways.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The AI is fine in P3

...As long as you only use Aigis, Koromaru and Yukari :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I felt the female route was definitely better written but I also felt it didn't really match the tone of the game at all.

Also gently caress the stupid pink UI that clashes with the game so hard.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You should have at least one Soma by then as well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not really, considering it shouldn't really take you more than 3 if you paid attention.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't see why its unreasonable to assume that they didn't expect people to want to go down the list specifically to see the dialogue on every single possible choice.

e: It also was probably done to prevent someone from just going down the list mindlessly without thinking.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 3, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It doesn't help that in general Yukiko and Rise are probably the most static party members besides Naoto. Which makes their s.links feel even more pointless.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 5, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

blat blat blat posted:

Oh cool, what's the plot-stuff to gameplay ratio like in this? I don't really like being overly bothered by videogame plots, but I do enjoy running around dungeons and leveling up characters and crap like that. Is this a one hour of cutscenes then ten minutes of dungeon kind of RPG?

It takes 2 hours roughly before you even get to the first dungeon for reference.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No real reason to play on anything higher than normal unless you really like grinding/taking more time to kill things for no real payoff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd be happy with literally anyone but Nintendo at this point.

And I don't really see the problem with Sega, they're pretty decent outside some dumb goofs with niche series (like Yakuza) but SMT sells alot more than that so I doubt we'd run into the same issue if they did get bought. Plus since Sega is one of like three Japanese companies that realize that the PC is a thing that exists, we could maybe get PC ports of future SMT titles.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Really? Capcom and Sega would be absolute disasters for their fans.

Capcom yes, but people keep talking about how bad sega is but I literally don't see why.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona and SMT sell pretty decently here so I doubt they'd just sit on their asses and not bother with localizations. v:shobon:v

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yakuza is arguably alot more niche than SMT is these days. Don't get me wrong, I really wish Sega would loving localize Y5 already but they're kind of in different leagues at this point.

I mean, Yakuza 2 sold what, 12k copies its entire US run?

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 5, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

P4 is pretty easy overall especially for an SMT game so as long as you don't go out of your way to ignore core mechanics (that the game explains pretty well for you) you shouldn't have much trouble.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did the anime ever recover from its awful animation budget? I never botherd watching it but I remember people making a big stink for the first half or so.

I wish I had the image handy but things like Double Chie was pretty inexcusable (but hilarious)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Normal is extremely easy, yes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yakuza sells like utter dog poo poo in the west, it loving sucks since the series owns but from a business standpoint it's not really unreasonable.

SMT games sell a lot better so I don't really think it'll suffer the same fate.

And PSO2 is mostly because of all the third party marketing/promotion stuff from what I understand, which probably is a legal nightmare.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

oblomov posted:

Actually no, Sega hosed up marketing for games and had too high expectations for sales in the West. If they handled translation along with dev, didn't cut crap from 3 and properly marketed Yakuza games, they would have been fine. Then they f-d up VC franchise by moving it to PSP when it actually sold fairly decently in US for new IP on PS3, and VC2 was not the game that VC1 was by any means. Recently they didn't bother to translate Y5 when they could have at least thrown it in onto PSN.

So, Persona is fine (for now), but everything else is really niche in US to Sega (any other large companies). Atlus could make money on smaller titles by keeping tight budget and having Atlus USA do outstanding job with localization, marketing, special edition packages (look at SMT IV), etc... although of course, Europe got short end of the stick. All of this is a huge jeopardy as Sega has been cutting localization teams for Japanese games, and it would bloat the costs (huge corp vs small company). Western franchises like Total War are a separate entity and developed for West first while Sonic is also almost more Western facing then Japanese.

Are you honestly surprised that a Japanese company moved an IP (VC) to the PSP, a handheld that did obscenely well in japan, during a peak time where the Japanese market shifted to portable gaming?

Also Y5 has a fuckload of text and the Yakuza series just does not sell here they probably would barely break even if at all. Sega isn't this evil corporation seeking out ways to gently caress over the west like people keep claiming. Even a niche series like SMT sells better here, so they aren't really comparable.

Also SEGA USA's big issue is they're pretty bad at marketing niche things, but SMT and Persona sell decently here with next to no marketing outside videos atlus USA released, meaning it won't really be an issue.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah not to be a dick but I think you just projected things onto Naoto that wasn't intended or the point of their character.

e: Not that her character isn't kind of poorly handled in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HKR posted:

I literally did not know Naoto's gender identity was anything but cisgendered until I came to that part.

She is cis, though.

• Locked thread