Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hunt11 posted:

Just reached the endgame and thanks to it being a second play through I unlocked the bonus boss. I was expecting it to be hard, I was not expecting it to be as brutal as it actually turns out to be.

As I understand it, that boss is the one thing that's actually harder in Golden compared to vanilla P4, since they now get 2 actions per turn instead of 1, and the countdown to the "kill everything" attack hasn't been increased to compensate. If you can manage to keep Rise's once-per-battle party-wide block until that attack, that'll make things a lot easier for you.

If you're having a lot of trouble, the attack-order is fixed, so you can look it up and strategize around it if you feel it's necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Really Pants posted:

There are also a lot of Personas that you can't get through Shuffle Time. The Aeon and Jester sets are Fusion-only, as are the very powerful Judgement Personas. If you just got Rise, you also just unlocked a pretty strong set of special Fusions as well.

• Black Frost

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Is the getting lost-part of the ski trip this expansive with all the characters? That was an impressively long sequence if there's that many different ways for it to play out.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Really Pants posted:

It plays out pretty much the same way no matter who you're with.

In that case I'm looking forward to having Kanji, Yosuke, and Teddie suggesting that we all snuggle up and share body heat when I get back here in NG+.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm thinking, from HKR's posts, that they are probably trans themselves, so I'm not gonna get all up in their grill for freaking out a bit at encountering what seems on the surface to be a trans person in a video game - transpersons are not very well represented in games, and when they are, it's usually handled very poorly, so I see where your worries are coming from.

But Naoto's issues, at heart, are not that she feels her gender doesn't match her body - rather, much like Kanji, she's passionate about something that the world feels doesn't match her gender, and presenting male has been her way of getting around that. Neurion's post was basically spot on.

TL;DR: I don't think Naoto's as bad a character as you probably think right now, and I think it'd be a shame to immediately drop the game over this without at least giving it a chance and seeing for yourself how it develops. It's not perfect, but it's not Dual Destinies either.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Photex posted:

So before I really go any further I just reached the section with Kanji, does it really matter whose romance path I choose? I've read several places you should only try to romance people who will actively be in your party.

It won't have any impact on the story. You can, if you want to, choose to date more than one girl, and the only thing negatively affected will be your conscience.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
^ Way to be subtle and not spoil poo poo, a+ ^

Photex posted:

Ah okay, I thought generally s. link was slightly tied to romance (it's my first persona game)

and I would never break Ayane's heart like that :3:

You have awful taste in anime teenage girlfriends

w o w

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Best persona? Why, that's easy

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Persona 3 Portable:
  • Is a bit easier than the PS2 releases due to being able to directly control your teammates in battle, as well as having skill cards.
  • Lets you play as a girl, which comes with a slew of different social links that most people generally agree are better than the male ones.
  • Has no 3D environments outside of dungeoneering - when navigating around town, your character is reduced to a cursor, and all cutscenes are done with visual novel-style talking heads against isometric backgrounds. A lot of people (me included) feel that this sort of severs the player's connection to the game world and makes you feel too far removed from the story. MY IMMERSION etc.
  • Doesn't have the anime cutscenes of the PS2 releases - they're represented either with a few screenshots from the PS2 cutscenes, or just rendered in-engine using aforementioned talking heads.
  • Has a bunch of extra bonus bosses if you care about that.

So it's a toss-up, but my personal opinion is that FES is probably better for a first playthrough, while the girl-route in P3P is better for a second go-around.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh yeah that's another thing, FES is also the only version of P3 that contains The Answer, which is a playable epilogue to the main game consisting of a whole bunch of dungeon crawling and a maybe a combined total of 1 hour of mediocre story. If you're planning on getting into the P3/P4 spin-offs (or you really like dungeon crawling) you should probably play The Answer, if not then don't bother.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrAristocrates posted:

The Answer is legitimately awful. There are two good songs on its soundtrack and that's it.

I liked the boss battles a lot :shobon:

I'm not gonna pretend the story was good, but I don't get the incredible hate-boner that people have for it. It was just mediocre storytelling, it didn't eat your children.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nate RFB posted:

It's functionally the same thing as doing it through a menu! Just with fewer extra steps. If they wanted to go all out with this concept they should've just removed the ability to equip anything and leave it all up to the party members' "discretion".

They will sometimes change their own equipment and give you back whatever you put on them last, saying "thanks for letting me borrow this" or somesuch.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh boy I can't wait for it to take literal years for PQ to come to Europe.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrAristocrates posted:

Also, FeMC gets a Social Link with Koromaru, why would you ever play as the male protagonist

Because FES is the best version from an immersion- and presentation standpoint :colbert:

I totally agree that the female main character and her route is vastly superior to the male though. In a parallel universe somewhere she was the default from the get-go :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Off the top of my head, a summary of things that are in Golden that are completely missing from vanilla P4:

• Fast-forward mode
  • Marie and everything having to do with her, including Personas under her arcana and her optional bonus dungeon
  • Adachi's social link and personas under that arcana
  • 3rd-tier ultimate personas for your teammates
  • All the different costumes you can wear in dungeons
  • Going out at night for anything other than fishing or warping straight to Devil/Tower social links
  • Scooters and all accompanying in-game events, including Operation Babe Hunt 2
  • Bike dates
  • Visiting Okina city outside of cutscenes
  • The beach
  • Gardening
  • The Vox Populi thing (obviously)
  • The TV menu and everything in there, including the quizzes
  • Every single thing that happens between New Year's Eve and March
  • Skill cards
  • That handy in-game list of possible fusions you can make from the personas you currently have on-hand
  • All Rise's in-battle assists

And things that have been changed from P4 to Golden:

• Chie and Teddie's voice actors (Tracey Rooney & Dave Wittenberg vs. Erin Fitzgerald & Sam Riegel)
  • Shuffle time is completely different and is much more likely to give you bunches of positive effects, skill upgrades, and permanent stat boosts in Golden compared to vanilla P4
  • Getting to manually choose which skills are inherited from fusion (Golden) instead of having to endlessly exit and re-enter the fusion screen until you get the combination you want (vanilla P4)
  • Golden Hands give ridiculous amounts of EXP (Golden) instead of just tons of money (Vanilla P4)

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 9, 2014

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I've never gotten why people insist Tracey Rooney's Chie was so transparently a middle-aged woman - I never thought she sounded like that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Chie and Yukiko would hook up, obviously. Yukiko's English VA has even stated she's absolutely on-board with them being romantically involved with each other.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

UberJumper posted:

My biggest problem right now is Wind, i have Electric, Light, Dark, Fire, and Ice covered by two personas. But out of all my personas i don't have any that do wind damage. :smith:

Cu Chulainn from the Tower arcana is a real good physical fighter who does wind too - he starts with Magarula, and gets Garudyne after 5 level-ups, and Wind Amp a bit after that. Plus he learns Matarukaja.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
So who got fired for naming Yukiko's ultimate skill "Burning Petals" instead of "Amagidyne"

I can't imagine someone didn't get fired for that

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

A Bystander posted:

So does anyone know how to reliably get the Reaper to show up and actually fight me instead of me hearing the chains and it not being in the next chest? I just want to kick its rear end once and counting chests doesn't matter if it's not going to bother showing up.

Open chests until you're one chest away from hearing the chains rattling (20 of them will do that), go to the 5th floor of the castle, then go back to the hub and save your game. Go back to the castle, quick travel to the 5th floor (which always has 2 chests). Open one of them, the chains will begin to rattle, then open the other and hope the Reaper shows up. If not, reload and go to the 5th floor of the castle and try again.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
That is one problem the Vita 2000 solves - it has a gig of internal storage (which can only be used if you don't have a memory card inserted because of course), so for the type of people who aren't into downloading games, that's perfect.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Well Vargs, get cracking. The Answer ain't gonna play itself.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
There's an LP on the archive that's pretty good - skips most of the boring stuff, has a supplementary side update for each main update that goes a bit deeper into the strategies and stuff, it's a good + short read.

http://lparchive.org/The-Answer/

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It should be noted that the story of The Answer directly feeds into some of the story in Persona 4 Arena, so if you care about that then probably either play it or read the lp

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrAristocrates posted:

No, any enemy with the "Rain" or "Rainy" descriptors or the Boy's/Girl's Talc enemy types only spawn on rainy days. You get special armors for selling their drops to Daidara.

Yeah - in vanilla P4, the rainy day-only enemies almost never drop anything, but on the flipside, you only need to sell one of their drops to Daidara to unlock the equipment. In Golden, their drop rate is much much higher, but you need to sell several copies of each item to unlock the goodies.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I hope they don't cut out chunks of the game and make them PS4 exclusive because that would be ridiculous Bull poo poo

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
How do I get this song out of my head so I can stop annoying everyone around me by constantly whistling it, tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oIWGlbl92k

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Gihon posted:

Anyone got ideas on how to spoof a save file? I'm itchin to do NG+ but somewhere in the year it's been since I've played, my vita got wiped and I don't have my original save file anymore.

Vita save files are encrypted to hell and back. I don't know that anyone's ever found out a way to use another person's save file for a Vita game.

E: Or even do local backups of them without having to back up the entire game along with it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I said come in! posted:

I forgot all about that. I wonder how they managed to be so incredibly far off their original release date. That Holiday 2014 release was announced in 2013 too.

Whatever Squeenix has is contagious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

WhiteHowler posted:

I looked up what that required, and it seemed ridiculous.

I got it on my first playthrough without even knowing it existed :shrug:

• Locked thread