Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I still maintain that Chie sounds more like a huge nerd/dork and it fits her character way better. Old Chie didn't sound like a high schooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Earlier there was talk of a scene from the Persona 4 animation where Yu is grinding socail links. I haven't been able to find it; does anyone have a link?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

That said, either something is broken or players this morning are assholes, as I have filled like 20 sos requests and got two.

Don't be That Guy, goons. Pressing that button is easy.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

LaserShark posted:

Number one, the Rescue Request system is the most wonderfully :3: thing to ever be put in a game. I haven't gotten more than two at a time yet, but I smack those requests whenever they pop up and I can't help but grin when I see that 'you are not alone' message. (My message is 'Sweetdiculous Steak-kun Delivered to Chie!')

It's been driving me nuts recently because for like every 20 fuckers I rescue I get 2 back and gently caress that poo poo

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

So here's something that's puzzling me- if you guys always meet up at the food court, why do you take an elevator to get there?

I think the food court is on the roof.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Undead Unicorn posted:

I'm on level 35 and in Void Quest, how the hell are you in your 70's. I didn't even max out a social link yet.

I did that dungeon in one (long) day and fought a stupid amount of golden hands and came out the other end at level 45.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rasamune posted:

Is there a single point in this game where the guys are not being shat on? :v:

Yosuke generally has it coming.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Moriveth posted:

When you find a chest/the stairs in a dungeon, is there supposed to be a clip of your party members commenting on that? It's weird, my music always quiets down in those parts like there's supposed to be something playing over it.

I've noticed that too, either it's an oversight/bug or it's to get you to pay attention to it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Does anyone know if anyplace is selling a legal and reasonably priced copy of the soundtrack in a digital format?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Persona 2 (both of them) is/are still more of a trpg right? One of the reasons I love 3 and 4 is that they are turn based, as trpgs drive me nuts. I really hated the PSP remake of Persona 1.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

The grid in combat was only in P1; they took it out in P2. It's turn-based sort of in the vein of the wait style in Chrono Trigger. You can use combo attacks with your party members doing specific moves in specific orders and rearrange turn order (though the latter might have been removed from the PSP ports).

Ah, hmm. I'll definitely consider it after I finish P4 and the itch comes back, then!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I think I remember trying one of the persona 2 games a long time ago and I vaguely remember liking it, but being immediately terrified by the depth and how obviously long it was going to take to plow through the game. On the other hand, Jack Frost is like, a character. And I think people like walked around with their personas. That was pretty cool.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I just realized I haven't talked to Kanji...like at all. I'm not even sure where he is after school lets out or how his social links start. I hope I haven't messed up too bad :ohdear:

Starting him is annoying, you have to talk to him then a girl on the first floor than him again.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My first runthrough I did every dungeon in one day and used Chie/Yukiko/Kanji the whole time. Chie and Kanji just loving destroyed everything, and Yukiko made the team all but invincible, though Chie got a little weak at the end. Not so weak that I didn't have much trouble with the final boss though. Some of the enemy groups in the last dungeon are annoying with such a phys-heavy team but I still managed to plow through.

That said for shits and giggles on NG+ I got the best weapons available and put my damage to low and damage taken to high and holy hell is the Chie's Persona fight at the beginning of the game suddenly hard! It seems your level matters way more than the weapon does.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

No social links, no golden hands, Izanagi only, no items, Final Destniation.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

NG+ is a bit more entertaining than I thought, I thought it'd just be god mode floor mopping, but very hard mode damage modifiers, pumping up the yen, minimizing the xp, and skipping golden hands is making things interesting :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Newb question. Should I even bother grinding before I beat my first run through? I'm kind of thinking I should just get through the story.

Kill golden hands along the way and you won't need to.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I beat the game at level like 79 I think on my first run? I felt really OP even though apparently some people got to level 90 without effort I guess. I didn't have much of a difficulty with the final boss. I also didn't find like any golden hands in the last dungeon.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah idk having finished the game, that "really gets me going" line comes up so much and is just a little too far and I would argue it's probably her worst line.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Jet Ready Go posted:

PIece of poo poo. I didn't max Marie's S Link before beating Heaven on the first day so naturally the game punishes me by skipping all those days until the Christmas event and mow i cant do the Ski Trip story. Dammit to hell.

I had to avoid this thread like the plague because no one here knows how to use spoilers, just black out everything without context so I couldn't tell if I could mouse over or not. Ihateeveryoneshutupanddieohmygoddammit.

I didn't max Marie and got the ski trip my first run.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hook posted:

I didn't like Marie well enough to spend time with her on my first playthrough, so I can tell you you still get to go on the ski trip. You just miss out on an extra scene that leads to the extra dungeon, as well as the epilogue.

I know it's really shallow but if she had just changed her outfit I would have liked her better.

Her outfit owns, even her poetry is pretty funny in the right light, but it's the loving tsundere poo poo. I cannot handle that much tsundere (because tsundere is a dumb, arguably misogynist thing invented by insufferable nerds that have earned their fate of never feeling the loving embrace of another human being.)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My partner got us a new husbando on a trip to Japan!

She thought it was a blanket and not an... well still not sure what it is, some kind of body pillow? I'm not sure what it's supposed to be, it seems like maybe you'd put stuffing in it to have a life size Teddie.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Jet Ready Go posted:

Isn't that what happens when Teddie gets hit with a brutal attack?

Not quite...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

That is kind of depressing to think about :smith:

It would have been neat to see P4G have something like P3P's female protagonist but the game is already so loving huge it makes sense that they didn't.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

If you play an animu game and don't know at least a few basic Kanji I don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Schubalts posted:

I still don't get the P4 guys's irrational dislike of Kashiwagi. "Wrong side of 40"? If a 40+ year old woman had that figure in real life :quagmire: She tries really hard, but she's no Hanako.

Usually I'm so busy gettin' all mad at the problematic elements of Naoto and Kanji's characterization that I forget that they are super loving lovely to Hanako too. She could have been a way more interesting character and with a good social link maybe even, rather than just an outlet for lovely fat jokes that pretend there are people who actually exist who are, say, overweight and are somehow magically not aware of all the poo poo and hatred directed at them constantly.

At least they avoided that part with the gay and trans characters by having Brosuke, Captain of the Gender Police, make sure it's crystal loving clear that he just doesn't approve of such deviation from normalcy :barf:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

Kanji isn't gay and Naoto isn't trans. Like I agree their characterization/writing isn't perfect but.

Which is exactly why the characterization of them is really hosed up. To make a long story short, it basically twists Jungian psychiatry to assert the exact things "reparative therapy" does.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Also it kind of seems to me that Rise is basically everything Kanji dislikes and fears about women, especially if you go with the (kinda bullshit) "Kanji isn't gay just has a lot of issues with his masculinity/is kind of a misogynist" assertion that the game makes. It really only makes sense in that Anime/fiction "they're so horrible they're perfect for each other!" kind of way which probably has some cutesy name on tvtropes that I'm not aware of (thankfully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Nessa posted:

I don't really get Kanji being a misogynist.

He's not wearing fedoras and posting on Reddit or anything, he just finds girls annoying and confusing.

• Locked thread