Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

smenj posted:

To be honest, I think it's just because people played the original for so long and got used to the voice. I massively prefer Chie's new voice actress because of the reasons already mentioned (sounds more like the right age, fits her character better, etc.), though I do think she sounds a touch screechy at times. However, I don't know if I'd feel the same way had I first played 100-odd hours of P4 before playing P4G.
Yeah, when I heard they would be getting a new voice actor for Chie and Teddie I really didn't like it and I think the main reason was that after playing 100 odd hours of Persona 4 those voices were those characters to me. Yeah, the original voice actor for Chie had some not-so-great lines but as your hear them over and over they become endearing and turn from being a bad line to a line you ironically love ("Aha is this our chance?" is the main offender of this). It really didn't help either when the first time Atlus used the new voices was in a short trailer for Persona 4 Arena when Chie's new voice sounded terrible and Teddie's new voice sounded like Yosuke doing a bad Teddie impression.

After actually playing through Golden though and hearing them have full conversations instead of just one liners I'll gladly admit that I was wrong about the new voice actors. Granted I still don't think Chie's original voice was bad, but the new one is definitely better (though whenever I get an all out attack prompt from her, I still miss the dumb reading of "aha is this our chance") and both of Teddie's voice actors are so great I couldn't pick between either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Really Pants posted:

Aeon's not-ready-to-advance-yet scenes are unique, and longer than every other link's. Are there points where you'll always have to spend an extra day getting Aeon ready to advance, and relationship fortunes just won't work?
I'm on my second playthrough of this game so I've been following a max social link guide and according that there is at least one point in the Aeon social link where you have to spend time before you can rank up to the next level, the person who wrote the guide said that they tried just using fortunes but it wouldn't rank up.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Nate RFB posted:

Like most non-party, non-story S. Links, I cannot bring myself to care either way about the Sun link. You do it for Expression and the personas, and I guess the Max S. Link trophy. That's it.
Are you saying you don't care about the Fox?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

They could have S.Links interact with each other. Like near the end of Nanako's link when she runs off in the middle of the night and you call the rest of the investigation team to help look for her. They could add in Kou, Daisuke, Yumi, etc. if your rank is high enough with them. They don't even have to actually make them important to the scene; just draw their models along with everyone else and maybe give each person a single text box to acknowledge their presence, and it'll feel more like they're friends who care about you and came to help you when your sister went missing.

edit: spoilered, just in case.
Well to be fair, when Nanako goes into the hospital you get text messages from them basically saying that they heard what happened and they are wishing you their best/are there to hang out if you need them. I can't remember if you need to have maxed them or if gotten them to a certain level but it is tied to your social link progress since on my first playthrough all of them sent me a text because I prioritised their links, but on my second playthrough the max S.Link guide I was following only had Ai high enough to send me the text.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It was always funny to me how the Risette trophy is really hard to get and a lot of people have to go out of their way to get it by restricting the social links they do and getting hit with status effects, but I got it half way through my first playthrough without even trying. I didn't play the game differently and the only sort of "grinding" I did was make sure all my party members were the same level when I got to a boss and it just popped randomly while I was going through a dungeon.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Captain McStabbin posted:

Man, I love this game, but I just rewatched the epilogue/true end and I have to wonder why they didn't make their new outfits unlockable costumes.
That was the biggest missed opportunity.
I wanted to play through my new game plus with new Kanji.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Nessa posted:

The best is clearly Kanji and Naoto. Beauty and the Beast for the win.
Speaking of those team up attacks, are they supposed to be absolutely terrible?
Every single time that one activated for me, it would always do about the same (or less) damage as a normal non-persona attack would.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Since this is basically the Persona series thread, A sequel to Persona 4: Arena was announced today.. They're adding in Junpei and Yukari from Persona 3.

Location testing is running in Japan from Aug 16-Aug 18, which means that they're really far along in development.
Can't wait to play this in Europe in like 7 years. :sigh:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

BreakAtmo posted:

What I really want to know is whether or not the Persona 4 Arena Story Mode will be included. I never got Arena due to the region-lock shenanigans and wanting to beat P4G first, and I was glad I waited when we heard about the arcade tests for Ultimax, but now it looks like they expect us to actually buy both games when one is obsolete. I hope not.
There's an LP of the story mode going on right now and you are missing nothing if you experience the story that way instead of playing it, since P4A's story is pretty much just :words: with the occasional one round fight to break it up.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

I said come in! posted:

Please just announce Persona 5 already. I almost feel like giving up at this point. It doesn't seem like the game is going to ever actually happen. It's even more painful when you remember too that when it does come out, it's still going to be a real long wait before the english version comes out too.
You think that's bad, try being in Europe and anticipating Persona 5. We've got to wait for the Japanese release, then the American release, and then a few more months. :smithicide:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
To me the dumbest thing about that part towards the end is how long it takes anyone to ask Namatame what he thinks he is saving people from.
I get that everyone is stressed out and concerned for Nanako but the guy keeps saying about how he saved some of the party members and is going to save Nanako, if one person just asked "what are you saving people from" instead of immediately assuming "well I guess he's crazy and saving = killing to him" he presumably would have mentioned the real killer and saved a whole lot of trouble.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I liked the Answer. It was brutally hard, almost entirely dungeon and boss battle intensive, you got to have sweet duels against certain main characters and also had cool music bits. In other words, it was an actual SMT game.

babbies up in this thread need to play a game with balls like Strange Journey
I also liked the Answer as kind of a challenge mode version of the game. Yeah it didn't have any of the out of dungeon stuff but the last few months of P3 were ludicrously easy for me with the end game personas and that fusion combo that does 9999 damage so it was nice that battles were actually difficult again. Not having access to the compendium made the battle system way more interesting too since you now had to think carefully about your fusions instead of just knowing you can buy the fused personas back again.
And yeah the music was rad.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

BreakAtmo posted:

Isn't it the case that Yu standing up to Morooka is something you can do in the game, but only in NG+? If so, man, I really love the way they did this.
I'm pretty sure it's something that you can do on your first run that gives you a courage boost, rather than something locked behind a courage requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Cake Attack posted:

lol remember the one guy who was flabbergasted that he'd agreed to date Yukiko?
Didn't he somehow stumble into a relationship with all of the female party members despite deliberately trying not to?

• Locked thread