Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

lotus circle posted:

Teddie: The Reverse Star. The Star is a very optimistic card. It represents that there is something out there shining and one day it will grant you help in your time of need (much like wishing under the shooting star). Teddie is the Star because, while he might not always be useful, when the right time comes he truly shines and shows that he can be as helpful as anyone else around him. Stars can grant passage to the future, like how the North Star is a guide to lead travelers like the Fool back on the right path. Shadow Teddie is the Reverse Star because he does not shine and does not present a good future. He taunts Teddie and the others as fools for searching for the truth and sees all life as futile and meaningless. There is only darkness and no hope for a bright tomorrow.

Interesting thing about Teddie, and I think I heard about it in this thread, but Shadow Teddie is from the Moon Arcana if you scan him during the fight. I can't quite remember the reason behind it, but I remember it was a pretty neat detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A few days ago Pop Fiction did an episode on the blinking eye symbol that popped up occasionally (usually on Jiraiya) on the original Persona 4.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/hr8sy9/pop-fiction-episode-41--persona-4--yosuke-s-eye

A bit of a let down, but it was pretty weird at the time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, whatever it was, it seems way too intricate and deliberate to be some random graphics glitch. It's too bad they never would say what they had planned for it. I'm a sucker for cut and unused content.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Sun links are terrible, but I found the Sun arcana personas were among my favourite. Lots of Growth skills to pass along, some early null skills, and Tam Lin fused on the fusion date always breaks the game in half for me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Steve2911 posted:

Alright, I've been playing this for almost a year now, and I think I might have hosed myself out of the true ending. I'm at the point where you have to decide who the killer is, and the person who it's meant to be (I looked it up to make sure I didn't waste 70+ hours on a bad ending) isn't on the list of options.

Am I completely hosed? Did I miss some opportunity to have them considered a suspect? Is that even possible?

The real killer is absolutely on the list, and I don't think it's possible to miss out on the name as a suspect.

However, you probably know the character by the last name, and the suspects list might throw you off by having the first name? I can't quite remember, but just double check and the name will be there.

Killer: Adachi's full name is something like Tohru Adachi

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Accordion Man posted:

Did you allow Namatame getting shoved into the TV? If you did then yeah, you screwed up.

I think the game just ends if you do that. Should just lead straight into the ending.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I personally like not having control of the characters, and generally just play with the AI auto settings. The only times I'd switch to manual is when specific, or all, characters need to block, or when poo poo hit the fan and I need to do something specific to heal to acceptable levels again. It has a more atmospheric touch, emphasizing that you're one character, and accentuating how much more powerful he is than the rest of the group.

It was a bit worse in P3, with loving Marin Karin or Moonless Gown, but P4 didn't seem to have the same huge blunders.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

UberJumper posted:

So i have maxed out a handful of social links now: Devil, Chariot, Priestess, Lovers, and another one. Is there a list of the personas that unlock from maxing each of the social links?

I am assuming those are the better personas that you should work your way towards fusing?

If my memory holds, I'd say the Magician, Empress, Chariot, and Emperor personas are the best in their type because they each learn their unique elemental attack.

I don't think any other arcanas have their unique skill on their highest level. Yoshitune/Tower was brought up already, but then there's Alice/Death, Satan/Judgement, and Daisoujou/Hierophant that are arguably better than their higher-level arcanas because of unique skills.

That said, while a few of the max level personas are quite lackluster, many still get a nice array of immunities and skills.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Strange Quark posted:

None of these are from maxing links, other than Loki from Fool, I believe. Surt, Odin, and Thor are of Magician, Empress, and Chariot respectively, but they're just regular Personas.

Whoops. My memory failed pretty hard there. I must be mixing up at least Thor from P3, who I'm pretty sure was a max rank persona. Probably just extrapolated from there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5hqJ6jD54 was the only addition, it still would have been worth it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All I'd do with him is get victory cry, save him in the compendium, and then fuse some other good personas with him (taking victory cry).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is Margaret's persona Yoshitsune? That's rad.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Status and buff/debuff spells (especially buff/debuff spells) aren't the worthless trash you see in a lot of other RPGs. It's probably worth carrying a persona around that can throw out the full party buffs, and probably the single target debuffs. It's less important if your party members can cast them, but you have to make sure to actually use them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yosuke's great, and out of 6 playthroughs neither him nor Yukiko have ever left my party.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

oblomov posted:

Yukiko I get since she was insanely powerful with her final persona and Mind Blast plus best healing, Yosuke was not particularly better then anyone else. From actual story perspective I found both not too interesting with Yukiko perhaps being better.

Yukiko as you said is obvious, and I'd use Kanji or Chie for physical. I found Yosuke useful because he's the fastest, generally getting the first round even over the MC, and he has pretty good wind magic/physical/masukukaja. I found him as good utility and a decently well-rounded skill set.

But assuming I didn't want a heavy physical Chie + Kanji group, I don't think it's a hard choice as I hate Naoto's skillset, and Teddy is just far to annoying to use.

I liked Junpei in 3 as well, so I like the slackerish friend characters I guess.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Looks rad. And I'll have to buy a new PS3 or 4 just for this drat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks for the answers.

One other thing -- should I bother going into the TV world in between kidnappings (if it's even possible), or should I just stay out and build stats and social links? The game doesn't seem to give a whole lot of direction on what exactly to do when you're not rescuing someone.

Rare monsters can spawn on rainy days, and new optional bosses will appear where the dungeon bosses were. You can combine those runs in with rescue trips, but really if you feel like levelling or need some cash grinding, you can go right ahead and enter the TV between rescues. I don't see the point in overly optimizing your time management on your first time through.

• Locked thread