Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bought the game with a Vita a couple weeks ago and just beat it, great game. Wish that characters you didn't bring into a dungeon still got experience though. That and the Hollow Forest being bad are the only complaints I have.

Photex posted:

I guess I did too much high school simming I've beat the sub boss and made it to floor 8 but I guess I should back track to around floor 3 and grind

I only ever went into the TV once per dungeon and it worked out fine. Even if you're underleveled you'll be fine if you're exploiting weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honestly I vastly prefer the way P3P handles getting around the world. There's a lot of pointless running around and getting lost early on otherwise (god I wish SMT4 just had a menu that warped you from dungeon to dungeon). There's really not much reason to get a different version of the game, there's an LP of The Answer if you want that.

Is Persona 4 Arena worth the effort? I got it on sale and beat the main character's first act and started on Yukiko's and thus far I am not impressed. The fighting isn't particularly fun and so far the story beats for the characters seem to be the same (beat up Yosuke -> meet council president -> etc).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alright, thanks guys. I'll try sticking with it a little longer and switching to that LP if it doesn't get interesting enough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

While I guess having your party members act on their own makes them seem more like individuals than extensions of your will, it's also really frustrating 90% of the time and makes them all seem like total morons. There's a fair bit of being stupid in Persona 4 specifically as it is, they really don't need the help.

I wish it defaulted to you having direct control because I always forgot to change them manually the first time I used a new character, and they always disappointed me with what their AI chose to do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ken is the worst though. Literally the worst.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're right, Ken is fine if you haven't seen that s-link.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Junpei has the best character arc in the series, I think the way P3 handled character growth through the actual story worked better than "and now I am solved" in P4 when you beat up the shadows. Yeah, they still grow as characters through the s-links but so do the P3 characters. I think P3 has a stronger story over all but P4 has a better cast over all.

Female MC and Koromaru are the best though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think that makes Yosuke a better character, though he's definitely more immediately likable. Junpei grows as a person through the game, it's paced better than the whole shadow business in 4. The P3 characters grow throughout the entire game, rather than just in the dungeon you recruit them in.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Didn't they turn around the smt 4 translation to USA in like a month? Japan gets p5 late this year so we should get this early next year and not like June '15.

That'd be great, but Persona games are way more dialogue heavy than SMT4 was.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I went into each dungeon only once and focused on s-links and getting my social stats up. You need max courage and knowledge to initiate the final party member's s-link and a lot of dialog options are gated by them as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Which final boss? Depending on what ending you're going for it could be a few different things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That should be everyone's plan for bosses that are not phys immune. Hassou Tobi is amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're gonna go that route you may as well just use Helel for Morning Star instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The two s-links they added for Golden (Jester and Aeon) add some story stuff. Aeon is the only one that affects dungeons and that's just whether you can get in the bonus dungeon. The only thing any other link gates is access to another link (Devil unlocks Death and I think Strength unlocks Moon, for example). Other than that though just make sure you focus on your party members because their s-link level affects their persona significantly. Also the final party member requires you to have max Courage and Knowledge to start.

edit: oh and for the love of god, do the Hermit s-link. You won't need it by the end of the game but you'll hate yourself for a long time if you don't.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This is why you always max out your party's social links.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You get that arcana's ultimate persona unlocked for fusion. No skills are unlocked through links in P3 and their personas change as part of the plot rather than you hitting rank 10 because you only ever get to talk to the girls outside of playing P3P as a girl. She gets the guys, don't remember whether you still talk to Yukari/Mitsuru/Fuuka or whether they're also replaced with new characters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Unless this is a NG+ file you can't get the Victory Cry card since it's on Izanagi-no-Okami.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

I'd be surprised if we didn't get one soon since the game will be out in Japan in less than 8 months. Is there much chance of a Japanese trailer at E3, or would Atlus wait until TGS?

Atlus would wait until TGS. SMT is pretty niche outside of Japan.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd rather they just actually let you skip poo poo instead of putting it on fast-forward.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

You have a source on this?

A quick search gets this story from IGN. P4G shipped 700k copies. Not sold, shipped. This was a few months ago though, could be over a million by now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

That's world-wide though, isn't it?

It doesn't say.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ah, I didn't notice that. My mistake.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Golden got something like 350k in Japan and another 350k outside of it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chie's great (Golden VA supremacy though). I felt bad for Yosuke too at first, but he earns it by the end of a school event later don't you worry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You mean Yukiko? She's weak to ice, Prince Charming is weak to lightning. Chie has Bufu, you can get Zio and Bufu on your main character. Yosuke can throw healing items when needed since he can't hit anyone's weakness.

There are no mid dungeon save points. But if you leave the dungeon you can resume from the last floor you completed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I assumed he was talking about Golden since this is the P4G thread. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Do what you're doing, the game will tell you when a new dungeon opens up. Personally, I'd focus on s-links and getting your personality stats up and only go into the TV World once per rescue. Get everything you need to done in one go to have more time to do s-links.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Prozach posted:

But yeah, opinions naturally vary on all of the characters but Kanji is pretty unanimously adored.

Until Chie gets Dragon Hustle there's zero reason to use anyone over Kanji.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She can still do that outside of the active party, though. The only difference being that now she does it on a scooter.

A Bystander posted:

Why not use both.

Also, I didn't feel guilty about Lovers and I figured that she'd be alright anyway, so

Didn't say you couldn't, I said nobody outclasses Kanji. Though I'd use Naoto/Chie/Yukiko post Dragon Hustle and Kanji in Chie's place before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nope, gotta do Margaret's stuff all over. Just make sure you kill all the optional bosses as they appear and get her s-link finished immediately. You can just summon that poo poo in from the compendium and have the link done the second you have access to the Velvet Room.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yukiko becomes hilariously, retardedly strong when she gets her P4G unique fire spell.

Goddamn girl. Just god drat.

She also gets Spell Master from the bike dates. Poor Teddie is completely outclassed. Kind weird though how the girls get such amazing rank 11 skills and the guys get awful ones. Yosuke's got the best of the three but how does mediarama+masukukaja compare to poo poo like full party Heat Riser and complete damage nullification?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

For one thing, you can use Youthful Wind more than once per battle.

You can use Dragon Hustle three or four times with the Chakra Ring and Shield of Justice twice without. Nobody else needs it and you get it before January so there's really no point in time where Youthful Wind is actually useful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gonna have to disagree on old Chie. New Teddie's about on par with old Teddie so it's more a matter of which you heard first, but old Chie is for real not a good voice actress.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nessa posted:

Old Chie is best because she never made me want to turn the volume off when she talked. New Chie is way too pitchy and just generally annoying through most of the game. Old Chie sounded a little awkward, but sincere.

She was barely able to express emotion 90% of the time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Both players have perfect personas that null everything with straight 99s in everything and it just comes down to who gets the first turn to start the Morning Star spam. Except both players also have Salvation and over 400 MP and :suicide:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

uPen posted:

See this would be an acceptable stance on new Chie except Rise is also in this game.

The only problem I have with Rise is that she bore a hole in my skull with the word senpai. Going through ng+ with the music club Sun s-link did not help matters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're playing checkers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Define benefit.

I kinda liked Marie the first time I played. Second time I was pretty done with her but I still don't hate her, she's just boring and doesn't fit in the game well. It's not even her character, she's not more anime or different from the rest of the cast. They just didn't do a good job making it feel like a natural inclusion. She does have that one good line at the end of her s-link though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The SP gimmick might as well not even exist, you'll never actually have any issues with running out since so long as you have light/dark spells or use Naoto you'll end every fight before the enemies get to move. And if you have Victory Cry early even that mild concern is thrown out the window. I didn't like the fact that the way the dungeon is designed, you get almost no experience, zero money, and none of the equipment you get can be used elsewhere. The gently caress is the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A Bystander posted:

You can save the world, but you're not a miracle worker.

Zero multiplied by anything is still zero, after all.

• Locked thread