Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Auto advance has been there since Persona 3. I never play these games without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speedball posted:

This, and the ability to control what skills get inherited, were both first in Devil Survivor. So I guess Atlus just realized that those were two really cool things about Devil Survivor, that it left less to chance about what you got out of fusion, and added it into Persona 4 Golden.
I'm gonna miss spending an hour just going in and out of the fusion screen, trying to get just the right skills for a hexagon fusion persona. :unsmigghh:

Wait, no, I'm not. That was bullshit, especially when Igor randomly decided to gently caress up the fusion.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

KongMu posted:

For someone whose never played this... which slink is considered the most "worth it" to level up, aside from the fox?
All the party members, or at least those you're using the most. The skills they learn are definitely worth it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The single most broken persona in the game is of the Tower arcana, so level up that link if you want to try out something completely overpowered.

At least in vanilla P4 he basically broke the whole game in half once you got him, they might have toned him down in this one though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Finally get to sit down and play, and Yu Narukami fits the name spaces. Man, picking a name was so much easier this time :v:
I'm going to try making his personality as close to the anime as possible. I have a feeling this is going to bite me in the rear end when I get to the social links.

:j: "I sit next to you in class, remember?"
:geno: "You do?"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You became friends with Yosuke! Yosuke will now die for you... wake up a knocked down ally in battle?

I guess it makes a bit more sense this way.

e: Oh god why is King Moron calling me at night :gonk:

e2: Oh god the Shiroku Pub

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 22, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

DrManiac posted:

[e] I'm kinda disappointed that they took out the crazy Japanese food you don't know anything about when cooking.
I'm so bad at cooking that almost all food is crazy food I don't know anything about. :downs:

Holy poo poo the new Shuffle Time is awesome. I never really used it in vanilla P4 because the only worthwhile stuff you'd get were Persona cards and even those were mostly useful for fusion fodder. Arcana Chance was pointless, because why in the hell would I want to risk getting 1 EXP from the next ten fights or have my persona's stats decreased or some poo poo like that? The rewards were occasionally nice, but it just wasn't worth it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Making my way through the first dungeon, and... uh... did I just hear some creepy groaning and the sound of chains rattling, something that is all too familiar from Persona 3? :gonk:

I didn't hang around to check if that was the case.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

I think I made a mistake picking Normal difficulty :(. Getting my rear end handed to me by the trash mobs in the first dungeon. Granted i'm not losing, but I can only clear like a floor or two before I have to go sleep for the night and heal up. Why do I have to be so bad at RPGS :qq:
I've played through vanilla Persona 4 three times and started at least six or seven playthroughs so I generally know what I'm doing, but some of the trash mobs in the first dungeon have been kicking my rear end pretty hard as well. I even died twice in approximately five minutes on floor 6 when 1) the game decided all the monsters should gang up on Narukami and 2) I got ambushed by a red shadow I never even saw because of the camera getting all wonky in doorways and narrow halls.

As I eventually learned, the silence/Makajam spell is your friend. Most enemies in the first dungeon are rendered useless when silenced, so you can just beat the poo poo out of them. Granted, that won't help you when ambushed or if the random number generator fucks you over, but it makes a huge difference in most trash mob battles.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Good to see the bonus boss of the first dungeon is still as ridiculous as ever. I was thinking they might have toned him down for P4G because you need to be like lvl 25 (which isn't even remotely feasible after just the first dungeon, unless you're the world's biggest grinding sperglord) to beat him in vanilla P4, but that's not the case. A single Rampage is still more or less a total party kill. :unsmigghh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

For some reason, all of Yu Narukami's dreams seem to be about wearing luchador masks and wrestling Chie or Marie. Yu Narukami is a strange man.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Man, Yukiko's S.Link advances really fast. I don't even have a Priestess persona (I wanted to wait until the link ranks up a few levels, gotta get that bonus EXP :spergin:), but it has ranked up every time I've spent time with her anyway. It's at Rank 5 now, so maybe I'll finally fuse that Sarasvati after this.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The drama Sun link is still more than a little creepy. Why yes, of course a girl you've met twice will appreciate it if you decide to go see if she actually goes to the hospital when she has a family emergency, and especially if you listen in on her private conversations with her mother. I'm sure this would work great in real life!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Indeed, that's why I picked it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Meiteron posted:

Oh... oh my God. That scooter trip to Okina on 6/15 has to be the greatest thing in the entire game now. I don't care what else they added this is the absolute pinnacle. There are at least a half dozen points during those scenes where I just completely lost it.

The voice work, jesus.

"Oh so THIS is what you meant by up close and personal. I get it now."

GOLD.
That bit was glorious. I hope the other new scenes are half as good.

Anyway, what's the deal with getting the fishing rod? I looked up how to do it, and apparently you're supposed to talk to a kid at the shrine and give him food so he'll give you a bug you can then feed to the fish at Shiroku Pub, which gives you a fish hook you give to the old man, but the bug-catching kid doesn't complain about being hungry or anything like he should. Instead he just says how someone took his bug-catching net and tells me to keep an eye out for it (apparently the woman in white has it and wants a fish for it). What the hell, am I locked out of getting the fishing pole and the bug-catching net because I didn't trigger a certain conversation with an NPC earlier?

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 24, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Schubalts posted:

You should be able to find the net somewhere, then I guess that unlocks bug-catching for you. You just need to bring a bug to the pub, I don't think it needs to be specifically from the kid.
Well, I looked up where the net is, but it seems I need a Red Goldfish for that. How am I supposed to get a Red Goldfish without the fishing rod?

fake edit: according to gamefaqs you're supposed to talk to the kid before 6/4 to trade for the bug. Welp, guess who missed that! :shepicide:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Since I apparently lost my chance to get the fishing rod and bug-catching net by not going out of my way to talk to an NPC by a certain date (if there's another way to obtain a bug, please let me know), I actually thought about restarting the game entirely. Not because I care about fishing or bugs that much, but because you can't finish the fox's social link without fishing (and probably catching some bugs in this version). Figures that something like this would happen the one time I only use one save file.

I don't think I will actually restart because gently caress doing that after 16 hours, but now I'm just going to be all :spergin: about unwinnable social links.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0156 posted:

I thought I was in this situation too, but there are two things that may help you out. I'm not 100% positive on either, but you may keep an eye out.

Hope one of these two works out for you, it seems really crazy to me that with as much as they changed for the better that they would make fishing and one of their new minigames totally inaccessible permanently...
Thanks for the tips.

And yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking there. Why not just, you know, give the player the fishing rod (I don't think anyone complained about that in vanilla P4) and bug-catching net instead of making them jump through a bunch of hoops? Why have a fetch quest chain that wouldn't look out of place in a Sierra adventure game and even has a time limit you won't know about until it's too late? :arghfist::saddowns:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

(June event spoiler) "It seems King Moron is vomiting further up the river..." might be the second greatest text box in the history of RPGs.

edit: hell yeah now I can beat up monsters with a shovel :black101:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 24, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh hey, an NPC just gave me the bug catching net and I didn't have to give them anything in return (they're still asking for an item, but looks like GameFAQs was full of poo poo and that item is completely unrelated... or maybe not, since the NPC just disappeared when I went back to where they were :iiam:). Time to go catch some bugs :getin:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 24, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I finally got the fishing rod, apparently you can't gently caress yourself over after all even though it looked like that at one point. You just need to bring a Tatsuhime ladybug to Shiroku Pub, it doesn't matter whether you got it from the bug catching kid or caught it yourself.

I totally suck at this new fishing minigame, by the way. I know the old one was basically a QTE but I'm pretty good at those, dammit. :saddowns: Can't seem to get the timing down in the bug catching mingame either, I press the button when the ! comes up but it still tells me my timing "might have been off."

e: also if you're around level 31, you should fuse Ose of the Fool arcana if you haven't done that yet. He has Power Charge and Atom Smasher, which will wreck the poo poo out of just about anything that isn't completely immune to physical attacks.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 25, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

hctibyllis posted:

Is it worth taking up a whole day just to kill the optional bosses? The weapon from the first one is pretty nice, but will it keep up in the next castle?
That's the +50 SP weapon for Yukiko, right? On my last playthrough of the vanilla version, I kept that for the rest of the game. It's not as if she'll be doing that much physical attacking, and more SP is always a good thing. Maybe there's a weapon somewhere that gives her +100 SP or something like that, but I've never found one.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

JetGrind posted:

Tried fighting the optional boss in Yukiko's dungeon. That went a little less than well. Glad they made the new restart from last floor option. I would have hated to lose all of my progress getting there.
Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, that guy might be just a little bit overpowered. I think I was at level 21 when I beat him (usually I wait until I have Rakshasa, but this time I decided to try without), and he still almost killed the entire party with Rampage.

Looks like the beach event is coming up in a few days. If the conversation about it earlier is anything to go by, this is going to be glorious.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Holy loving poo poo, the beach event. Had to put the Vita down a few times to avoid dropping it on the floor from laughing so hard.

"You're a man. Let 'em dangle." :black101:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Got past the scene with MASSIVE LATE GAME SPOILERS
It's in spoiler tags, but since there's approximately 58 scenes where you can say "gently caress Yosuke" in this game, I thought I'd give a heads up to those playing for the first time.

e:fb

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Man I forgot how hilariously powerful Black Frost is.

I think it's the earliest learner of Mind Charge and an Amp ability.
Between him and Ose, the Void Quest dungeon was an absolute cakewalk. Black Frost's Mind Charge + Fire Amp + Agidyne just wrecks the boss, and when they eventually used Red Wall it was time for Power Charge + Atom Smasher. :black101:

A charged-up Atom Smasher can also kill a golden hand in one turn if they're enraged. If they're not, they still lose half their health.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Finally got around to the beach event.

You're a man. Let 'em dangle my sides!!
Anyone who doesn't pick that option is playing this game wrong.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You don't have to have a maxed/romance link to get that scene, I got it with Rise and her link was nowhere near the point where I could romance her. Still a very nice scene, though. :3:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sankis posted:

Souji Seta is apparently the manga name.
I always thought it was Seta Souji because the Japanese name was written as "Souji Seta" on Wikipedia at one point. Looks like it's been fixed since and I've done three playthroughs with my dude's name backwards. :downs:

Never really cared for that name anyway, though, so in Golden I just went with Yu Narukami. I have no imagination whatsoever.

e: I'm also really bad at social links this time around. I just barely managed to max out all the party members' links by the end of November, and as of December 3 I haven't finished any of the school links (Sun and Strength are both at rank 6 or 7, Moon is rank 4, didn't even start Hanged Man). Empress and Hermit are rank 8 and 9 respectively, Aeon is 7 and Jester 3, Tower and Temperance are also 3 and Death is still rank 1. I keep getting distracted by things. :saddowns: Maxed Devil, though. And both Dojimas, obviously. :colbert:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 2, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Can someone please list the criteria for the true and good endings?

End-game spoilers!! I tried replaying the epilogue a few times, but I always get the timeskip and end up on the train.
First time, I talked the team out of throwing Namatame into the TV, Nanako came back to life and I got a timeskip ending where Dojima asked me if I have any regrets.

Second time, I threw the prick in, Nanako never recovered, and got another timeskip.

I didn't end up maxing Nanako's Slink as I thought I had November to finish that off, I assume that is probably why.
From the OP:

quote:

After some dramatic plot events, Yosuke will ask you a series of 6 questions. Answers these questions right to avoid the bad end. (The right answers are 3,1,3, 2, 3, 2).
You need to answer exactly right, otherwise you get one of the bad endings.

You don't need to max Nanako's link to get the good endings, although if you don't max it as soon as possible anyway you're worse than quadruple Hitler. :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Nah, he avoided that. My guess is that You didn't guess who the culprit was correctly when the game gives you the choice outside of Aiya.
I'm pretty sure you can get the first ending he mentioned by answering the last question wrong. You don't kill Namatame, and Nanako wakes up but stays in the hospital.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 3, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I just realized Ms. Kashiwagi is voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. Nothing strange there as she's apparently a pretty prolific anime VA, but I am always going to associate her voice with Silent Hill which has the side effect of making Kashiwagi creepy as hell. :gonk: (more so than usual, that is)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Holy poo poo, you can get the Debilitate skill card from Trumpeter. Yoshitsune with Debilitate, here I come :getin:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Sea Guardian is kicking my rear end so hard. I know I'm terrible at the fishing minigame but this is ridiculous, I can keep the arrow in the middle most of the time but then it occasionally gets in the red bit and the loving thing is a mile away once again, or my fishing line snaps because I hold the button for a millisecond too long or something.

I'm never going to catch this thing. Now I know how the old man feels. :negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Of course right after I complain about it on the internet, I manage to catch the fucker. Man, he's a big one. :krakken:

And yeah, tapping the O button instead of holding definitely helps.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 5, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Grimace posted:

Have you guys read the books meant to increase fishing proficiency? I'm basically just wondering how much that would help when attempting for the Guardian. I'm still gathering Inaba Jewel Beetles, so I haven't gotten the chance to try for the sucker yet.
Yeah, I read them. I'd say reading the expert fishing book is basically mandatory for the Sea Guardian, at least I would have been totally hosed without the "press triangle for quick reel" ability.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It's the bonus skill from Naoto's third persona.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I have no idea how all you guys are so much better at time management and social links than I am. :saddowns:

I did max out all the party members' links and generally all the links that mattered (as well as Tower and Devil) but all the school links got neglected pretty bad and were at rank 6-8 at the end except for Hanged Man who was rank 1. I probably could have done a couple of those in January, but I wanted the new personas for all the party members.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yukari posted:

There's also a fusion event on either the 23rd or the 24th, that allows you to get a very good skill on a very good persona (Debilitate on Yoshisune).
gently caress that, fuse Trumpeter and get him to level 73 to get the skill card, then put the skill on the other guy (if you want to break the game in half, that is).

e: Or you can give the card to Marie for further breaking purposes, but it costs 200,000 yen to buy back so at least you won't be putting that skill on everyone.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm not sure if the pattern is still the same, but you can immediately tell if it's the Guardian because of the huge-rear end :krakken: splashes. If you only see rings, it's one of the other fish.

e: beaten like Yosuke and Teddie at a hot spring

• Locked thread