Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are technically a few different bad endings and some are worse than others. But you'd only get the worst one if you are really stupid.

And Susano-o is weak to Electricity now? Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

precision posted:

P4 on Normal was really easy to me, it just depends how familiar you are with JRPG Bullshit I guess. I mean, it was easy in a satisfying way, the hardest thing was remembering what all the moon language names for skills mean when there are times you can't check (ie, while Fusing). What the gently caress is a Rakakuja?!

Couldn't you press square for that? I'm pretty sure they never locked you out of checking what skills do, even if the descriptions sometimes aren't that helpful. (Enervate is "Enervates 1 foe." Yeah, thanks Atlus.)

Pollyanna posted:

Gag dammit, what level am I supposed to be when I'm about to fight Shadow Yukiko? Level 13 or so? I don't remember P4 being this difficult - oh wait I'm playing on hard. :v:

I actually recommend grinding a few more levels. Even at level 16 or so, that boss is probably the hardest in the game for where you are and what you have available.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

KongMu posted:

If you have a girlfriend in P4 and then try ti SLINK another girl does it piss them off like it did in P3? Or did they get rid of this.

They might get a bit prissy if you go out with someone else on a Sunday. :v: It can end up wasting your chance in getting a few more points toward a link, though it doesn't interrupt an actual S Link event.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Superstring posted:

Is Izanagi still a bleh persona? Kinda sad to me that you can't keep the PC's signature persona.

You can't expect the thing you start with to carry you through the whole game! :v: At least not until you see the True Ending and can fuse his souped up version in NG+. When you reach level 90 or so again. Because your level doesn't carry through to NG+. (This was in vanilla P4, by the way.)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Capsaicin posted:

Oh man, the boss of the first dungeon came down to the wire, but I got it just barely with a Skull Cracker from Chie!

You can kinda game the system a bit by running around on lower levels of dungeons and using the SOS feature, getting an advantage on enemies, and then running away. In about 30 minutes of game play, I was able to raise my HP/SP on all three characters up to max on my second day in the first dungeon.

Physical skills tend to better in boss fights since bosses usually don't have any bosses to exploit and physical skills are on average stronger than magical ones.

Light physical attacks like Cleave have a base power of about 130 while Agi/Bufu/Zio/Garu are all 80.

Of course, none of that information is anywhere in the game. :suicide:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

hctibyllis posted:

Is it worth taking up a whole day just to kill the optional bosses? The weapon from the first one is pretty nice, but will it keep up in the next castle? And how much do courage do you get anyways?

Just do it on the side when you unlock the next dungeon so you'll save some time. All the rewards from the bonus bosses are very, very nice though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

Belphegor. I can't remember if he can be made from accidents or not, but.. yeah. Toilet.

Pretty sure that any demon you get through an accident can be fused normally as well.

Belphegor also was a Shuffle Time demon in one of the later dungeons in vanilla P4.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pollyanna posted:

I don't see spacy girl anywhere, not satisfied. :colbert:

That's not such a bad idea. It makes the game overall easier and opens up some new stuff.

Doesn't that lock you out of the boss fight with Margaret on NG+? I mean, it is sort of a next to impossible fight not everyone would care about doing, but still.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

I just had a weird thought. What if you make it to Valentine's Day without choosing any girlfriends at all?

I imagine it would be something like the Christmas Eve event where you get to hang out with the dudes if you max all their links.

I'd certainly like to see more of Yosuke's terrible texting. :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Regence posted:

Does fire boost stack with Fire amp? Googling it gives me mixed answers.

Two boosts will stack. Anything more will just take the two biggest ones. So don't go equipping something that boosts fire or something.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I keep getting the "link not ready to advance" message when the game asks if I want to spend time with Nanako (who's currently Rank 3). Do I need to actually spend more time with her or do I have to wait until more plot stuff happens?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

Does it still give you the option of spending time with her?

Social Links level up based off points you get in that link, you get points by spending time with them and selecting the right conversation options. Getting a bonus if you have a Persona in the same Arcana as the link. If you don't have enough points to level up the link, spending time with them just gives you some points.

Yes, it does. But whenever I can spend time with someone else who isn't going to rank up it doesn't show the same message. I remember getting something similar with Adachi until I checked in a bit later in the game.

VVV It gives me the option of spending time with her. And I don't think there's an Expression requirement for the Rank 4, since the game didn't say anything about it.

I probably should see what actually happens next time if I do spend time with her even if I can't advance the link.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 2, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
When could I conceivably beat the bonus boss in Yukiko's Castle on Hard? Rampage keeps wiping out my mid-30s leveled party.

I'm thinking of just cheesing the fight with a persona with Null Phys. What's the earliest one I can get?

e: Turns out spamming Tetrakarn is really effective. Eats up SP like crazy but it makes the AI do most of the work. (Even if the king never used Rampage that time.) :v:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 3, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
How long do I have to do the Jester link? It's still sitting at 2 in September which kind of worries me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

It needs to be Rank 6 by 11/2.

Argh. Is there a list somewhere of the link's availability? I haven't been seeing him around when I check Junes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy crap, Daidara just gave me a fish as a weapon. GOTY.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Treasure Hands aren't hard to find and it's pretty easy to get Megidolaon by evolving Megido through Magician cards (which I got by the third dungeon). I'm at level 68 after the fifth dungeon on Hard and I feel really overleveled.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're basically limited by your SP since you'll likely be doing more damage with magic exploiting weaknesses.

Your options are also really limited until after beating the first dungeon since you don't have much means of replenishing HP/SP beyond items. A good rule of thumb is just exit when you've run out of SP since there really isn't much need to grind in the game.

Later on you can very easily clear out a dungeon in one day, if you want to maximize time for your SLinks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, and I did a bit of digging into the dates the Jester link is available, if anyone is interested:
code:
May: 13 (F), 20 (F), 23 (M), 27 (F), 30 (M)
June: 5 (Sun), 10 (F), 11 (Sat), 15 (W, Night only), 26 (Sun), 28 (Tue)
July: 2 (Sat), 4 (M), 5 (Tue), 12 (Tue), 14 (Thu), 24 (Sun), 25 (M)
August: 25 (Thu)
September: 1 (Sat), 19 (M), 20 (Tue), 21 (W), 23 (F), 24 (Sat), 27 (Tue), 30 (F)
October: 6 (Thu), 12 (W), 21 (F), 24 (M), 26 (W)
November: 1 (Tue)
These may be day or night depending on what rank you're on and may be unavailable for various plot reasons.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spamming Makarakarn on the November dungeon boss is ridiculously broken. The whole fight lasted maybe four or five turns.

Hard really isn't living up to its name. :v:

e: Also, is there anything special I have to do to trigger the last Fox quest or can I just try fishing at the beach when it's rainy? I remember having to show a Huge Fish to the old dude at the riverbank in vanilla P4, but this time's he's not reacting to the ones I bought from Tanaka.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 6, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

After accepting the ema's request, head to the beach and try to fish; weather doesn't matter. You should get a message prompting you to go talk to the old guy. Talk to him and he'll mention that he wants to see the Samegawa River Guardian as proof that you're ready for ocean fishing. Use Inaba Jeweled Beetles to catch a River Guardian and show that to him to get the rod to fish in the ocean.

Aha, does that mean I actually have to go get the net? I never figured how to get it. :v:

e: Oh wait, it turns out I did get the net. Just didn't figure out the bug catching bit.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 6, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Did they take away save points before the bosses? I walked into the Yukiko boss fight while not paying attention because I didn't see the butterfly.

But it's cool, I was able to beat her on my first try while using up a few precious SP items to replenish. Thank god for abusing SOS on the way up. Still, did they make her a lot easier this time around? It was much less stressful than I remember it. I know of course that Bufu now knocks her down, but always thought the prince she summons healed her a lot more in the original.

Yup. It doesn't really matter since you can restart the floor if you die on every difficulty but very hard. On the other hand, you need to use an item/Traesto to pop out of the dungeon.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

McDragon posted:

That's a real shame. Oh well, guess I'll just call it Amagidyne anyway.

It's a good thing the game makes up for it with Kanji's skill: The Man's Way. :allears:

e: And I didn't really care about P3P all that much when I played it, but goddamn am I loving all the new P3 references in Golden. They mention Natsuki during the ski trip!

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 7, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Schubalts posted:

It's funny how Teddie is the closest the MC gets to kissing another guy.

Yosuke was the one who got the intimate hug option, even in vanilla P4. :colbert:

What I'm saying is everyone on the IT should be romance options. :v:

You do get a bunch of opportunities to insinuate your interest in dudes in P4G, so it's a start.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 7, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Got the Valentine's event with the dudes. It was glorious. :allears: Yosuke called us "bromantically entangled" and then he and Teddie tried to co-opt Kanji's thank you gift to MC-kun.

Certainly better than any lameass date with a girl. :colbert:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kashiwagi gives you the Gekkou uniform costumes for acing the last exam. It makes everyone mimic a SEES pose and catchphrase and is pretty great fanservice.

Anyone know who Kanji's supposed to be? I've narrowed it down between Akihiko and Shinjiro, but I've got no idea.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

3/5 stats maxed out, I'm just about to enter the secret laboratory dungeon. Fun stuff, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm not getting enough of the S-Links done. Chie's maxed, everyone but Naoki, Old Lady, Day Care, Tutor are around the 5ish level. Haven't even started Naoto yet. Doesn't the old lady only show up on Sundays, too? Ugh, she's going to be a hassle.

And holidays, but yeah, you'll want to prioritize Death if you want to max it. You only get two chances to rank it up after December. I managed to max everything out but had Death sitting at 7 by the end.

Also, you can't start Naoto's Link until after you beat the Secret Laboratory anyway.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 8, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question for the jester link (big spoilers)
I heard that you get a bad end if you finish it. Like, the instant it gets finished. How are you supposed to max every link if that happens? I also heard a new one forms if you break it at the end, I'm just kind of confused.

There are two ways to max the link. One is through the Conspirator bad ending which auto-maxes it from like 8. The other first changes Arcana (when you meet Adachi alone) and then ranks up to 9 after you beat Adachi and then to 10 at the True Ending.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hit level 99. The only grinding I really did was for cash. This game's exp gains are kind of broken.

Am I correct in assuming that, like in P4, none of my sellable inventory carries over to NG+?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrManiac posted:

Do gems carry over in NG+? It seems like even though I have a ton it's still not enough to get anything but the worst store items.

It's because you also need gems that you can only get through trading fish for with the lady at the shrine at night.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sankis posted:

How often is he out? I swear I haven't seen him anywhere since maybe June.

A note that if "your relationship isn't ready to advance yet", he'll be at Junes, even when he's raining on the aforementioned dates.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pollyanna posted:

Finally loving finished maxing all those S.Links. Almost done with the game, it's been a wild ride motherfuckers.

So what was everyone's favorite line? I'm partial to Yukiko's threat during the pageant. :v:

January spoilers: Hold on there, Sensei! It's dangerous to go alone! Take me!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I just need to get Jester to rank 6 and then the rest is automatic, right?

Just want to make sure I can stop hanging out with him without needing to worry.

Yes, if you follow through to the True Ending, it'll rank up by story. There is one decision you have to make to have it continue when you decide to meet him alone the night of 12/5, I think, but other than that, it's completely automatic.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sometimes a buff to your hit/evasion is e difference between missing 90% of the time and hitting 90% of the time. Yeah, don't ignore them.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there anyway to leave the February dungeon? Traesto doesn't work. Does it have to be done in one go?

You can use that dungeon's equivalent of a Goho-M. I forget what it's called, but it's pretty dang common.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

loving hippy and his Control skill. I have no idea how I cleared this without a problem on the PS2. Chie, Naoto and Yukiko simply obliterate me in one turn. I'm thinking a Null Phys Persona and trying to squeeze off a Rakukaja before they act.

Control ain't a problem if the fight ends before then! :v: Spam Makarakarn once the atmosphere changes and the boss pretty much deals with himself.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can only get non-rank up events during the day. I'm guessing you don't have enough points for make it to the next rank yet, so you can either draw fortunes until you feel you'll become closer soon, or spend time with him during the day.

Kanji on the other hand has the most carefully constructed texts:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

McDragon posted:

Haha, people's reactions to the main character going round dungeons in swim trunks are awesome, but Kanji's is the best. Something along the lines of "You just don't give a crap, do you?"

Putting all the dudes in nothing but bath towels is even better. Especially Yosuke's reaction. :allears:

Having costumes carry over to NG+ also means new dialogue if you happen to put on stuff before their relevant events. It's like a tiny easter egg.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 10, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say go for it. He's really difficult to find sometimes (I ended giving up looking for him on the very last day at level 99) and if you wipe, you can always restart the floor.

It'd be a good test to see if you can even survive a Mind Charge -> Physical Attack -> Megidolaon. :shepface:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PureRok posted:

Ha! Destroyed the Reaper after four tries. I got Blade of Totsuka for my trouble. :toot:

The trick to get him to show up reliably is to save before opening the chest that starts the rattling (chest 20 or 21, can't remember) and then open the chest on a floor with a lot of gold chests. If there are nothing but gold chests and 1 normal chest, open a gold chest and the normal chest is guaranteed* to spawn him.

*anecdotal evidence

Or you could go to the fifth floor of Yukiko's Castle. Only two chests spawn there ever. :v:

Anyone else find it odd how the credits sequence in the TV listings menu is missing the credits part? :psyduck: What if I wanted to confirm Benjamin Franklin's contributions to writing Engrishy J-Pop, Atlus?

Also, is there a way to unlock or even just see vanilla P4's Normal/True Ending credit sequence?

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larsson posted:

Just to make sure...does the game auto-save before I enter the TV on 2/13, or can I get back to the log cabin after going back to town?

No. And you can't leave the TV once you enter, but you can go to the Junes' TV or go directly to the shops.

• Locked thread