Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just started playing P4G over the weekend, and I'm loving it so far. I played the original Persona when it first came out but haven't touched any SMT games since then.

A few questions:

- Persona fusion is a bit confusing. How do I decide what to fuse? I've seen charts that tell how to determine what you get, but do I just fuse whatever will give me the highest level result, or are there specific skills I should go for? Do party member Persona upgrades only come from Social Links?

- How many tries does a dungeon generally take early in the game? I just reached and defeated the knight miniboss in Yukiko's Castle in one night, then quickly ran out of HP and SP and didn't want to use up all my items. If I leave and go back in another day, do I start at the same place I left, or do I have to slog through the whole thing again?

- Does Marie ever become a party member?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Thanks for the answers.

One other thing -- should I bother going into the TV world in between kidnappings (if it's even possible), or should I just stay out and build stats and social links? The game doesn't seem to give a whole lot of direction on what exactly to do when you're not rescuing someone.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've gotten up the fourth (I guess? Rise's strip club) dungeon, and it has gotten to the point where a lot of the random monsters on higher floors are able to one-shot my party members.

It's not even a matter of running out of SP - some of these things will just unleash a crazy 300 damage attack, and if I don't get a Player Advantage, I occasionally don't even get to take a turn before my MC dies. Really sucks when this happens seconds after finding a great piece of gear in a golden chest.

I did full-clears of all the previous dungeons, but I haven't gone back and run them a second time. Is it really necessary to go back and grind up levels to proceed with the story?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrAristocrates posted:

What level are you? What Personas are you using? If you're not at least level 30 by the top floors you probably need more experience.
Level 25, mostly using King Frost and Anzu. I was fine until around the 6th floor, and then I started running into guys that are doing insane, party-wiping damage.

I tried the sub-boss on the 8th floor, and it was going well until he got a lucky critical on my main character.

I guess I can go back and run the Sauna again, but the experience seems kind of slow.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Stux posted:

if you're fine until the 6th floor then level up around there, you don't have to go back to an older dungeon. also make sure your gear is up to par.
My gear is the best I can buy right now. There's really not much available at the shop, even after selling all of the gear components I've found.

I'll go try the bonus bosses. The Contrarian King kicked my rear end the first time I tried him (everything is fine until he randomly does Rampage), but I'm about ten levels higher now. Haven't tried a re-run of the bathhouse yet. How bad is that bonus boss?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrAristocrates posted:

Bonus boss is annoying because he spams Garula and Bufula, but he's weak to a bunch of stuff and drops a good weapon for Kanji. Nowhere near as bad as the king.
Okay, I've killed both the Contrarian King and the Intolerant Officer, and neither of them dropped a weapon. Is it seriously not a 100% drop rate, or is there something I needed to do first?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Shortest Path posted:

On my current playthrough (my first one in the new version of the game) on hard difficulty I was 34 on entering Rise's dungeon. I cleared both previous dungeons on their first available day and have never entered on other days to grind. Then again I also had Yosuke at rank 6 before starting Kanji's dungeon and had an overleveled Jack Frost carry the poo poo out of me.

Are you making sure to completely clear each floor? That will make sure you're kept up with exp gains, especially if you abuse Shuffle Time and Golden Hands as much as you can get away with.
Yep, I'm full clearing everything, though as I said, I didn't go back and play through the bonus version of any dungeons.

I'm playing on Normal. Jack Frost and King Frost are my go-to personas, and I have a few other to fill out extra needs (healing, big lightning, debuffs).

My social links are pretty good. Yosuke is at 8; Chie and Yukiko are both 6. I haven't done anything with Kanji yet.

I usually just avoid the treasure hands. I can rarely kill them before they escape, even when I lower their defense. Occasionally I can kill one or two when I use Chie's "everyone crits" skill (Revolution?).

I'm not sure why my levels are so low. I check every corner of every level and fight every shadow other than the hands. I also try to full clear shuffle time when possible, although sometimes that involves taking "half exp" cards.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrAristocrates posted:

You should start Kanji as soon as you can, the event that unlocks it isn't available during summer vacation and he'll be woefully behind by then (he also learns one of his most useful skills at rank 6, for what it's worth).
As long as I've gotten him to rank 1, I can keep leveling him up through the summer though?

I spent way too much time working on the emotionally damaged drama club girl, because reasons.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Really Pants posted:

That's right. Talk to the girl by the stairs on the 2nd floor of the class building, then talk to Kanji on the 1st floor of the practice building.
Once summer vacation starts, is it impossible to rank up social links with people that only show up at the school like the cultural and sports club people?

I didn't finish leveling up Yumi before school ended.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I think I'm basically at the end of the game (just unlocked alternate Inaba).

I know the game goes on for a bit after that, but is it all scripted events, or do you still have opportunities to run around, build s-links, and such?

I ended up being one day short of finishing the Devil s-link and it really bummed me out. I'm missing a bunch of the other job-related ones and the sports club, too. (And Adachi's, but obviously it's too late for that one now.)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Poonerman posted:

Haven't gotten a single distress call yet, and I've been online in every dungeon. I really used to enjoy it, too. :smith:
I noticed that distress calls don't seem to come in until I put out my first one in a given session.

I'm finishing up my first-ever playthrough, and I've had a great time with the game. It's amazing how much depth and detail they put into everything, especially the dialog (though it can be a bit long-winded -- no, Yosuke, you don't have to rehash what we just talked about five more times).

I'll probably wait on New Game+ though. It sounds like there's very little that changes story-wise.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I looked up what that required, and it seemed ridiculous.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Poonerman posted:

It's not really that bad. If you use every party member a decent amount and aren't ridiculously overpowered, you're bound to get it.
I refuse to ever put Teddie in my party for any reason whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

chie is a failure of a party member

open your eyes and accept the truth
Galactic Punt is great.

Am I the only one who went with an all-girl party (including the MC in drag, of course) once Naoto became available?

• Locked thread