Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Parker Lewis posted:

OK, I wasn't sure if playing on Normal+ difficulty forced you to take things a few floors at a time, which seems like it would do a better job of mixing up social time vs. dungeon time.

I haven't started getting those types of quests yet but that's good to know, thanks.

Playing it on Easy is missing the point! But yes, on your first playthrough, normally you'd do a few visits to Tartarus over the course of the month. Once you know more about the game and what the best tactics are, it's often better/easier to do it all in one go, but I do not think that is the norm for your first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Shield of Justice trivializes the true last boss.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cannot Find Server posted:

The overarching lore of Persona tells me that Teddy was probably made sentient by Philemon.

I don't even think that's necessary, seeing as how we've had incidents before where [spoiler]Shadows attain sentience. Maybe not to the same degree as Teddie does, but you have the Nyx Avatar from P3, and Shadows in general tend to be sentient, just uncontrollable, wild or bestial. I don't think it takes any deus ex machina to provide sentience to them--if anything, it likely just means that Teddie was a child's shadow whose original body died, leaving him adrift or something. It's hard to say, ultimately![spoiler]

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Frankly, a PS3 Persona would be enough. We haven't really seen the franchise on anything stronger than a PS2, so if they have late-gen specs to work with and a pretty flexible budget, I expect they may really knock this one out of the park. P5 has had a lot of development time, potentially, before even this slight teaser. I suspect we're going to see something REALLY big.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

thebardyspoon posted:

Ok, can I still level up the Empress social link during the last dungeon then? Or is it too late at that point? Remember you have to walk around talking to all your completed S.Links before that point so was thinking it might be. Think I have the money to do it now, possibly and I could burn a day going into TV world and get some xp/money before Marie's dungeon if I need too.

So long as you can summon the Personas she requests, you can finish her in one go at any point in the game so long as you can access the Velvet room. That said, you may want to use a guide and you're well off in doing most of her stuff much earlier--for one thing, she asks you to make very useful Persona and for another, if you need money/materials/experience, it's less tedious to gather that during the main plot than trying to farm the last dungeon.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

Junpei comes across a lot better in the FeMC's path in P3P. He's a little bit of an rear end towards her, but he gets over it quickly, and since he has an S. Link you get to see more of him being a genuinely caring and endearing friend, noticeably more mature than Yosuke, instead of just him being a goofball spaz.

Plus you get a more clear development/definition of him being an rear end. He's sullen and moody at first and he resents a woman being chosen for leadership over him and he makes that plain. However, he comes to respect your raw ability (versus his capacity to gently caress up, and he does indeed gently caress up) and a partnership develops. It's not preachy, and it feels natural.

I really like how Junpei grows throughout P3. His relationship with Chidori being the crux of his character, and once you learn his backstory with his parents and stuff (which I think is largely explored in the Answer?) it sort of makes a lot of sense why he is the way he is, and that makes his self actualization all the more satisfying.

Yosuke, although a more endearing character, never really grows past his problem. He sort of quietly accepts non-leadership, but I guess it's sort of assumed that by forging genuine friendships with you and the other Scoobies, he gets over his boredom and resentment of Inaba. Still, it's not very clear--P4 might have benefitted from the second half of the game having the party members need to confront remnants of their past/shadows/problems and demonstrate how they've grown to overcome them. Then again, that might have made the game 50 hours longer so eh.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked the Answer. It was brutally hard, almost entirely dungeon and boss battle intensive, you got to have sweet duels against certain main characters and also had cool music bits. In other words, it was an actual SMT game.

babbies up in this thread need to play a game with balls like Strange Journey

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Oblivious posted:

I tried to play Strange Journey but stopped because I didn't care about anyone or anything that was happening v:shobon:v

The Answer is like that except not as potent. The Answer at least takes characters I like and then has them do stupendously uninteresting and rehashed things.

That's a shame, I think Strange Journey has one of the best supporting casts in SMT games. You have a lot of really cool NPCs who you grow attached to over the adventure. The atmosphere is really rich too.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This honestly just makes me want a Gas Station Attendant playable DLC.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

McCracAttack posted:

Oookay, I was misunderstanding that part of the shadows then. There's been lots of dialog about how the characters needed to stand up and accept these ugly parts of themselves and how everyone has thoughts and feelings they're ashamed of. I thought the game was headed towards "You need to accept that this lisping stereotype is a part of you." But your explanation makes the whole thing fall into place. The game was probably going to spell that out for me anyway (or already did and I wasn't getting it) but it just so happens that scene was the last thing I saw before I quit for the night so I was kinda put off. Thanks for pointing that out so I won't be grimacing through the rest of this dungeon.

Yeah, I just thought they were shameful thoughts and feelings turned into monsters. I didn't understand they were like the characters thinking, "Is this the sort of monster I am for having these thoughts?" The whole thing makes much more sense now. I got that one wrong.

Consider the Shadows to be how the character sees themselves, in a sense --a warped version of the aspects of themselves they repress. For Kanji, his "masculinity" is a major psychological crutch that he's been fronting to hide the shame he feels for his interest in "girly" things. As such, his self-image is that he must be a lisping gay caricature hiding in a tough-guy persona.

All of the characters have sort of layers of self-identity to them, and the Shadow is, like the psychological construct it is based upon, only one part.

If you think Kanji's is weird, wait until you see Rise. Rise actually ends up with the most complicated Shadow/Human/Persona relationship of the cast, for some reason, although I won't say anymore out of spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Most exciting to me is that you are fighting SMT Demons, not Shadows--in that trailer, you can see the group is fighting the Sandman demon. And I didn't see anything explicitly Social Link related either...maybe they're taking the series in another new direction?
I kind of dig the costumes though, everybody looks like a 1940's sort of superhero--Green Hornet kind of guys, wearing domino masks and poo poo.

• Locked thread