Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

(Persona 4 and Arena spoilers)We have no idea if you actually fight Adachi. It looked like in that scene he was just summoning Yukari's Shadow self. He could very well be a battle towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

While I doubt they'd do one for Golden, I'd be very surprised if they didn't do an Endurance Run for P5.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This is the first I've heard of that. It's kind of creepy. What in the world was that eye supposed to be used for? It has an animation and everything.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If I recall, I think there's a trick to avoid taking damage during Old Maid where you set everyone in your party to guard, so the person under the spell doesn't attack the rest of the party.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Captain Mog posted:

Though one thing I do wish they would've done is gone further to resolve Kanji's conflicts about his sexuality and Naoto's gender identity issues, but given Japanese cultural contexts I suppose I can see how even that could be considered progressive.
I can't remember how it turns out for Naoto, but Kanji's issues get resolved pretty well in his social link. For the record, Kanji's issue isn't really about his sexuality, even though it is a first. He just likes girly things and wants to be accepted for it. His confusion, though, stems from that and his attraction to Naoto. And Naoto never had any gender identity issues, she just wanted to be taken seriously and figured dressing as a boy would do that. It might have been vague on purpose, but P4 doesn't do too great a job of getting those points across, since so many people are confused about them in the first place.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Part of it is that there are so few positive video game characters that are gay or trans, and since it looks like Kanji and Naoto respectfully fit those roles, some people will cling onto that thought. They aren't "evil" for doing so, it's just they're perceiving characters incorrectly, just as society does in P4, but in the opposite end of the spectrum. But if anything, it only highlights one of the problems with the game industry, since there really aren't too many gay or transgendered characters out there, especially positive ones.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Prozach posted:

The one Shadow that I haven't understood thus far is Chie's.
Chie is jealous of Yukiko and enjoys how Yukiko depends on her. Basically, she feels that controlling Yukiko maker her better than her. I don't think it actually comes back as an issue later, but you boost her self-confidence in her s.link.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Not really, but only because male route is canon. There are different s.links and a few minor different plot beats, but female route is better, since they made it post-P4. So if you don't really give a poo poo, then just go for it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but I seriously can't think of a single thing The Answer added to P3's plot that's of relevance. I think it can be totally skipped, and you won't miss out on a thing. Well it does introduce Erebus, but it can be described in a single sentence. Check this out:

Erebus is a monster made up of the negative emotions of people and is trying to break Minato's seal so it can free Nyx.

That's everything you need to know about Erebus.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You feel your relationship with Soap has grown deeper.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I hope to god this scene gets animated in the Golden anime. :allears:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah I think the whole Expanded Universe-esque thing they've got going on is for the worse and that it's better to let a story like this lie.

Too many stories don't know when to stop :shrug:
I'd say this easily applies to The Answer and those Naoto novels, but Arena is seriously the best, and you're missing out IMO.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

UberJumper posted:

Also apparently Naoto's is a guy even though he sounds really feminine. :iiam:
Yeah, it's really weird. Maybe they wanted to highlight his "child prodigy" aspect, and wanted to make him sound more boyish, but Naoto's voice actor really doesn't fit. He has a different voice actor in the anime, and that fits him a lot better. I wish they just stuck with that one.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Really Pants posted:

It would be hilarious if they made Marie the canon girlfriend.
I'd be okay with this as long as Yu still nearly makes out with Teddie.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

UberJumper posted:

I was honestly more expecting her to be come out as trans(F->M).
At lot of people will tell you she did.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Sadly too many people still to this day think Naoto is trans, mostly because they either take the Shadow at face value, (like Kanji especially) or they're just dumb.
With Kanji's you're at least supposed to think what the game hints about him, and his actual sexuality is still somewhat unclear, but Naoto being trans is just people reading too far into it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

From my understanding, Vivian from the Japanese version of Paper Mario:tTYD, a game part of a franchise from Japan that has loving Birdo, is a pretty positive trans character, and that came out a decade ago. Not saying we have enough positive trans characters, just that Japan has us beat by a long shot. Also Erica.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

She could be. That's the first I've heard of it, but I don't know much else past "Vivian was trans in the Japanese version." :shrug:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think the story is that the reason her sisters made fun of her in the Japanese version was because she was a biological male who wanted to be female.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

For reference, Mitsuo is the kid that killed King Moron, Hisano is the Death Arcana s-link, and Kashiwagi is your new teacher.

I know P4 is around six or so years old, but a lot of people are still playing it for the first time, and that's a pretty bad spoiler. Could you please tag that?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, I fixed that, my bad.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yo, UberJumper, after this next dungeon -- (or the bonus dungeon if you unlocked it) -- if you want to get the best ending, there's still something a little specific you're going to have to do around the end of the game. It's a bit too early to give you the exact info now, but I'm just giving you a heads up. I can't wait to hear you're reaction, because it blew my mind.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Dehry posted:

They don't freak out too much from what I've seen. Sometimes the wrong animations are played though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCwWW_IC-s
This is why we need PC versions of every Atlus game.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I had a chain wallet in high school and it had a banzai bill on it and it was badass, so shut the gently caress up. :colbert:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

My gripe with Chie's new voice is that it sounds like nails on chalkboard.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You're at the point of the game where battles will only challenge your patience.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I got this along with the PSTV and wow, this is a lot harder than the original.

Like I actually lost to Shadow Yukiko. :stare:

Eh, you might just be a little rusty. Or at least Shadow Yukiko was always a pain for me. But don't worry, shuffle times and golden hands are gonna overpower you to hell. I had everyone maxed out by Naoto's dungeon.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

the decor is fantastic.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

He is the Magician.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Steal Your Heart is all we got.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

To be fair, it's not like it's hard to tell when the game is asking you if you want to date or stay as friends.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Remember the multiple people who were flabbergasted they agreed to date Rise?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

No because we're not retarded. Arguably.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Color Printer posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo
The truth. You must reach out to it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Am I the only one who went with an all-girl party (including the MC in drag, of course) once Naoto became available?
Probably not. Personally, everyone in my party went Super Sentai once I unlocked the Feathermen outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Kanji is the better girl tho

• Locked thread