Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

(Weaknesses stay when you rank up in Golden, even at the new ranks).
What? Really? Ugh, that really bothers me for some reason. Is there at least a way now to equip an item to negate a certain element like in P3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Well now what happens is at Rank 10 instead of the new Persona having no weakness they get Evade *Weakness* skills, but I'm assuming they take up one of the now very limited skill slots.

Also Yukiko and Teddie both get the Evade skills when they never lost their weakness before so it's a bit of a buff to them.
Exactly, the number of skills you'd want was already pretty crowded, and they've only added more (such as Kanji getting Power Charge, gently caress yeah). So losing yet another one, when it's not even for a Null variant, seems to be a big kick in the balls. So pretty much every party-wide attack spell is going to result in an extra turn for the enemies.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Now that I think about, couldn't you just equip some items to emulate having the Evade skills? Probably a better idea to do that than waste a skill. That said, might as well give Naoto some serious consideration since you can more or less mold Naoto's skillset to whatever you want (surely no one would pick all of the -dynes).

So just to clear it up, the 2 months of additional time can be used to max out additional S. Links? Surely not all of them? I can imagine a few that would still be locked out at their usual times.

Any other changes in terms of scheduling that one who has played the PS2 version should be aware of?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well that's what I mean, how many days are lost to new events over the normal year and how many days are added? And which Arcana does either affect (fewer or greater number of days)?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If people weren't supposed to retry constantly to get a good skillset, then Atlus should have made only one skillset possible for all fusions (I think Strange Journey did this). Like it or not, the random element exists to entice long re-tries and it is what people did. To me, it is therefore indeed "fake difficulty" and should have been replaced. Hopefully this is a permanent change, and if people think this will make things too easy aren't considering how easy it would be to nerf it. Just make certain skills nontransferable or do any number of things in the battles to make it harder. At least the latter would be "real" difficulty.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the way, is it still true that physical Vita games strangely load faster than PSN downloaded versions? Might as well pick up The Golden, but I'd want to wait till I actually have a Vita if PSN is the route to go.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chaosapiant posted:

So i'm about 13 hours in, in the second dungeon or so. I am loving this game so far, but I am not seeing it as being "better" than Persona 3. There is something about P3, atmosphere or whatever, that is making me still prefer that one. I am continuing to love P4 more and more though, so that may change. I've heard lots of people talk about how much "improved" P4 is over P3, but am not seeing it. There is more "stuff" but nothing i'd outright call an improvement. Am I missing something?
Well, it's all subjective. Gameplay-wise, you can control your party members of course. Social Links are a top to bottom just better implemented. And of course in Golden, the fusion is the best it's ever been in a Persona game. However, what does it for a lot of people (myself included) are the characters and general theme of P4 over P3. I know I liked those exponentially more than P3's. I'm not sure how much of that would be apparent 13 hours in, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are any of the new S. Links like Death, where you don't need the corresponding Persona to get the most amount of points? That is, they level up at every event. Since it seems they are more restricted in terms of when you can do them, and I'd suspect those new Persona arcana are harder to find earlier in the game anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Nope, they level up automatically sometimes, but for the most part you should probably have the corresponding Persona to help with it. Although it's not like it's entirely necessary, I've never had an Aeon Persona once and I leveled up Marie's just fine.
This, at least, does not list any point requirements for either Jester or Aeon. However this could be just because it is an incomplete guide. Basically if any of these S. Links have ever had events where you just hang out, then there is a point requirement.

I'm just trying to think ahead for when I get Golden and which Links I'll focus on this time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess that sounds about right. Do you start seeing the early Personae of those arcana relatively soon?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How can anyone actually Reverse/Break a Link in P4 anyway? I mean, you make the choice and then it instantly goes bad. All you have to do is reload and not make that choice again.

There are still a lot of things I would like changed about the S. Link system, but P4 definitely went a long way towards fixing P3's issues. More story-related Links, no penalties for ignoring the Link for a while or seeing multiple girls, and a friendship option for the girls.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zetta_Slow posted:

I've been making decent progress on S.Links, if none are available at night I chose to read, and so on. I'm on the first day that the sauna dungeon becomes available. Is it possible to max out social links easily on the first playthrough, assuming you don't break any? Or is it like in Persona 3, where you need to get all your stats up, and then try again? I am planning on replaying it, but I'm trying to get as much as I can in my first playthrough.
I will say this much: in P4 vanilla, I didn't try to max out anyone and hosed up a few of the links (didn't start Death until really late, didn't take advantage of lunches), yet I still wound up maxing out everyone except for Moon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DeathBySpoon posted:

-Buffs and debuffs don't fail if they're already in effect- instead of having to wait for the "Attack reverted" message, you can cast Tarukaja again at any time to extend it for 3 more turns. There is no more "Already in effect" message. This works for any buff or debuff.
Oh Thank Christ. That drove me mad in P4.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

theblackw0lf posted:

Also, are there any stats that affect Dojima's social link?
I think you need max Expression for Dojima and max Understanding for Nanako.

As long as you are spreading the points out it should be extremely easy to max everything except for Diligence well before November. Unless you completely ignore Sun, Temperance, Beef Bowl Specials, and reading for some reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On my second playthrough of vanilla P4, I was able to max out every link very easily. I'm pretty sure I finished mid-November. I was also a little bit more anal about scheduling though... like saving Sun and Hermit for rainy days, and doing only Temperance on Fridays at first. It becomes apparent quite quickly when you look at the schedule that there's simply no point in doing certain Links on different days. Dungeons were of course no problem since Lucifer's Victory Cry and Yoshitsune made just about every fight trivial and thus they could be finished in one day.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

W.T. Fits posted:

This is from an mechanics guide for the PS2 version; presumably, this stuff wasn't changed for Golden:
Does anyone know whether Evade skills stack? Like if I have Yukiko with an Evade Ice skill and she equips the Eye of Ice?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dragon Hustle costs 150 SP. Chie has 299 SP at level 99. :shepface:
Haha, drat.

I found myself pretty happy with Tarukaja and Debilitate personally in the original. I'm not sure Heat Riser is all that necessary.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally got a Vita after trading in a bunch of Wii games, though I'll have to wait for my memory card to arrive. drat it I just played through this game twice not too long ago.

I generally dislike keeping everyone leveled up, so I do prefer to stick to one party. The only characters I'm quite confident I will drop are Chie and Teddie, and then after that it's whether I swap out Yosuke for Naoto. I really like Naoto's new skills, but Yosuke was probably the second most useful fighter I had previously besides Yukiko.

Also gonna ask this again: do Evade skills stack? Such as equipping Yukiko with Eye of Ice along with her Evade Ice skill?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

You can't do the optional boss on NG+ if you choose Easy right? So how does the game factor in the different settings for whether you can fight the boss or not? (Maybe you can fight the boss on easy and I'm wrong)
Interested in the answer to this as well, because I would love love love to be able to keep the difficulty at Normal or Hard but crank up the experience and money rewards on the second run.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Were there any significant changes to the quests? Not that any outside of the Hermit ones were important.

Regarding the new bike events, do they also provide S. Link points (similar to having lunch with that person)? The description also makes it sound like you will only be able to meet your party members at the gas station occasionally; is it hard to see all of the party's bike events on one playthrough as a result?

Reading this thread, it seems like the only things that can catch you buy surprise are the fishing rod and bug net quests, so I'll try to be careful about those.

Should be getting this either today or tomorrow, can't wait.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Might as well just do it for party members you plan to use, then.

E: Actually looking at the movelists themselves, it seems like only Yosuke, Yukiko, Naoto, Rise, and maybe Teddie are worth doing.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 3, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did they take away save points before the bosses? I walked into the Yukiko boss fight while not paying attention because I didn't see the butterfly.

But it's cool, I was able to beat her on my first try while using up a few precious SP items to replenish. Thank god for abusing SOS on the way up. Still, did they make her a lot easier this time around? It was much less stressful than I remember it. I know of course that Bufu now knocks her down, but always thought the prince she summons healed her a lot more in the original.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Goodness, some books double the rate some of your stats go up? That's crazy! Does it actually allow you to max out Knowledge or whatever that much faster or did they increase the number of points needed?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I just tried it out in the few days right before the exams; doubled both studying at home and at the library. The library one actually gave me three boosts because it was that thunderstorm day as well.

Since Diligence and Knowledge are the two you can directly train at home, I'm guessing that those are the only two stats whose rate you can increase? I already have the Diligence book, at the very least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's just really funny to me for some reason. I wonder if it's sort of balanced out by having more night activities to do this time around, or if the points given and points received have been changed around. Getting the Knowledge one so early though seems big, since that's a whole lot of game ahead of you where you will only need to study half as much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yumi is so boring and her Link is bad melodrama. Plus, loving Drama club? Ugh. I don't like Ayane either but she is better than Drama at least. Also why would you romance either of these characters over your party members?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought you couldn't rank up Jester at night if you attended to a Social Link during the day? Because I definitely did all of the night ones in May while doing an assortment of other S. Links during the day as well.

Anyway, if you do Kanji's dungeon in one day on the 19th and fuse a Gurr, it's very easy to get Jester out of the way over the course of May (plus one event in early June).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was certain I read in this very thread people complaining about him not hanging out with you at night if they did a social link event during the day. Guess I was mistaken.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Shadow World has really grown on me and now I actually prefer it over the original opening.

For me it's been worth it, though I did trade in basically my entire Wii library to make the Vita price a bit more reasonable. At least there presumably will be an English release of Ys IV eventually as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
May really is the best month to finish off Jester. Start the Link on the 13th, do the sauna dungeon in one day on the 19th (quite easy), fuse a Gurr, and head to Junes every day to see if he's there. You can wrap it all up by June 5th.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Earlier in the thread it was suggested that on Easy and Very Easy, you can't fight the optional boss in a NG+. However now apparently in NG+ you can individually tweak things like exp and money gained after battles. Was it ever confirmed whether doing any of that affected whether you could fight the optional boss or not?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I haven't tested it myself but I read that you can fight the optional boss on the easiest difficulty. Try at your own risk I guess
The reason I ask is that I can imagine just going hog wild with the extra money on skill cards where as normally you'd be limited by funds. The optional boss being probably the best place to test them out as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yukiko's dungeon is actually super easy to clear in one day if you abuse SOS requests. Just run around on the first floor for a while.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 11, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What, are you kidding? There are a billion things you can miss, just like any JRPG. It's just that there's nothing you can really do to make it "harder or worse". Short of going straight home every day or something and thus ignoring S. Links.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh cool, the bug catching minigame doesn't use up time? Wish I had unlocked it earlier (I just started Void Quest).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I wish I had picked "easy" instead of normal. I'm fighting the boss at the end of the first castle/dungeon. My personas kind of suck but they're about the right level, my gear is about as good as could be expected. The fight goes on for a long time but it's ok I got her pattern down. Focus the add, guard when she does her big attack, right cool this isn't so bad. Then when I'm about a turn away from killing her she does the kill everyone attack with no warning and now I have to do the whole fight again.

I'm juuuuuust far enough in the game where starting over would basically mean "get bored and never play it again" so I guess I'm going to do be starting fights over a lot.
Just out of curiosity, are you using Rakunda? I didn't really use that much strategy in that fight beyond Rakunda and Bufu when her defenses went down. Maybe occasionally swapping in a Fire resisting persona (Ukobach?) when she's about to do a big move on top of guarding. There's only so much you can do at that point in the game, after all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You want to have Knowledge at level 4 for the exams in July. If you do so and get all of the answers right (easy), you'll be #1 and get an awesome item from Nanako. The earlier exams in May? also need level 4 Knowledge, which you will not have in time. By the way, getting high marks gets you money from Dojima, an item from Nanako if you're #1, and Social Link points (not level ups, points). None of these things are absolutely essentially, of course.

E: Don't forget to read! There is a book that doubles the rate your Knowledge increases when you study.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 13, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The River Guardian was actually pretty easy, I got two both times I tried it. No point in catching the Sea Guardian yet though as I haven't gotten Hermit up high enough.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nothing like catching three Sea Guardians in a row :cool:

Though I don't think there's much of a point since it doesn't seem like you can trade fish for items anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Feed them to the cat, you'll make his day.
Oh yeah of course there are still those quests, but in vanilla P4 you could trade for some decent equipment too, such as the sword that gives +50% EXP.

• Locked thread