Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gag dammit, what level am I supposed to be when I'm about to fight Shadow Yukiko? Level 13 or so? I don't remember P4 being this difficult - oh wait I'm playing on hard. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Must not read thread. Must not be spoiled. :staredog:

How are you supposed to kill gold monsters again? Is it just buff/debuff and hope for the best or is there a trick to it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The only thing is that I suspect it happens way less often than it did in P4 or P3P, but maybe it's supposed to work that way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The only thing I wish this game had was the ability to help people out without having to constantly hit SOS SOS SOS. :( I'd totally love an alert system just hanging out in the upper left or right corner. But, make it optional for those that wouldn't want it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I assume "Duke Nukem Forever", but Arena is nowhere near the level of DNF. Almost nothing is.

Edit: Guess not :downs:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Word of warning to people who're trying to figure out when they should end their game. Endgame spoilers.

Starting clear data from the Bad End will start you out with practically nothing, save your expression/whatever stats and some key items. This makes the game nearly impossible to speed right through and you'll basically be doing everything all over again. Keep old saves. Be warned.

Also, Teddie has a new VA? I had no idea.

vv I could have sworn the PS2 version had me start off with a lot more than this.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 27, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of fsteak fskewers, P4G has basically made me go insane with hunger. God drat, I want unlimited meat for $30.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I take back what I said about starting a second playthrough early. This makes things so much easier, holy poo poo. Plus, it's really really easy to get back to where you were before on Very Easy, it's taken me a tenth as long to catch up :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can't stand to see people sad and heartbroken, fake anime or not :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: dp

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't see spacy girl anywhere, not satisfied. :colbert:

Moldy Taxes posted:

My Vita is now a portal to the Meat Dimension.

Romance talk: I learned about the Valentine's Day... surprise after I'd already maxed out most of the female links. Looks like I'll be in for a... surprise?

Maybe I'll just opt for NG+ off of the bad ending :smith:

That's not such a bad idea. It makes the game overall easier and opens up some new stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Strange Quark posted:

Doesn't that lock you out of the boss fight with Margaret on NG+? I mean, it is sort of a next to impossible fight not everyone would care about doing, but still.

Oh well, I'll just start another playthrough if I feel like it. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god, Adachi link 5 (or so) spoilers.

The story Nanako's reading is the book Akinari wrote in P3P.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just finished the true ending and epilogue. It's all over :cry:

God drat, was that awesome. I thought the original was great, but this just blows it out of the loving water. Definitely get this if you're on the fence, I'd even say that it's worth getting the system for it if you're so inclined to do things like that.

True end and epilogue spoilers:

Oh god that was amazing. Seeing everyone six months later :unsmith: Everybody looks really happy, and Nanako really is starting to resemble her mother.

drat, Naoto :stare:

Kanji :lol:

Rise hair big hair.

Apparently Marie's associated persona is Kaguya? Sweet, that's the one I used for the endgame. Wish we could have used her as a party member, but I think it's better this way.

Speaking of Marie, I think it went something like this:

1. Izanami -> Dies after giving birth to Kagutsuchi, splits into:
2. Izanami-no-Ookami + Ameno-sagiri + Kunino-sagiri + Kusumi-no-Ookami AKA Marie -> Regroup after True End into:
3. Izanami-no-Mikoto AKA Mariko Kusumi AKA Magic Weatherwoman

I suppose the game made a point out of redeeming Izanami by using the truth theme against the "do not look at me" portion of the "origin of death" myth, so that she can die for real this time and be reborn as Marie. Hence why the protagonist's persona is Izanagi.

As such, I still think the MC is supposed to be Izanagi's reincarnation v:v:v So in some way, Marie is implied to be the intended route (or maybe not, considering how it went last time).

The world of the Midnight Channel (i.e. inside the TV) is probably supposed to be a manifestation of humanity's thoughts and memories given form, like a metaphysical "fantasy" world vs. our world of reality. Kinda like Gensokyo, without the "forgotten" part. (Or maybe it is, considering the whole conscious vs. unconscious thing?)

So! Any chance for more? Or is it Persona 5 from now on? I have no idea how they're going to top this.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 1, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of the best things about Golden is that the animated cutscenes are actually (relatively) well made this time around.

Well, except for a certain couple of scenes that are just completely and utterly unnecessary...:doh:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

W.T. Fits posted:

Each individual floor resets whenever you leave it. So say you're in Yukiko's Castle, and head up to Floor 4 from Floor 3, if you go back down to Floor 3, it'll have a different layout.

Note that if you warp out of the dungeon and go back in, the floor will be the same as you left it UNLESS you went back to the entrance, in which case it will reset.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Chie has 299 SP at level 99. :shepface:

:laffo: They did that intentionally, didn't they?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nate RFB posted:

Haha, drat.

I found myself pretty happy with Tarukaja and Debilitate personally in the original. I'm not sure Heat Riser is all that necessary.

It is if you like nuking the hell out of bosses like I do :getin: Although I eventually changed it to Great/Normal received/dealt cause I was getting sick of obnoxiously long bosses.

Edit: This is also why I constantly use Naoto. That as well as one of my favorite characters.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 1, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to say it does, if it's anything like Amp and Boost. But don't take my word for it :eng101:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That reminds me, is there a Round 2/Full Stats Max S-Link guide out yet?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Volt Catfish posted:

Can it really be worse than Persona 3's "Battle Panties"?

It's the same thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I called him Akemi Nakajima. Points if you figure out why.

Prism posted:

Isn't he the original Megami Tensei protagonist, who is related to Izanagi?

Exactly. He is present in the original Digital Devil Story novels where everything began, and he is the reincarnation of Izanagi, alongside Yumiko - Izanami's reincarnation.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 2, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Arbite posted:

Do tell...

You'll know them when you see them. If you really want me to go into specifics, both hot spring cutscenes are a little ridiculous, the first one was typical stupid anime fare but the second one did not need the split-second flash of Teddie and Yosuke getting boners. At least, I hope I wasn't just seeing boners in everything. :shepface:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheJoker138 posted:

Every time I play Persona 4 I end up making either ramen or a beef bowl. Every. loving. Time.

This is from a while ago but dammit now I want to learn how to make a beef bowl.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Back when I first played P4 I stopped trying to make lunches in-game because I had no idea how to cook anything. Now I know how to cook everything, I'm so proud of myself (they changed the recipes didn't they)

I think some of them stick around but a lot of them are different. I don't remember california rolls being in the original, for example.

And I think the correct choices for recipes are, in fact, how you're ideally supposed to cook them all IRL.

(poo poo now i need to look up the stuff he makes ingame)

Vaancor posted:

:ssh: Also, has anybody checked out the TV Listings option after midnight on the Vita's clock yet?

All I've gotten so far is a staticy screen where you can poke and shake Teddie and stuff. Is there anything else?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna look for those beef bowl packets next I go to Chinatown.

Schubalts posted:

Just making a joke that it's not P4:FES.

Thank god for that.

And remember that Shadow Whoever tends to be a gigantic rear end in a top hat no matter what, so there's no point in judging them over that. We barely know Saki otherwise.

Can I get a summary of Adachi's whole S.Link? I never managed to finish it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like how I totally missed my chance to up some slinks during December by finishing the dungeon in one go. :downs:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So its a good idea not to rush the bonus dungeon?

The December dungeon, specifically. You get some time to prepare for it, so do some slinks before rushing right in.

McDragon posted:

Oh, that still happens? drat, thought they might have fixed that.

Nope, you still get a timeskip when you finish it no matter when you do so.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheJoker138 posted:

I was over-leveled by the time I got there, so after the first floor I literally just ran by every battle I wasn't forced into.

What he said. Don't bother fighting the battles there unless you're up for the challenge. I was up for it, but even I got bored towards the end.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not forseeing the connection between Izanagi and the MC is nearly impossible because the MC's own persona is Izanagi himself

I liked Marie. Sure, she's a little cliche, but it's sort of difficult to ease a new character into an established story without getting all the other characters to interact with her. Cliches are only as good as they are written, and I think she was written well. It was nice to see Izanami given some redemption, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snix posted:

So, I heard this is a long game, and it most certainly is longer than other games, but I still can't shake this feeling that it's short. I can easily blow through dungeons in one day, I'm fifty hours in, and I'm level 70. I'm after Mitsou's dungeon, though I haven't activated the next dungeon yet. How far am I? I mean, with P3P, I clocked in 100-120 hours, and the in-game time didn't seem to go as fast as it does here, though P3P was also my first venture into the Persona series. Plus, I beat P3P over the span of several months, and I've just been blowing through P4G over the span of a week and a half. Am I just going too fast? Is there more to the game that I just haven't gotten to yet? Is it just a shorter game?

You are a little under halfway done.

edit: What difficulty are you playing on?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 4, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How in the hell are you level 70 that early?!

I can hit 70 by then if I'm playing on Very Easy and come across a few golden hands along the way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HiveCommander posted:

Next runthrough I think I might do the Izanagi Challenge... Max EXP gain, max money gain, max damage dealt and taken, on hard difficulty. Rule: Not allowed to use a persona in battle other than Izanagi

I've been doing this, minus the EXP gain and with normal damage dealt. :unsmigghh:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is also a shameful question, how does a Persona's stats affect damage dealt/taken? What's the difference between armor defense, hit points, and En? Does Lu affect critical hits? How does Ag improve Hit/Ev, if at all? What do the attributes determine, specifically?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna try to finish my Izanagi-Only Max S.Link Sort-Of Hard Mode runthrough this week. :getin: Just gotta grind Emperor and Magician cards all the loving time, mang.

Meiteron posted:

It tries but it doesn't, really.

Some people really hate the boss but I suspect they may have not figured out the trick because the trick to the fight is pretty great and a good AHA moment if/when you figure it out. With it the fight is pretty standard.

What did it end up being? I forget and probably killed the boss too quickly to notice it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh yeah, that's what I did too.

Meiteron posted:

E: I've read a couple complaints about people who hate that fight because they spent like an hour on it and I assume they got stuck at the second step there without thinking laterally.

You can pin most of the complaints about the battle system on this, to be honest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pretty sure they do, actually.

Is there a way to fuse up a Jester arcana persona? I need it for the Jester social link (or does it not matter for them?) and the fusion table says you can only get a Jester by fusing another Jester.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm at max stats and following a guide and I'm still unsure if I can get all social links in this round. :negative:

Strange Quark posted:

e: Also, is there anything special I have to do to trigger the last Fox quest or can I just try fishing at the beach when it's rainy? I remember having to show a Huge Fish to the old dude at the riverbank in vanilla P4, but this time's he's not reacting to the ones I bought from Tanaka.

EDIT: What he ^ said.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Burning Petals is severe damage to Maragidyne's heavy damage. Yeah, full tier up.

U.T. Raptor posted:

The game is just catching up, that's all :colbert:

You might be biased :v: (I am too, though.)

I usually run MC/Naoto/Yukiko, with the last slot changing up a bunch. MC Debilitates, Naoto Heat Rises, Yukiko Mind Charges, and the battle's over by the next turn. Rise's extra skills help out a whole bunch, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: damit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chie's punted the thing each time I've come across it. :v: I barely remember it either.

• Locked thread