Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Undead Unicorn posted:

There's a cutscene skip feature, don't worry.

And, if you don't want to skip them, but are sick of having to hit a button every time someone's said something in order to hear the next line, try enabling "Auto-Advance" in the options menu. Doesn't speed it up much, but makes it flow much better, at least to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Goddamnit, with earbuds in, you can't clamp your thumbs down over the speakers when Chie speaks :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Walker posted:

Voicechat: If Erin Fitzgerald uses the same adorable tomboy voice for Chie that she did for Erica I can't see how any of you crazy people could be against that.

How about Teddie? I did not like Dave Wittenberg, is Riegel any good?

I was fond of the old Teddie, and this Teddie isn't beary bad, but new Chie drives me friggin' bonkers.

RentCavalier posted:

Woah, this is really a feature? That's pretty boss.

Yeah, I love it. Try it out. I tend to be pretty impatient, and I usually play portable games while I'm doing other things, so being able to watch lengthy cutscenes without having to mash the 'x' button to progress things is great.

Also, the "Scene Skip" effect is just perfect.

edit:

Cake Attack posted:

Honestly, I can barely even tell the difference between the two.
surely you meant "bearly"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jerkstore77 posted:

Can someone tell me more about the time limits imposed on this game?

I really don't like games with time limits and like the freedom to grind out levels/skills/whatever without having some time limit over my head telling me I have to press on. Even if there's plenty of time to complete the game, I still tend to not like it.

I understand the day/night cycle, but hearing that the game "takes place over the course of a year" has me worried.

P4 was (arguably) mostly about time management. Got a day off? Would you rather study for your midterms, or build social links, or level up your characters/personas, or work part time jobs, or just say "gently caress it" and go to bed? You can't do it all. Don't expect to be able to. If the thought of this turns you off, don't fret quite yet, though--[at least in P4,] you're provided ample days off during which you're free to catch up on whatever you please. The game is great about telling you what your deadlines are, so you can plan accordingly.

All that said, there is no loving way you're doing everything there is to do on your first playthrough (as far as maxing all social links, all stats, getting every persona, etc.). That's just not gonna happen. If you can handle that, you'll probably have a great time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh my god why did nobody mention this game has optional "TV channels" on the main menu that:

Have a jukebox channel
Have a channel explaining the jungian psychology between actual terms like "Persona" and "Shadow"
Have live videos of a concert where they perform persona soundtracks hahahaha

I guess it updates eventually with cutscenes you see and stuff

I just saw those and holy poo poo turn on the notification so you can run out and see what just got unlocked, that poo poo is so goddamn clever

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Troffen posted:

It seems like they did a much better job this time, no jarring volume discrepancies that I've heard. Chie feels like she might be slightly louder than everyone else, but I think that's just because she's yelling constantly.

(also Chie's new voice is awesome)

Whether you agree or disagree on either point--if you simply must use headphones/earbuds, this might just be worth picking up. :haw:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KongMu posted:

Thanks guys.. from someone that played the original p3 on ps2 i remember it being really useful to max out the magician and the chariot (the athletic dude) first because it allowed you to fuse some really neat personas. I guess ill be focusing on maxing out kanji and yukiko asap then.

Don't neglect Rise. Her skills come in super handy.

In P4, I usually beelined for maxing Brosuke first, not just for the fusion bonus (which gets loving sick nasty at upper levels), but for the combat skills, too. Seemed like his link was the quickest to level up.*

Do your best to make sure your party members' links are (for the most part) keeping up with each other, and, as far as all the other links go, get levels when you can, keeping in mind the sacrifices you'll have to make to get some of them (gently caress YOU AI EBIHARA, I AIN'T WASTIN' A WHOLE DAY ON YOUR SKANK rear end).

edit: * probably because I was focusing on it :v:

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 22, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"This person is dizzy..."

Yo, Teddie, you forget his name?

(Does this persist throughout the rest of the game, it just saying "this person is _______" when a debuff happens?)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I love seeing what everybody else does with their days--

4/18 -

Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Into TV
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Into TV
Ate at Aiya
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie

Anxious to get to know the new girl right off the bat, eh, guys and gals?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Well, that's clever. Start + PS Button = in-game screenshot.

Also, add me to the "Spent w/ Marie" list. :v:

edit: Woah, two people responded to my SOS at the same time!

~*you are not alone*~

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 23, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

All versions came with the skin. Solid Gold just came with even more extra poo poo. Like the Persona themed hard case and a hard face cover.

AND STICKERS :shepface:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
4/29 (morning)- Showa Day:

Into TV
Into TV
Into TV
Ate at Aiya
Ate at Aiya
Into TV
Ate at Aiya
Into TV
Into TV
Ate at Aiya
Went straight home

I hope it's the same guy who went straight home the first day he could go into the TV :allears:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Schubalts posted:

I love seeing all the bubbles for people who didn't spend time with Nanako at every opportunity. Soulless monsters, the lot of them.

I don't blame them for not wanting to spend time with the main antagonist of the game:ssh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

Talking to girls is legit scary man. Nothing like fighting demon gods.

I'll traipse around a dungeon for hours on end for you, armed with just a golf club, slaying monsters and getting the poo poo kicked out of me by tables and dancing hands and floating whale things, but there's no way in hell I'm straight-up asking for your number.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 24, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I join the drama club for the initial SLink and then abandon them in favor of more important things, like reading about vampires, eating, folding paper cranes--you know, important stuff.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
https://www.atlus.com/p4g/v/ir5xpJYzDd08

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Just noticed they eased up on the "five-o'clock-shadow effect" that the character portraits all had in P4.

Also, my SOS phrase is "Bearsona Let's Go! Thanks To Sensei!" The image is, of course, Teddie.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Downright shameful question here: on a weapon, does the HIT stat indicate how often the character equipped with it will score a critical hit or how often their physical attacks will connect in general?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
konohana sakuya, why did you learn mudo, you're not supposed to have that

I've been letting my team pick its own moves during fights, and so far, it's been going well. One of the things that frustrated me about P3 was party members behaving stupidly in battle ("its weakness, Junpei, hit its weakness, Junpei noooooo"), so I was hesitant to try it out. I suspect, though, as I progress, and everyone's personas start learning more advanced, situation-specific moves, that I'll have to go back to Direct Commands. Nobody's using buffs or debuffs in fights, but are pretty darn good at prioritizing targets, hitting downed enemies, attacking weaknesses, and healing when necessary. It's speeding things up in dungeons, but I wouldn't let them do their own thing while facing a boss...

("brosuke heal me don't punch hulk hogan in the face heal me heal me...goddamnit" :downs:)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ChiTownEddie posted:

So I am early June in the game (not far, yeah yeah). What are these weapons and armor you can make? Is that something that'll come up later? The weapon guy mentioned being able to make stuff if I bring him special supplies...where do those come from? The dungeons?

Yeah, just go to his shop and sell him loot that you've gotten off of monsters in the dungeons. If he recognizes something he can use, he'll make a new item automatically and then you'll be able to buy it in the shop.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"Not you! I don't even know your uncle!"

:allears: Brosuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Schubalts posted:

Gurr is the earliest Jester you can fuse.

And, is pretty beefy stat-wise for as early as you can fuse it. Ugly bastard's saved my rear end a couple times, that's for sure.

fake edit:

ARE RAHDISHES THE SAME AS TERNUPS :byodame:

• Locked thread