Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Knightmare posted:

That's the main concern, yes. I wasn't involved in p2p lending in 2008 but the recession tore through the main p2p site at the time (I forget the name, maybe it was Prosper?)
Yeah Prosper was hit hard in the last recession and never really caught back up with LC. Supposedly the whole industry tightened up lending requirements but it's been long enough that people have forgotten and the demand for yield is so high they don't really have to have strict underwriting to keep the lenders coming. I still have a small amount in LC, just letting interest build up and reinvest automatically. Haven't added any cash in a long while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah I put in an IRA contribution January of this year, but don't plan on putting in any more. Only buying 3 year notes, so hopefully won't be hit too hard in the next recession. Of course all my reinvested notes will be hit but at least my original investment should be mostly repaid

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

April posted:

Same here. Last month set a record for my interest paid.

would be interested in an update, particularly a long range historical that shows your performance since you began (2012?)

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ok - I started in November of 2011. Here are my notes to date:

My Notes at-a-Glance 3621
Not Yet Issued 18
Issued & Current 2,092
In Grace Period 9
Fully Paid 1,231
Late 16 - 30 Days 8
Late 31 - 120 Days 35
Default 1
Charged Off 227

And here are my payments:

Payments $60,852.22
Payments to Date $60,852.22
Principal $50,140.41
Interest $10,709.70
Late Fees $2.10

I have not added any funds in the last couple of months, but it's still growing nicely. For example, in August, I deposited $0, but my total open notes went up by 30. My total deposits, over the 5 years I've been in, were slightly under 30k, and my current account value is around $36,600. A 20% gain over 5 years doesn't look like much, but keep in mind, I put in a few hundred here and there for 5 years, so some of those deposits are much newer. My net annualized return is around 7.94%. Also, most of my charge-offs are older, from when I was not as choosy on picking notes, and going on emotion rather than numbers.

Not sure if all this is what you guys were asking, so let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

April posted:

Also, most of my charge-offs are older, from when I was not as choosy on picking notes, and going on emotion rather than numbers.
How much "work" do you put into it though?

You might want to calculate the value of that time as a cost, since it scales linearly in a way that a mutual fund doesn't -- if you wanted to double the amount you were investing in this, you'd need to do twice as much picky-choosey-work.

April
Jul 3, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

How much "work" do you put into it though?

You might want to calculate the value of that time as a cost, since it scales linearly in a way that a mutual fund doesn't -- if you wanted to double the amount you were investing in this, you'd need to do twice as much picky-choosey-work.

I now use bluevestment to automate my note-buying. I spent an hour or so setting up filters when I signed on with them, maybe a year ago, and now I spend about a half hour or so once a month updating my database.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

April posted:

I now use bluevestment to automate my note-buying. I spent an hour or so setting up filters when I signed on with them, maybe a year ago, and now I spend about a half hour or so once a month updating my database.

Mind sharing your bluevestment filters?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Nifty posted:

Mind sharing your bluevestment filters?

Here's a screenshot:

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.
So prosper is getting rid of their secondary loan market:

quote:

A Message from Prosper and Folio Investing

We are writing to let you know that as of October 27, 2016, Prosper will no longer offer the Folio Investing Note Trader platform, the secondary market for Prosper Notes. Prosper has found over time that very few investors are using the secondary market and, as such, has made the decision to no longer offer this service. We apologize for any inconvenience that this causes. Prosper remains committed to its retail investor clients and to providing them a great experience.

Here’s what this means for you: The secondary market trading service will be available as normal until end of day (5:30 pm PST) October 19, 2016. After that time, any new orders to list Notes for sale will not have sufficient time to be completed and processed before the site becomes unavailable to users at the end of day (5:30 pm PST) on October 27, 2016.

Once the secondary market trading service is terminated, you will not be able to sell Notes that you own, and you will need to hold them to maturity.

I have a decent amount of money in both prosper and lending club. I think this is going to prompt me to slowly cash out of Prosper. I haven't used the secondary market much, but I like that it exists, one of the big draws for p2p lending for me is that it is semi-liquid. You would think that the people at prosper would understand this is a major part of its value proposition?

I wasn't really ever too spooked by the LC controversy earlier in the year but it did kind of get me to start worrying about Prosper. It's a private company and under much less scrutiny. Is this a first sign of some internal troubles or am I just being paranoid? Anyone else planning to back away from Prosper because of this?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

a cat posted:

I have a decent amount of money in both prosper and lending club. I think this is going to prompt me to slowly cash out of Prosper. I haven't used the secondary market much, but I like that it exists, one of the big draws for p2p lending for me is that it is semi-liquid. You would think that the people at prosper would understand this is a major part of its value proposition?

I wasn't really ever too spooked by the LC controversy earlier in the year but it did kind of get me to start worrying about Prosper. It's a private company and under much less scrutiny. Is this a first sign of some internal troubles or am I just being paranoid? Anyone else planning to back away from Prosper because of this?
Are you gonna dump your loans or hold them to the end?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a cat posted:

Anyone else planning to back away from Prosper because of this?

This is hosed for them, I'd have to think. I've recently been building up my Prosper balance but will now be looking for another LC alternative (I still use LC as a primary P2P site) to diversify and won't be adding more. I'll ride it out otherwise, but not sure about re-investing returns.

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.

ShadowHawk posted:

Are you gonna dump your loans or hold them to the end?

I think I'll hold them and just cash out the proceeds instead of reinvesting from now on.

Also, Lending Club too seems to have deemphasized note trading at least in their user interface, it's pretty hard to find. I found it, but it's clearly not considered a first class feature. I wonder if the note trading days numbered there too?

a cat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 12, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Seems like Prosper new issues are way easier to get E-HR grades all of a sudden.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have a few hundred dollars 'extra' from my bonus this year and wanted to see if I can use that to get into P2P lending. It looks like Lending Club is the way to go. If I steal April's Bluevestments filter and throw $500~ (while taking other general advice, such as paying attention to what potential borrowers write, and how the write it, the purpose of the loan, etc.), will I at least avoid shooting myself in the foot long enough to learn the ropes to make this a potentially longer term investment?

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I have a few hundred dollars 'extra' from my bonus this year and wanted to see if I can use that to get into P2P lending. It looks like Lending Club is the way to go. If I steal April's Bluevestments filter and throw $500~ (while taking other general advice, such as paying attention to what potential borrowers write, and how the write it, the purpose of the loan, etc.), will I at least avoid shooting myself in the foot long enough to learn the ropes to make this a potentially longer term investment?

Do you have six months living expenses in cash saved, and already contribute a "normal" amount to a traditional retirement account? What time frame are you planning have this money tied up for?
$500 is 20 notes which still allows for a lot of variance, meaning you could easily do worse than break even. It's definitely not that uncommon for loans to default and just a few bad coin flips and you will lose money on your investment. Though you probably won't lose the bulk of the $500 at least.
Ignoring the variance issue, the big question is "would I be better off putting this in a stock index fund and not touching it?"
Personally, and these are just non scientific feelings, I feel the two are fairly compatible in terms of returns and risk IF (and this is a big IF) you took out of the equation the meta consideration that this is all uncharted territory, that no one knows how these notes perform in worse market environments, that it's not a guarantee Lending Club is still a company in ten years, future regulation, etc etc etc.

That said, these opinions all err on the side of extreme safety, and are not necessarily things I followed to a T throughout my life or p2p investment career, and I have probably more in lending club than is strictly a good idea right now. If this is money you would otherwise spend on dumb poo poo or something, it's not the worst place you can put your money.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've got money in the bank for about a half a year and contribute 10% to my 401k. I've no debt and so this money is very 'safe' money in that I'm ready to lose it all on an investment experience.

I'd like to commit to 36 month notes until I gain more confidence in my understanding and the system as a whole.

Are their bulk statistics about default rates, expected returns, etc that one can view by chance?

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've got money in the bank for about a half a year and contribute 10% to my 401k. I've no debt and so this money is very 'safe' money in that I'm ready to lose it all on an investment experience.

Oh, yeah, you're good. Sorry, wasn't sure where you were coming from, so I just defaulted to super safe mode.

There's a bunch of stats/data here:
https://www.lendingclub.com/info/statistics-performance.action
check out all the links below the "Lending Club Statistics" header.

I use
https://www.nsrplatform.com
Which I think you can get totally free for the amount you're planning on putting in. They let you do some pretty quick, intuitive analysis. It helps if you google stuff like "simple lending club strategies" and then plug them in there.
I never tried any competing platforms, and I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the pay version of NSR (which I use), but there's really no drawbacks or costs for an account your size. There are competing ones that I think people have mentioned here but I've never tried, but they are probably also free for your account size.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
From what I recall reading, you want to be able to invest around $2500 to mitigate problems with defaults, otherwise you're at a much higher risk for bad coin flips as stated above.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also the returns are like 6-10% so it's a nice diversification for almost zero effort, but it's not amazing or anything.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is a very credible and thorough blog on lending factors: https://www.orchardplatform.com/blog/

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My LC returns have taken a dive over the last few months and the next few months aren't looking good either. I'm thinking I'm going to turn off auto reinvestment and let the remaining notes slowly run their course over the next 3 years. They're a pain at tax time and I don't have the desire to closely monitor the platform anymore.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Saint Fu posted:

My LC returns have taken a dive over the last few months and the next few months aren't looking good either. I'm thinking I'm going to turn off auto reinvestment and let the remaining notes slowly run their course over the next 3 years. They're a pain at tax time and I don't have the desire to closely monitor the platform anymore.

Same. I stopped a number of months ago when the CEO was fired and then the CFO quit shortly after. My returns have been quite a bit lower than their blend estimate and charge offs have been high. Like you I don't have time to micromanage it and with the auto-investment system, my returns aren't all that great.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I feel the same. My adjusted NAR is 3.39%. Not exactly awe inspiring.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hmm, isn't poor performance here kind of a bellwether for the wider economy as well?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ohgodwhat posted:

Hmm, isn't poor performance here kind of a bellwether for the wider economy as well?

Prosper isn't performing like poo poo. Lending Club clearly relaxed their lending standards to build more volume, or otherwise their risk model is turning out to be poo poo.

sg54
May 9, 2012
Did the same with mine last September. The returns were starting to suffer and my delinquent notes kept increasing. Oddly enough, I noticed a lot of my notes getting paid off within the first 6 months - great that I'm getting my principal back but the returns from those notes were meh.

ohgodwhat posted:

It's possible - but I'd also look at how LC is vetting the people they agree to give loans to. Something just feels off.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I just had a couple of newly issued and 1-payment-history loans sell at a 5% markup over the last week. I guess there's literally no reason for me not to put all my notes up for sale on the aftermarket at a 5% markup, is there?

It's strange; I would have thought the blue sky exemption would have obviated the need for people to buy aftermarket notes in lieu of investing via an actual LC account, hence no more purchases of loans at markup, but I guess not!

nicky_glasses
Jun 20, 2011

Toyland Social Club

ohgodwhat posted:

Nope. Ya'll are just speculating at a very inefficient (tax, expenses) and random way. I explained before in this thread why p2p investing is bad for about 98% of us. But to answer your question, just look at the S&P 500 as a gauge for the economy. And if you want to increase your net wealth through investments tax efficient or not, invest in an index fund that mirrors it (VFINX for example).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
My return after tax is a bit over 9%. That is a bit more consistent now that NZ's main P2P lender has been established for a few years now.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Devian666 posted:

My return after tax is a bit over 9%. That is a bit more consistent now that NZ's main P2P lender has been established for a few years now.

I had similar returns for many years, but the last two years It went from that, to 7.5%, to 4.7% returns, to like 0.5% returns this year (annualized). I consider it great that I haven't actually lost principle, but the returns are discouraging lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Is the drop in returns tied to an increased default rate? Or are there significant arrears that have been building up?

• Locked thread