Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
I know its been said before, but my God it takes a long time to transfer money to Lending Club.

Content: I read today that they are expanding to Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So, when looking at debt consolidation loans (Lending Club) I'm struck by how many are asking for a great deal more than their Revolving Credit Balance. I've seen several in which someone has, say 20k in Credit balance, but are asking for 25 or 30k.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Alereon posted:

A 25-50% excess isn't TOO outrageous, many people have other debts or obligations that they'd like to take care of in the same transaction, I'd just like to see some narrative explanation of where the money is going of it isn't obvious. That said, it does concern me when you see people asking for near the max ($35k) of unsecured debt, I prefer smaller loans with less round figures.

I have started sending the "If multiple purposes..." question to a lot of folks, though so far no one has come back with anything meaningful. I guess the first thought that comes to my mind is that someone wants to consolidate their debt to make it easier to run up more. "If I can cut my APR in half I could totally afford to buy a new tv!!" Perhaps I'm too much of a cynic.

I've also been a bit surprised by how many people seem willing to loan money without any questions asked at all - though I wonder if many of those are the automatic investments. Cuz "Small Business Loan" is not enough explanation for me.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

But nothing they put in a narrative is verified, and you can't ensure that they will follow through with their plan. So why bother asking? I guess if you wanted a writing sample to possibly judge intelligence? The loan category is just personal finance Darwinism: Debt consolidation loans get funded, small business/medical/wedding loans do not. This is rather ironic because I'm sure that lots of people who need debt consolidation are those that funded stupid purchases, weddings, etc with high APR credit cards. So P2P lenders look down on those who ask to borrow money for foolish purchases, yet applaud those who have already done so (debt consolidation) as moving towards fiscal responsibility. I fall prey to the same mentality, and I don't have a way to reconcile it.

No, there is no way to verify it, so it is mostly for the writing sample. Of course that is probably a false sense of security, but I'd be more interested in brief business plan than no explanation at all. If someone is turning their life around or starting/expanding/improving their small business you're doing good deed. Making money and saving the world! You can't beat that poo poo!! Is it foolish, perhaps but and it makes the choice seem less random, less of a gamble.

Medical costs can get out of control, so I am not personally opposed to those loans.

Weddings - I just kind of upset when I hear about the cost of them - though if they are going to pay it off what do I care - different strokes for different folks. I like going to fancy weddings.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
I have four fully paid loans and only have a total of 25. I started well over a year ago.

I meant to keep putting money in, but other things came up.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 17, 2014

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
I have my first note go into grace period, son of a bitch. I think this is the first payment too. I don't have very many notes, but I'm pushing 2.5 years so I knew at some point one of them would go belly up.

I know some, as policy, sell them as soon as anything looks fishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

It's not that unusual for a first payment to be made in the grace period.

I know, it just bummed me out.

• Locked thread