Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.
I signed up for Prosper, then just put a bunch of money into notes using the "Quick invest" feature with all defaults set, basically just automatically choosing any loans that are available. I realize now that this was idiotic. What's the best way to remedy this situation? Wait a few months and sell all the notes and start again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.
So prosper is getting rid of their secondary loan market:

quote:

A Message from Prosper and Folio Investing

We are writing to let you know that as of October 27, 2016, Prosper will no longer offer the Folio Investing Note Trader platform, the secondary market for Prosper Notes. Prosper has found over time that very few investors are using the secondary market and, as such, has made the decision to no longer offer this service. We apologize for any inconvenience that this causes. Prosper remains committed to its retail investor clients and to providing them a great experience.

Here’s what this means for you: The secondary market trading service will be available as normal until end of day (5:30 pm PST) October 19, 2016. After that time, any new orders to list Notes for sale will not have sufficient time to be completed and processed before the site becomes unavailable to users at the end of day (5:30 pm PST) on October 27, 2016.

Once the secondary market trading service is terminated, you will not be able to sell Notes that you own, and you will need to hold them to maturity.

I have a decent amount of money in both prosper and lending club. I think this is going to prompt me to slowly cash out of Prosper. I haven't used the secondary market much, but I like that it exists, one of the big draws for p2p lending for me is that it is semi-liquid. You would think that the people at prosper would understand this is a major part of its value proposition?

I wasn't really ever too spooked by the LC controversy earlier in the year but it did kind of get me to start worrying about Prosper. It's a private company and under much less scrutiny. Is this a first sign of some internal troubles or am I just being paranoid? Anyone else planning to back away from Prosper because of this?

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.

ShadowHawk posted:

Are you gonna dump your loans or hold them to the end?

I think I'll hold them and just cash out the proceeds instead of reinvesting from now on.

Also, Lending Club too seems to have deemphasized note trading at least in their user interface, it's pretty hard to find. I found it, but it's clearly not considered a first class feature. I wonder if the note trading days numbered there too?

a cat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 12, 2016

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I have a few hundred dollars 'extra' from my bonus this year and wanted to see if I can use that to get into P2P lending. It looks like Lending Club is the way to go. If I steal April's Bluevestments filter and throw $500~ (while taking other general advice, such as paying attention to what potential borrowers write, and how the write it, the purpose of the loan, etc.), will I at least avoid shooting myself in the foot long enough to learn the ropes to make this a potentially longer term investment?

Do you have six months living expenses in cash saved, and already contribute a "normal" amount to a traditional retirement account? What time frame are you planning have this money tied up for?
$500 is 20 notes which still allows for a lot of variance, meaning you could easily do worse than break even. It's definitely not that uncommon for loans to default and just a few bad coin flips and you will lose money on your investment. Though you probably won't lose the bulk of the $500 at least.
Ignoring the variance issue, the big question is "would I be better off putting this in a stock index fund and not touching it?"
Personally, and these are just non scientific feelings, I feel the two are fairly compatible in terms of returns and risk IF (and this is a big IF) you took out of the equation the meta consideration that this is all uncharted territory, that no one knows how these notes perform in worse market environments, that it's not a guarantee Lending Club is still a company in ten years, future regulation, etc etc etc.

That said, these opinions all err on the side of extreme safety, and are not necessarily things I followed to a T throughout my life or p2p investment career, and I have probably more in lending club than is strictly a good idea right now. If this is money you would otherwise spend on dumb poo poo or something, it's not the worst place you can put your money.

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've got money in the bank for about a half a year and contribute 10% to my 401k. I've no debt and so this money is very 'safe' money in that I'm ready to lose it all on an investment experience.

Oh, yeah, you're good. Sorry, wasn't sure where you were coming from, so I just defaulted to super safe mode.

There's a bunch of stats/data here:
https://www.lendingclub.com/info/statistics-performance.action
check out all the links below the "Lending Club Statistics" header.

I use
https://www.nsrplatform.com
Which I think you can get totally free for the amount you're planning on putting in. They let you do some pretty quick, intuitive analysis. It helps if you google stuff like "simple lending club strategies" and then plug them in there.
I never tried any competing platforms, and I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the pay version of NSR (which I use), but there's really no drawbacks or costs for an account your size. There are competing ones that I think people have mentioned here but I've never tried, but they are probably also free for your account size.

• Locked thread