Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Thinking about giving this a whirl with a few grand, I've been browsing notes while waiting for my bank account to verify.

I've noticed that most of them (or at least the ones I was browsing at about 11pm PST last night) didn't have any questions answered at all, but were still at 80%+ funded. I saw one or two questions answered, so I'm pretty sure the questions aren't private per request or anything, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I read the whole thread last night, and one of the things that was repeated a few times is that you can get some sort of read on the borrower by seeing how well they write their responses, but it seems like a lot of the notes I was browsing were almost ready to go without answering a single question.

Did I just check at a weird time, or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
How long is the money tied up in those rejected notes, on average?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I sort of like the idea of investing in actual humans that need money, but I'm a pessimist when it comes to thinking people are going to be assholes when it comes to money.

We'll see how it goes.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I'm looking around the site for this but can't figure out exactly where to look: If a borrower pays off the loan early, does LendingClub disperse the proceeds immediately, or sit on it and pay everyone out for the term?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

About half of my notes have been approved, and I'm pretty excited to see if I actually get all my payments next month.

I had a good time reviewing notes, and I really like the idea of actually lending money to a person who needs it directly.

I'm aware that anyone can write anything in the request, but when I see a borrower who claims to want to fix up his fence, I get a warm fuzzy inside.

Then I remember I'm investing, and people can lie. Pay me my money, fence-guy.

Shadowgate posted:

You get paid out right away.

How often has this happened to the people in this thread? Do loans get paid off early regularly, or are most of the ones you guys/girls have had go the full duration?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

NPR Planet Money on Peer-to-Peer Lending, LendingClub, and a world without banks.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/05/30/317030992/episode-543-a-world-without-banks

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

April posted:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It seemed like for a month or 2 there, I was getting almost all B1-B3 rated notes, but the last couple of auto-buys I've done via IR have included some C2-C3 rated ones. They aren't super high-interest, but definitely more than what I've been getting.

I only check my account on the 1st and 15th, but I've noticed a lot more Cs for the past month and a half.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Debating it, but figuring I'd be one of the stooges holding the bag while other people got rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Congrats to anyone who took a quick profit, and best of luck to anybody holding. I was too lazy to open another brokerage account.

• Locked thread