Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

cheese eats mouse posted:

Mine was funded fairly quickly by 1 person, but I mentioned I was already pre-approved by another loan company, but wanted to beat that rate. My rate with OneMain was 30% while LC was 16% so i quickly severed ties with OneMain after I was fully funded. I would highly recommend it for really small short term loans. Mine was 1,000 and I budgeted paying for 10 months. The only downside is if you want to make more than the monthly payment you have to e-mail support every month. You can make it permanent, but you sacrifice any hardship claims and limit your options and the monthly amount cannot be adjusted.
I borrowed from Prosper years ago, and I didn't have any trouble paying more than the minimum without contacting support and without permanently raising my payment. I paid the 3 year loan off in less than a year.

My experience way back then was that it was ridiculously easy to borrow the $6,000 I wanted. I didn't do a good job of reassuring lenders that it would be paid back or justifying my reasons for borrowing, I didn't post detailed income/expenses and it was still funded easily. I imagine that after the crash it's different now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dantu posted:

I've been toying with the idea of applying for a loan to consolidate my credit card debt. My CC debt is bad, but not horrendous, around 11k. Even if the rate ends up being comparable, isn't an installment loan better for your credit rating than revolving debt? I didn't see anything about this in the OP, sorry if it's been asked, but is there any early repayment penalty?
When I took a loan out from Prosper years ago, there was no pre-payment penalty. I paid it off way early. These sites have changed a lot since so always good to check, but I doubt there's been a change to this.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Even as far back as 2006 or so before the crash when I was looking at Prosper's community, there was a lot of unhappiness about the number of defaults and especially the collection efforts on defaults. Almost 0 defaults ever had any amount collected; it even seemed that there was little to no effort to collect by the 3rd party agencies chosen to do so.

It's probably very much in their best interest be careful about approving notes.

• Locked thread