Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Definitely going to not do too much heavy investing with this. I'll probably start with $250 into 3 year notes. I'm pretty conservative with my vetting as well. If they're revolving credit or debt to income ratio is too high I don't bite. Also, I use a rule that if I can't afford the monthly payment then they can't either.

I did see someone who worked at Wal-mart asking for a 30K loan. Yea right..
Just because they work for Wal-Mart doesn't mean they work in a retail store. I wouldn't bet on that unless they live in northwest Arkansas (Wal-Mart HQ), though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the days of getting ~5% returns without any work are pretty much over. For comparison,Bankrate is telling me that 3 year CD rates are about 1.3%.
Well you can always just throw money in a stock market index fund. That takes almost no work. There's no way of knowing what return you'll get, but 5% isn't out of the question.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

April posted:

I've been pondering the idea of "flipping" notes recently. If I could purchase decent B & C rated notes, then sell them immediately for a 3-4% markup (before any payments are made), and keep repeating, the compounding would be insane. The question is if people would buy them. I haven't messed with foliofn much, what do you guys think?
You should do it if you can find buyers, but it wouldn't be a good deal for them. They're taking on the same risk for substantially less reward. But like I said, you should definitely do it if you can find people to buy. You're dumping 100% of the risk on them and still earning 3-4%. That's a good deal for you.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

April posted:

Well, they would still be "good" notes, in the sense that I'd filter them as carefully as I always do. And if they don't sell, I would just collect the payments.

It's just something I've been kicking around, I mean, if I can make 2% every couple of weeks, it's a pretty good investment. But I also like seeing all the payments come in. I'll probably wait & see if foliofn gets more developed.
Yeah even 1% in 1-2 weeks with zero risk to your investment is a good deal, but it's not going to be worth your time unless the volume of sales is high. Can you sell $10,000 worth of notes a week? How much time will it take for you to set everything up? If it only takes an hour, maybe it's worth your time--you'd earn $100/hr. If it takes more than 2-3 hours, it's probably not worth it.

The only way to know if this is a viable plan is to try it. If you can sell a high enough volume at a high enough interest rate with a short enough investment of time on your behalf, it could be worthwhile.

• Locked thread