Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Knightmare posted:

Is anyone else planning on partaking in the IPO?

IPOs especially for startup companies tend to be fools gold.

Also it's important to note for Lending Club another weakness is despite the large returns you make less than boring traditional forms
of investments such as stocks since it's taxed as ordinary income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lending tree is basically a fun money type investment which not should be used for more than 5% of your total account.

It's also very tax inefficient for investor type accounts vs. more traditional investments.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

Yeah I was able to come up with a decent cross-section analysis but found out I can't even trade in Maryland so it was mostly a waste of time.

I've got a few variables that are worth about 5% in default rate worth avoiding out of the sample though; never got to include more recent loans so may or may not accurate.

Yeah due to regulatory hurdles man states don't allow you to even open a investment account and other other have extra hoops to hop through.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amun posted:

I'm personally starting to lose faith in LC. It's been 16 days since I've been able to buy a note that matches my criteria -- I've only been at it for a year or so, but I don't think it's ever been this bad. Money's just piling up in my account not doing anything :(

Another problem at least for regular investors is institutional investors now have a big investment in the concept:
http://blog.lendingclub.com/a-note-on-our-recent-loan-volume/

Basically it's tough to compete for good notes when you go against institutional investors who have millions in case to scoop up the better notes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/business/dealbook/as-lending-club-stumbles-its-entire-industry-faces-skepticism.html

This whole industry and lending club in particular are in the news a lot recently for bad reasons, just wondering what the thoughts are of people who actually use these services in this thread. Are they actually altering loans to make them seem better to lenders? Can you see that happening?

People rush to invest in a new hot niche investment concept and end up getting burned how shocking.

Well I'm glad to see how Lending Club has learned fast and can copy Wall Street's model of fraud such as how the CEO altered millions of dollars in loans.

• Locked thread