Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I go in and enter the details of each defaulted loan as a capital loss. Kind of a pain but only takes me 30-40 minutes.

That's how I did it too. Tedious, but not complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

Has anyone else seen a huge jump in invested notes through the LC automated investing? After rarely logging in for months, just checking my account balance every few weeks, I opened up the automated investing page and looked at my allocations trying to decide if I needed to change them because my cash had been building up with very few new notes purchased. Maybe 1-2 per week. I decided not to do anything and wait it out longer.

Now, 1-2 weeks later I have 19 notes pending fulfillment. I remember this happening last year sometime too. My cash was building up, I said WTH and looked into it but didn't change anything, a few weeks later all my cash was quickly invested by the automated investment mechanism. Weird.

I switched from IR to Bluevestment (IR will be shutting down in the next few months), and I noticed the same thing, but chalked it up to a different system. Interesting.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm thinking about starting to invest on Prosper (since I'm in Oregon) and I'm curious what your guys' long term goals are with this. Is there a point where you stop reinvesting 100% of your revenue back into notes and start cashing out to reinvest elsewhere? I don't imagine I'll be doing more than a few hundred dollars per month, but I'm curious where you guys think there might be a point of diminishing returns in regard to risk/reward. I mean, April, if you get to the point where you're being paid out $25k per month will you still reinvest 100% of that back into notes?

Also, when you guys talk about how much money you've invested in notes are you talking strictly about how much you've transferred from your bank account? Or does that include money you've reinvested from the amount LC pays you each month? Is it even useful to make this distinction?

I've slowed down a bit on new deposits, as I've had some new circumstances come up (oldest kid going to college, had to replace a vehicle). That said, for now, I'm 100% reinvesting. My plan is to get enough notes to give $X in interest income every month, then reinvest only enough to maintain that number of notes. As Devian said, however, if it looks like the economy is making GBS threads the bed, I will probably do something like reinvest a percentage, and pull out a percentage, every month.

I consider the money invested what's come out of my bank account, but I actually don't look at that number as much as monthly interest, number of notes, etc.

Also, CaptainCrunch (sorry I didn't answer you earlier), I've been in BlueVestment for a few weeks now, and it seems to be legit. I don't think they filter as deeply as IR, but I think that IR is still in the process of integrating with them, so there may be more options in the future.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Some quick napkin math shows that over the past 3 years, I am earning an average of about 2% of my total notes in bonus notes every month - meaning, since I have about 1800 notes right now, if I leave it alone, I will have about 1836 notes in a month.

Extending that over a long time (say 20 years) yields some... very interesting results.

I am sure I'm missing something, or by the time I hit retirement age, I'll have something like 63,000 notes. What am I missing?

I should add, I calculated this by taking my total of open notes, subtracting the total from the previous month to get total new notes, and then subtracting the ones I've paid for, to get bonus notes, then dividing bonus notes by total notes. It varies quite a bit month to month, but the average is right around 2%.

Can someone better at math than me help out? Can someone else who's been in for a while confirm/deny the bonus note rate?

April
Jul 3, 2006

withoutclass posted:

Does interest radar auto invest actually work? I set up Aprils filter recently, and on the analysis page it will show some notes found, but auto investment never happens. I have both my filter and main auto investing set to 'Online'. What am I missing?

IR has been in the process of shutting down and merging with BlueVestment. I made the switch a couple of months ago, so I am not sure if IR is still working, or what settings you might need to change. Check your API number maybe?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

I'm getting a similar number of new notes per month but this doesn't mean it's 2% in gains every month. I think counting total notes doesn't take into consideration the amount owed on each note so as they age, they'll provide less interest per month and therefore are less valuable...?

I think it's more informative to look at the monthly account value, subtract last months value, subtract any deposits you made, then divide by last month's value. I get roughly 0.8% higher total account value per month which is about 9.5% annual return. This jives with what LC says my adjusted return is. Still a nice return and projected out to retirement age it's great if the returns hold up over time. But I feel like it's a higher risk asset class and also there are tax implications to consider (should have done it all in an IRA from the get-go).

On the first paragraph, I agree, BUT if I'm reinvesting every bit, I'm continuously getting brand-new notes as well, so although the interest in old notes is less, the new ones should offset that.

Starting in December of 2011, here is the interest per open note I've received each month (total open notes/interest received):

$0.1130
$0.2630
$0.1036
$0.0933
$0.1970
$0.2674
$0.1700
$0.1575
$0.1836
$0.1478
$0.1332
$0.1176
$0.1558
$0.2238
$0.2306
$0.2592
$0.2553
$0.2685
$0.2532
$0.2469
$0.2473
$0.2365
$0.2419
$0.2162
$0.2351
$0.2467
$0.2057
$0.2268
$0.2053
$0.2036
$0.2069
$0.2002
$0.1899
$0.1819
$0.1958
$0.1599
$0.1812
$0.1719
$0.1538
$0.1750
$0.1674
$0.1540
$0.1541
$0.1670
$0.1432

**Note - this does not take into account notes that are late. It does look like it's trending downward, but it seems like it bounces, and stays right around $0.18 per note on average every month.

So total notes might not be the perfect indicator, but I think it's a simple way to project it moving forward, at least somewhat. I'll have a better idea in the next 6 months or so, but even if the average interest per note drops, the increase in total notes should keep the overall gains going up.

Notes are fun!

April
Jul 3, 2006

I have officially reached 2,000 open notes.

That is all.

April
Jul 3, 2006

withoutclass posted:

Has anyone actually moved away from LC because of this? Or moved over to Prosper? I haven't added any more cash but I'm still making a pretty good return so I am not feeling particularly concerned.

Same here. Last month set a record for my interest paid.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ok - I started in November of 2011. Here are my notes to date:

My Notes at-a-Glance 3621
Not Yet Issued 18
Issued & Current 2,092
In Grace Period 9
Fully Paid 1,231
Late 16 - 30 Days 8
Late 31 - 120 Days 35
Default 1
Charged Off 227

And here are my payments:

Payments $60,852.22
Payments to Date $60,852.22
Principal $50,140.41
Interest $10,709.70
Late Fees $2.10

I have not added any funds in the last couple of months, but it's still growing nicely. For example, in August, I deposited $0, but my total open notes went up by 30. My total deposits, over the 5 years I've been in, were slightly under 30k, and my current account value is around $36,600. A 20% gain over 5 years doesn't look like much, but keep in mind, I put in a few hundred here and there for 5 years, so some of those deposits are much newer. My net annualized return is around 7.94%. Also, most of my charge-offs are older, from when I was not as choosy on picking notes, and going on emotion rather than numbers.

Not sure if all this is what you guys were asking, so let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

April
Jul 3, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

How much "work" do you put into it though?

You might want to calculate the value of that time as a cost, since it scales linearly in a way that a mutual fund doesn't -- if you wanted to double the amount you were investing in this, you'd need to do twice as much picky-choosey-work.

I now use bluevestment to automate my note-buying. I spent an hour or so setting up filters when I signed on with them, maybe a year ago, and now I spend about a half hour or so once a month updating my database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Nifty posted:

Mind sharing your bluevestment filters?

Here's a screenshot:

• Locked thread