Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muuphish
Nov 1, 2006
I'm more top-down as a designer and player. I love games with good themes and mechanics that seem representative. I think the BSG or Game of Thrones board games are great examples--they have a really strong theme that has obviously influenced the mechanics, but that doesn't mean the mechanics are weak by any means. I love Dominion and Carcassonne, but my most memorable gaming memories are usually games with stronger themes.

Whenever I have ideas for games, its more of a "oh this would be a neat theme" and then I look for mechanics that would best support the theme. This has led to, in the past, very complicated mechanics as I attempt to force mechanics onto a theme, so it seems like a balancing act to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muuphish
Nov 1, 2006
Playtest report for 12 Angry Dice. A bit later than I would have liked but you play when you can play.

I played a couple games tonight and it was pretty fun! My buddy and I both plan on playing it again. We did make a couple modifications after we played it, which we think improved a couple basic things:

1) Instead of a linear progression for points we did a bit more exponential, so that instead of 1, 2, and 3, the progression was 1, 4, and 6. This helped make the divide between the points at the end a bit larger while making the game feel more dramatic. Inverting my opponent's 6 to a 1 felt a lot more damaging when I was gaining 6 points rather than just 3.

2) The Freeze card seemed...weak. We found that freezing a card for a turn didn't effect the other's strategy, so we tried changing it to a round, using pennies to mark the frozen dice. It ended up being pretty effective. Locking in a red die in the last round was crucial to my eventual win, blocking my opponent's red major shake-up.

I liked this game and I can't wait until you add some flavor to the cards to make them feel more like a courtroom game.