Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So finally had a breakthrough with my game idea and finalized a bit on how it will play out. Not ready to give out what exactly its about just yet, however, trying to figure out what good "odds" are for players to win.

What I mean is for the win conditions, players need to collect 7 of a certain card. Not all of the same card is available at the same location, there are three locations on the board where they can collect said cards, in those location decks. There might be 2-3 versions of those cards in each deck, but not 1 of each version. In these same decks, there will be other card that aren't these collecting cards.

Trying to figure out in a game that can play 2-4 players, what would be fair odds of having players to pull said cards out of these location decks. X factor I don't know how many cards per deck, but for this instance, say 60.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

xopods posted:

@hito: Sounds good. Only thing I'd say is that a die roll is kind of a cop-out when you want to add uncertainty to something... maybe certain Opportunities give you Timeflow tokens. When you travel back in time, you can pay two Timeflow tokens to guarantee that you end up in the right time. If you don't, then other players have the opportunity to play one token to cause you to end up one era earlier or later.

(That mechanic of "pay one to gently caress with your opponent or two to preemptively prevent others from loving with you" is lifted from 1960: Making of the President)

@Mt.Trifecta: Multiple locations with decks of 60 cards per location is way too many cards. Beginning game designers (myself included when I was starting out) often try to solve problems by throwing more components in - more cards, more different types of cards, extra tokens and tracks and tiles and and and...

Try to find a way to less with more. To tweak your mechanic so either there's just a single deck, or that there are only a small pile of cards for each location, rather than a whole deck.

Thanks for the info. What the players are looking to collect are two fold.

-Gold
-Collectible Items

The same collectible items are also items they can use to attack other players. So they have the option to either keep the item for there win condition or use it to defeat other players.

I plan on combining these decks together into "search" piles at each of the locations. Locations are used to confront other players as well as search for more items. So with the gold and items in the same pile, was trying to make it not super rare to pull one of the items as they may use, but not be common as the only thing they pull all the time.

Each location has only specific set of items so it forces other players to go to different locations.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I recently found The GameCrafter online as a place to do a quick one off for your board game once you get out of the notecard stage. Anyone use them before? Prices are very reasonable to for one offs. I wonder if it would make due enough to put that example if you ran a Kickstarter.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Xpods has said it before, but the margins are way too low if you want to do a KS with it. I used it myself for a one-off project a while back and it's pretty danged excessive really. I had 50 cards, 4 mats and a box and it cost me $30.

I was thinking more of using that version to display on Kickstarter, then going overseas to do that actual official publishing of it. So I guess what I am trying to say, is the quality nice enough to get the concept across on Kickstarter?