Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

signalnoise posted:

What are the major pitfalls of creating a game from scratch? I have had this idea kicking around in my head for about 2 years now of a squad tactics strategy game that uses a cards for activation of special abilities, special effects on the board, and placement of new terrain on a grid map. I am 100% married to the idea of effect cards + miniatures. I am just unsure what I should do to bring it about other than make, playtest, repeat. My plan is to buy some blank playing cards to write on, and get a laminated map printed for a grid map, and go from there trying to get my friends to play and help develop it. I know it'll take a long time of course, but it seems like a fun thing to do. I just don't want to get started on the wrong foot out of the gate.

A cheap and easy method for making cards for testing that was mentioned earlier in the thread is to sleeve some cheap Magic or regular playing cards, then slip your printed out/ hand written custom card in front of it. You can use regular paper and go nuts changing stuff as often as needed. Much cheaper than blank playing cards I'd imagine.

Loving this thread by the way! A friend and I had pitched a game to Travis at Indie Boards & Cards and he was super cool and responsive. Nothing came of it, but the process was really fun and inspiring. I've got a creative design I'm working on that I will post here soon once I get past some initial hurdles I'm struggling with. I'm lost on a lot if the deep game theory stuff that's been posted about so far, but its still interesting to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

signalnoise posted:

2- Hit points. I don't think I want hit points, because I want the end result of you running out of options to be that a guy is dead. I want it to mean something for you to have no way out, and I want the attacker to have the satisfaction of knowing he did that. Should I have hit points?

The Gears of War board game (Rules) has a cool take on hit points, by making your hand of Order Cards double as your health. So you'll start with a hand size of 6, and as you take damage, you'll have to discard a card for each hit you take. The order cards are how you move and attack, so thematically, the more hurt you are, the less you can do. I find it really novel and worth exploring as an interesting twist on HP.