Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If you're that worried about it, create a scout unit that can peak at enemy units from a certain distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I’ve been playing with the scout idea so far and it has produced some great map situations although I’m worried about having too many stats to keep track of. The card back thing is really neat! I like the idea hat you know for example your opponent is bringing archers but could also bring javelin throwers that are made at the same building but get an advantage against archers. Great ideas to play around with

How many stats are there? I imagine you can keep a cheat sheet of "Power - Toughness - Range" on a card each player keeps for all units as well as on each individual unit token so that when you flip them over the shorthand is there. Unless you have a dozen+ units you shouldn't have to keep track of too much. Unless individual units get individual customized upgrades after they flip back over (unless you kept a card for each unit on the table on the side of the board that was the "character sheet" for that unit). So you'd have 3 face down tiles on the board, 3 face down cards on the side. You attack with one, revealing it is an archer, flipping over the corresponding archer card and applying any XP or other tokens to the card before flipping the unit back down so that the enemies can lose track of it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

You'd need time limits, field goals, and some degree of interactivity with defensive players. Draft a team with a larger card pool with a mix of offensive and defensive players, each player plays a card for any given "play" and the yardage is offensive card minus defensive card. There's a football card game hiding in there, but just doing kick > roll > decision over and over with no interaction isn't particularly interesting or thematic. Need to give players choices and keep it revolving around the mind games of calling the right "play".

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

The rule book https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jd6RaDiYiaHyLkr96BLwXOFIlihZSe7jPD6KQMvgCPk/edit?usp=sharing

I have 80 or so cards made up that look like old school ball cards. They are dealt out at random, eighteen per player. They form the starters and backup players.

They go onto these:

I also have a football field where you can keep track of progress and scoreboard sheets. The blind chance cards are cards that are randomly positive or negative for the player.

The TLDR version is this, it's like a football game, but to pass you say how far you're going to go for and if the die (times five) is smaller than the number you don't make it. You have a limited number of passes in a game 2-8 or so. To run, you subtract yardage from an set amount. There are twelve drives for each team total and the running yardage refreshes at halftime. Kicking is just the die times ten and you have to say that you're going for a field goal.

If more than just two people are playing then there are rules for a playoff or league play. I am still working out stadium rental, salaries, etc for league play.

I have been debating what the defense would do and I haven't come up with anything that's satisfactory. In Monopoly when someone is rolling the dice you don't have another player rolling to block them. The other team gets the ball back pretty fast anyways and in that era of football the defense wasn't that big of a deal anyways.

Much improved over your last iteration. Couple of quick notes:
You have a lot of positions and players. Do you really have that many interesting things for them to do? Might want to simplify while you test to QB/RB/DL/OL. Would make individual cards matter more and give you a better sense of what works without offering too many decisions - especially if those decisions don't matter seeing as you just pick throw/run.
If you're going to add interaction, which you should, isolate it to OL and DL cards. Maybe they just give you a timer of sorts -- OL tries for 3, DL tries for 4, the DL will break through on 4 and sack if the QB hasn't thrown - how far you attempt for is how long you hold while the WR gets there. Likewise the OL tries for 3, DL tries for 1, OL holds and the QB is free to throw whenever. They could have set stamina and essentially turn into a mini game of "win with the least spent resources".
Having x5 and x10 on dice rolls is going to get real annoying real fast, just make the numbers what they are. If you need bigger numbers, roll 2d6 instead of 1d6. Scale accordingly.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm not sure about making the game more complex. There's a whole bit with different stadiums that will probably be standardized.

As far as the dice, I may look to see if I can find some with the numbers already on them. "Roll the blue die to pass, roll the red die to kick." Or such.

I'm talking about simplifying the game to its core idea to see if it works before adding much of anything else, only adding complexity in the form of interaction so you don't just take turns watching eachother roll dice.

That, uhh, is an interesting paste into my quote. Good clipboard work.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

When I force my friends to playtest this I might have a 2nd version that goes all in on the secret sabotage. Hidden dice allocation (somehow?), secret sabotage goals. But still you only collectively win if remaining pods are safe. Probably Saturday

You're halfway to just having a stripped down Battlestar Galactica at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Splicer posted:

Multi stage bosses keep the amount of damage to be tracked at one time pretty low and also lets you do some fun tricks.

This is your answer. Keeps the fights from getting stale and tracking only one phase at a time makes it managable. You then also get to make bonus actions or whatever on "phase shifts" and generally open up your design into a familiar space from a bunch of other games you'll have played that you can draw inspiration from. Calculate how much damage an average turn is and make each phase have a little more than 2 turns worth of health so that your players can feel like they squeezed out an attack.