Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
This is a cool thread.

I wanted to try designing my own games, is there a good place to get erasable pieces? I wanted some hexes, white circle type tokens, square type tokens, maybe some mans pawns or something, maybe a spinner, I have magic cards and sleeves so I can make my own cards.

I saw some of this stuff on amazon but I was wondering if there is some go to to get a decent set of dry erase everything, or if there is an established better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Is tabletop simulator a pretty good way to prototype games (especially card games) I'm working on something.

Also wanted to offer up makeplayingcards.com as a resource, you can print very high-quality cards with custom backs and fronts very cheap, I use it to print proxies to play with for Magic the gathering, and it comes out to like .25 a card.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Whybird posted:

There's a mechanic that I recently ended up developing by accident that I haven't seen anywhere else and I'd like to share.

Background: I was playtesting a set of rules for a wargame with some friends and I wanted to make sure that the mechanics I'd set up properly led to units working in a paper, scissors, stone pattern: skirmishers should beat archers, who beat pikemen, who beat great weapons, who beat sword-and-shield, who beat skirmishers.

It struck me that for the playtest, it'd be better to make the game more deterministic, so a string of bad rolls didn't make it look like a unit was worse than it actually was. So instead of using a d6 for each roll, each player had a hand of four cards numbered 1-4. When a player would have rolled, they and their opponent both selected a card from their hand and revealed it; the total value was their card minus their opponent's plus 3. Then both players discarded the card they'd played; when a player had completely discarded their hand, they picked their discard pile back up.

The rest of the game mechanics were pretty unremarkable but the system of using hands of cards rather than an RNG worked really well: it meant that players could plan their successes and failures ahead of time, they couldn't be screwed over by a string of bad rolls, and added a whole new dimension of bluffing and double-bluffing your opponent.

I refuse to believe I'm the first person to think of this as a way of making wargames less reliant on luck. Are there other games which have used a similar mechanic, or have I come up with something new?

The game of thrones game did something similar

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

I want to talk for a moment about BAD design. So bad you want to change the rules design.

After watching the BBC series Around The World in Eighty Days I saw that a newspaper reports had been inspired by the book and completed the same feat in 72 days. After that she co authored a board game. After finding and doing come clean up on a decent copy of the board my family played a round. It was horrible. four out of the first six days sent you back to the beginning. Several spots along the way would send you back to the beginning. The start of the game ended up being this inescapable hellhole that we eventually changed the rules to ignore all the "Go back" spaces. I'm sure Nellie and he co-horts thought they were being clever, oh-so-clever, but it was a tremendous drag. The board itself was beautiful. I'm considering re-writing the spaces to make it more fun.

Here's the original board.

I never really did like shoots and ladders.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I designed a pure card game, what’s the best program to set up templates I can print on a home printer with icons and such to test and put in card game sleeves?