Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

For my part I'm just glad neither is a racial slur.

Go to a real game store and look at all the games named after European cities where you move painted blocks of wood; for every one of those, you have a full-color game with goddamn zombies, Cthulu, or both.

Hey, what do the Germans call the two kinds? (this isn't the setup for a joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

xopods posted:

Oh, regarding objectives... it seems like a hard game to give a real scoring system; that would require adding some kind of team guessing element or something, and I don't quite see how it could work.

However, it occurs to me that you could target a different market entirely. With my role + scenario cards idea, + your element of other players tossing the guy word cards, it seems it would be an amazing tool for aspiring improv groups to practice with. Of course, I have no idea what company would publish such a thing, but if you presented it that way and found the right person to pitch it to, then I think you'd get a lot more interest than presenting it as a regular party game.

EDIT: OH! OH! How about this: instead of throwing word cards at the guy, everyone has like three or four face up in front of themselves, for everyone including the storyteller to see. His objective is to use as many of the words (in a plausible way) as he can in three minutes, whereas everyone else's objective is to get him to use their words rather than anyone else's. To that end, the spectators are allowed to ask questions (essentially helping him out by setting up ways to use their words).

For instance, I'm telling a story about a first date, in the voice of a mad scientist, and you've got "motor oil" in front of you.

Me: So the waiter - a fool, I will destroy him! - seats us, and...
You: Wait... this date of yours. To be clear, was she a real person, or...
Me [studying your cards]: Well... well I thought so. Until that impetuous fool of a waiter returned to take our drink orders - the nerve! - and you know what she asks for? MOTOR OIL!

You then ding a bell (or whatever) and flip your card over to show it's been scored.

No lie, I would absolutely play this. I would also want the excuse to do it as a pirate, cowboy, or vampire, but would play it as-is.

Edit: The other players might need restrictions, though, in the questions they asked, to challenge them too. Is Taboo the game with that? Anyway, something like that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DirkGently posted:

Also, on an unrelated note, since discussion of the Firefly board game has been tossed about in the main Board Game thread (concerning how it seems to miss the point of the show) it got me to thinking -- how would you make a GOOD game based on Firefly?

Crackbone posted:

I dunno, how you translate flippant dialog into a board game?

Players each control a crew member from the show and try to accomplish their own story goals while cooperating against the forces that opposed them in the show. Cards with flippant dialog, ideally all written by Joss Whedon, are the primary actions in the game (though obviously some are flippant dialog + "you pull a gun and get the drop on him"); they are marked to show the circumstances under which they are playable. Some are not character-specific, but some refer to series canon, and some refer to other dialog cards (and so can only be played after them).

I think it would work best as a LOTR-type LCG, with new scenarios and new dialog bits coming out to keep things fresh. New art rather than show screencaps so they can introduce new characters. Each expansion comes with a new Whedon-written comic book introducing the scenario.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TalonDemonKing posted:

As I play more games, I realize I don't really like D20 -- 1 through 20 is a huge variable, and passive target numbers don't really feel like they engage the player being attacked. Additionally, since the number variable is so wide, static bonuses seem to become more important to hitting these target numbers.

I can't think of an example of opposed rolls that I like. I think that if a player being attacked isn't engaged when he's being attacked, the problem is the game, not that the player didn't have to double the amount of time somebody else's turn is taking with an opposing roll.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

This isn't a specific game, but I wanted to mention here that Fantasy Flight Games is hiring, including a position for a game designer. Not something you see every day.

You have to be willing to relocate to Minnesota, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I’ve been wondering if it’s possible to do some kind of board game featuring natural selection. Not necessarily about evolution, but FEATURING natural selection. Like players would build systems, and then whittle and hone them to be better as the gameplay goes on. Either they get whittled down through the player choosing to do so, or it happening through some kind of mechanics in the game itself which weed out the least efficient systems, leaving the most efficient ones via actual natural selection.

Maybe even go whole hog with the theme and try to figure out ways for systems to work together to create larger systems, which possible then work together to create even larger ones. So like maybe you have some engines which produce X resource which is then used to fuel other engines to make Y resource, which maybe works with other player’s larger engines to produce Z resource.

This all sounds probably too complicated to actually work, and I have no idea what actual mechanics would create this sort of thing, but I think there might be something cool buried in here.

You should look at the natural history games of Phil Eklund.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Random, possibly cool board game idea: A presidential election board game, but one that’s for 4+ players, and one that goes through the primaries as well as the actual election. Players would be split into two teams for the two parties, and then the first half of the game would be spent on the primary elections. The two teams more or less ignore each other, as they’d be competing against their own team members to win the primary election. But then once that’s over, it’s the two teams vs each other, and the players who aren’t presidential candidates then need to support their team’s candidate in order to help win. I think it’d be neat to have shifting focuses of competing against teammates, and then competing together as one big group. Also you’d need to play the careful balance of beating your competition during the primaries, but not totally beating them down so that they’ll get crushed in the presidential election (or be unable to support you during the election).

I mean, this is kind of what Pericles does, but for exactly 4. The two Athenian players are competing with the two Spartan players for the team victory, but also competing within the team for actual victory. And the team and individual conflicts happen simultaneously, but have the same tensions you're alluding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Another thing my friends and I found odd was some of the pop max values that Tresham had - as many people can live on the tiny Aegean island of Lemnos (and Imbros and Samothrace) as can live in Naples? More people can live on the island of Euboea than can live in Rome? The part of Sicily where Syracuse (one of the largest Greek polises ever) is a 1? The values of the Egyptian Nile regions seem completely arbitrary. It literally has not rained more than once a year in the Libyan desert (the most arid and inhospitable part of the Sahara) since like 6,000BCE but it has a bunch of 1s and 2s meanwhile the coast of Algeria has a Mediterranean climate and can, and did, support large population centers, and was the granary of Rome for centuries, but is a bunch of 1s and 2s. I could go on but I'm sure you get the point. Other than the northern Mesopotamian plain being a large chunk of 2s and the Nile and Tigris+Euphrates systems being a bunch of 3s, I feel like there is decent number variety? With the idea that pop caps will end up being doubled by tech for flood plains and up the limit by 1 or 2 in Grasslands and Lush Hills, the differences will stand out more as the game goes on (is the hope...).

edit: :cripes: this ended up being a wall of text. Though I guess that is bound to happen in design!

It seems to me that you are looking at some of the maximum populations in a bit of an odd way. You are looking the Romes of the world -- places that eventually housed very large numbers of people -- and deciding that it was the land itself that determined that population, rather than culture, technology, infrastructure, and land. Euboea at its height was dwarfed by Rome at its own height, but Rome at its height had aqueducts, roads, blahblahblah; in 800 BCE, though, Euboea was a big deal, with the Greek alphabet likely being invented there (possibly to write down Homer), while Rome at the time probably still had separate tiny settlements on each of its tiny hills. I mean, consider your point about the coast of Algeria: you say it should have a higher max because it was one of the breadbaskets of the Mediterranean, and was especially important for Rome. And you're right, of course, but then why should Rome the region be considered for a higher maximum population, when it grew as it did on the strength of that grain imported from North Africa?