Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Wow, I just noticed this thread right when I finished prototyping a game. I'd like to ask for some advice. My game is lightly themed around going to a junk yard to get various parts from the cars. The game mechanics are flexible enough to fit with any number of themes, though. Players control individual characters, and it kind of plays like a competitive Elder Sign. The game board is generated by cards that say how many cars make up the yard and how they're placed. Then the cars are placed out face down. So players walk about inspecting the cars and then attempting to remove the parts. Players also have contract cards that show a certain number of parts they need. Once they fulfill that contract they get victory points.

The main point of contention for me is how the players actually go about removing the parts from the cars. Currently, it's like Elder Sign. The player announces which part they're trying to get and then rolls dice to match up to what's required. It's not as strict as Elder Sign, though. There are a lot less things the dice can actually roll. But I'm not a huge fan of the mechanic, it just seemed like the easiest way to go about it.

There are probably a ton of other things I should change about the game, but I'd like to play test it some in its current state before going too crazy. But this is the one thing I'm still having a hard time deciding on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Thanks for the tips xopods. I've changed it around now where players have 5 actions per turn. Moving is 1 action, checking a car is 1 action, removing or sabotaging a part is 2 actions, stealing from a player is 3 actions. Stealing is only successful on a 6 sided die roll of 5 or 6. Players can also trade parts or tools if they both occupy the same spot for 1 action per trade.

At the entrance to the yard a player can purchase a set of tools for 1 action, cash in any parts in their inventory for 1 action, or discard and draw a new contract for 1 action. Having tools reduces the cost of removing and sabotaging a part to 1 action. Parts and tools now take up inventory slots, of which a player has 4.

So players have to weigh the benefits of having tools. They'll have less room in their inventory for parts, but can take parts much faster than a player without tools. Sabotaging parts also adds an interesting aspect since the players are unaware of which parts their opponent is trying to get. Some players might opt to pick up every part they can get, whether or not they need it and become a sort of trade broker.

I'm kind of worried that it might get kind of annoying to have to go back to the entrance to cash in points. Maybe I should allow players to go back to the entrance from anywhere on the board for 2 actions. They would still have an action to cash in any parts and also a chance to get back into the yard.