Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Hi thread, I'm working on a little lego game mostly just for me and my friends but who knows who else might want to play it. It's not really a "lego game", I just use a lot of lego as tokens and the game board as it's a bunch of handy pre-made pieces and boards.

At the core of the game it's an economic strategy game about collecting raw materials and converting them into more complex and refined items. 15 years ago when we last played this game the economy was quite simple. Maps were just lego baseplates with randomly generated resource deposits scatteredThere were only 2 raw materials, Ore and Rare. Plop a mine on top of an ore or rare deposit and you get one of those resources each turn. Build a factory and you can convert either one ore into machinery, or one rare into electronics. You can build a "tritanium mill" that lets you combine ore (red) and Rare (blue) into Tritanium (purple) which counts as 3 ore when used in construction, and is required for more advanced upgrades.

Very simple economy but it worked and supported the rest of the gameplay (spaceships!). The problem in my mind though is that with there only being 2 raw materials, every player was mostly self sufficient and there was almost never any trading. Everyone would in parallel build their own self-sufficient economies. I want to encourage trade, and I want the production chains a little more complex so it's harder or even inefficient to try to be self-sufficient.

I originally wanted food to be a resource, but it ended up never being interesting, you'd just always build 1 food producing thing for every population unit you had and that was that, why not bake abstracted farming into the price of each city and keep it simple. I also thought about energy, but it was the same situation. You can't really stockpile energy very well, so you either have enough or you don't, so just assume every time you build a mine or a factory or whatever that you're also building whatever power generation is needed as well.

So, I want to add a bit more complexity to the game, have one or two more raw resources to have more reason to trade, and allow more complex production chains. There's also the physical limit of lego colours and shapes I have to represent things, and the 6 colours of risk tokens we used as resources (never used green). I just ordered a ton of chinese plastic gems in various colours to use for potential new resources. I'll have gems in Red, Blue, Green, Black, and Silver. I was thinking the gem-form could be like the raw form of these resources which need to be processed into their matching colour, but that's just adding more processing steps, not more variety.

Just looking for some ideas and some people to bounce ideas off of that might have more experience in more economic games. Short of Catan I haven't really played many games that involved resources, and this initial economy system was actually based off an extremely simplified version of the Emperor of the Fading suns economy.

Not a boardgame, but M.U.L.E. is my recommended go-to for this kind of cooperative-competitive economy game.

What you really need is specialization of labor/economies of scale. 4 ore mines and 4 rare mines split evenly between two players should be less productive than a player with 4 ore mines and a player with 4 rare mines. You need to reward players for deviating from self-sufficient builds or else they'll always stick with self-sufficiency.

Alternately, you can enforce specialization through unequal resource access; if different resources are available on different parts of the map and there's a limit to players' geographic reach, they're no longer going to be able to get everything they need. Or have resources (including spots for factories) vary by quality, so the number of really good deposits of each type is smaller than the number of players and they have to either cooperate or suck it up and limp along with lower resource production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Being a racing game, you 100% need to make your rubberbanding mechanism a drafting system, both to simplify the movement of cards and more importantly to set up an extremely slick pun on the concept of "drafting"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jmzero posted:

So are there particular rules on communication? Otherwise, it seems like the, uh, strategy is something like

1. All the non-rival players announce their cities. It will take very good luck to lie effectively here (assuming cities can only belong to one person)
2. The rival announces their cities.
3. If anyone stomps a "rival" city without everyone agreeing that's the right move (ie. it's the only way to get somewhere) then they're the traitor and we stomp their cities
4. If stomping their cities didn't work (ie. they lied somehow, I'm not sure whether there's extra cities) we continue to stomp cities that nobody claimed until they're dead. If the non-traitors can't win in this scenario, then the game is kind of hopeless for them in general

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding rules here?

This is the sense that I get too. The sheer number of moves that the Rival's team get seems to make it very difficult for the traitor to do anything once it becomes clear who the rival or traitor is. Two thoughts:

1) Three "hitpoints" per city is probably way too many. There's very little risk for the Rival letting their cities be found out since it takes the traitor a ridiculous number of turns to destroy them and they're never going to be given the chance. Realistically the traitor is going to have a hard time ever getting more than 2 passes against the Rival's cities, let alone 6. That's setting aside the sheer tedium of how slowly the game will progress. I think cities might need to be one-hit kills to keep the game moving and give the traitor any shot at all, using surplus cities on the board to add some breathing room back into the game. You could maybe try 2 and see how it goes but I think in that case you would definitely need something else, like...

2) The traitor really badly needs an ace up their sleeve. What if the traitor card also gave them a third, secret base separate from the normal city cards? You could accomplish this with e.g. a deck of traitor cards with different cities, which you draw one card from to add to the other role cards. This gives the traitor insurance against massclaims. The only wrinkle this adds is that you'd need to come up with rules to handle the case where the traitor's secret base shares a city with the Rival.

Just throwing some ideas out, I know they're not perfect but hopefully they may be useful as a starting point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've been toying around with an election boardgame--I know my timing is pretty godawful, but it strikes me as potentially being a fun design regardless. I've started writing some crude draft rules; anyone up to help critique? A lot of the meat of the game is going to be in the individual issue/event cards but I want to know if the basic gameflow is at all understandable and sensible here.

My primary concerns:

-The 2v2 format may raise some eyebrows. Eventually there will be rules for a straight 1v1 variant, of course. That may even evolve into the primary form of the game if 2v2 proves too unwieldy. But for the moment I like the idea.
-Setup may be overly complicated. I want a good mix of being able to see what's coming and plan your strategy out in advance without getting perfect foreknowledge, but this may come at the expense of simplicity.
-Third party rules are probably overly complex for a feature that only shows up on a relatively small number of cards. But third party campaigns tend to attract an outsized amount of attention and interest, so I feel compelled to include potential third party EVs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jmzero posted:

I really like the whole idea, though obviously it's hard to say too much without seeing some cards. I think 2v2 is underserved and will make for some great gameplay possibilities.

I like the little wrinkles (eg. the types of issues, single-state regions, October Surprise - all of it) too; they're super thematic, and I think they'll give you the right amount of design space for your cards without making the game too muddy.

This sounds very much like my kind of game.

My thought is that there will need to be a certain amount of basic cards--e.g. "Gain 1 step on X issue", "Whoever controls X issue gains 1 step on Y and loses 1 step on Z", "Place X number of support tokens", etc. Maybe 25-35% of the deck, although it probably depends on what you define as basic cards. But there should be plenty of room for more interesting cards, and the theme allows for a certain amount of dark humor. Like a 9/11 remembrance card that just won't go away once played, or an overseas atrocity that gets forgotten from the media cycle at the drop of a hat.

The other thing that interests me about the design is that there's nothing that says a card has to be help out the player pursuing its associated issue--so a fair number of cards may actually be double-edged swords, having some harmful effect when played but still letting you get your issues out and in the public spotlight.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

I had an idea for a game recently, and I was wondering if anyone knows of something similar before I start:

The idea would be that instead of a board, gameplay happens from a hardbound book. The book is a grimoire, and each page is its own board that has slight variations on the rules. Players are trying to flip through the pages of the book to get to a page that is most advantageous for their goals (probably earning VP in some way), and a large part of the gameplay is getting the book to the page you desire, or making the best of the page that the book is on.

Sounds a lot like a less lolrandom version of Fluxx, which would be extremely my bag.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

The part I’m worried that might be confusing isn’t that there’s a shared deck of cards everyone buys from, each person would have their own personal deck that they buy from. So let’s say I use Dual Swords, I have a Dual Swords deck that I can buy cards from and nobody else can. You use Hammer, so you have a Hammer deck that only you buy cards from. I guess this loses some of the interesting bits of deckbuilding (aka figuring out what other people are building and accounting for that), but i’m mostly trying to figure out a way to add in customization without bogging things down a ton or losing out on theme.

And that’s true, I was thinking in my head that the choices would instead be about trying to make combos of cards using what’s already in your deck, but maybe it’d too often just be “this is the best choice”

For reference, i’m trying to work this system into a game I’ve been working on. The main problems are:
-I want something with customization
-I want to keep the themes of various weapons fairly strong and constrained
-I don’t currently have any type of resource systems, aside from energy used to play the cards themselves

So that was the solution I’ve come up with. I suppose I could try to work in a new resource system, but I feel at that point it’s just adding in complication to bandaid design problems instead of actually fixing those problems.

What if there was a shared deck that everyone was buying from, but not every weapon can use every card? Give each card a row of symbols or whatnot showing which weapons can use it, with different weapons overlapping parts of their shared deck with other weapons. e.g., you have a staff. Staves have various properties: they're blunt weapons, they're long, they're good for blocking. So you can specialize in different things with your staff fighting style, which are shared with other weapons. You're competing with the mace wielder for "bash guy over head" cards and you're competing with the spear wielder for "poke guy from a distance" cards, but the mace and spear guy aren't really competing with each other--they have other parts of their decks that they're competing with other weapons with.

The main problem with this approach is that it becomes vastly harder to balance the draws/offer from the main deck when you can't guarantee that every card available to a player is relevant to them. There are workarounds, but it complicates things. It does have some ancillary benefits, though, like potentially cutting down on the total number of cards (e.g. you don't need print as many near-identical cards across different decks, because you can use a smaller shared pool of identical cards.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Possibly. I am trying to think of ways to deal with that. One option would be just to make it a bigger game, like have a board or something with armies on it, or have a draft every turn. I dunno. I just want this theme and I want to deal with officers in such a way that you are picking up abilities and stripping abilities from others based on future leverage.

Might be better to have a way to kill the leader without killing his officers first?

You could also make it so most things generally just temporarily take an officer out of commission, to make things a little less snowbally and allow for comebacks. It's been forever since I read Rot3K but it seems like it would fit in with the theme pretty well, I remember plenty of episodes of commanders getting chased off to hide and lick their wounds for a while before rejoining the war later.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hrm. What about a reverse deckbuilder where you set aside cards from your deck to build up a resource base to spend on playing cards/powering them up? Kind of like MtG's "land drop" mechanic, except you just get to take whatever card from your hand and say "this is a forest." As the game progesses your deck gets thinner and more focused, but you also get more ammo to spend. Presumably you'd have a lot of scaleable cards that can be pumped up, so you can do bigger things with the same cards as you dump more and more of your deck into your resource base.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You could do it one better, then. Give each card 3 functions: play-for-effect, resource, and scoring objective. You remove cards from your deck to your resource area. Once in the resource area, they have an objective on them that you play cards towards completing. When you complete an objective, you remove the card from the resource area to your score pile. First person to X objectives wins.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Foolster41 posted:

One idea I had if there is a storyteller is that of some sort of deal they can make with the players, but I'm not sure how that'd work. Generally trades with two players/groups don't work in my experience. They don't want to trade because there's no other competition. The idea is something like a faustian deal, though obv. since it's a game it has to be better situation than the obvious "never make a deal with the devil".

I think the solution here, both thematically and mechanically, would be to give the storyteller explicit incentives for making deals and make the players face consequences painful enough that the offer of a "get out of jail free" card from the storyteller is extremely valuable bordering on mandatory. Make it so both sides need each other.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

Do you folks feel like your game has some fundamental broken pieces if 3-5 players works well, but 2 doesn't work especially great?

Not necessarily? Some games absolutely require a minimum number of players to make sense, and a lot of games are going to be fundamentally different at 2 players vs. 3+.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

+/-might be unintuitive to players unfamiliar with MtG

I don't think this a huge concern--gamers will probably have enough familiarity with MtG to grasp it, and non-gamers are probably going to find a simple greater-than comparison easier to grasp than HP tracking.

It sounds like the main problem you're facing is that the only reason to engage an enemy is to defeat it. Maybe you could give some/all enemy cards passive effects that can be disabled as long as they're being engaged?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

...Yeah that got a little rambly, my ultimate question is that despite a 55% victory chance either way on 2d6, why would one player feel they have more of an advantage with one pair of dice than another pair?

My guess: 55% is still basically coinflip territory, so the results will be fairly evenly distributed to the human eye, but when people can see that the odds are clearly not equal they'll read more into that than they should. If they lose a bunch of fights they had a slight advantage on it feels too weak (because they "know" they have an advantage and are supposed to mostly win) and if they win a bunch of fights they had a slight advantage on it feels too strong (they "know" they had an advantage so how was the opponent supposed to compete?), even though both results are well within the realm of possibility.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Hey guys I'm putting together a simple little game just for me and some friends to play using lego. It's sort of like catan meets civ. Build up cities, harvest resources, and mechanics that reward trade and cooperation. I have a lot of experience and exposure to economic/trading games but not combat games. Risk and Axis and Allies is about my extent.

There's going to be simple combat in the game, I'd like to make it a little more interesting/involved than Risk. Does anyone have any ideas of games to look at for "inspiration" or have any direct suggestions? Right now it's just line up armies and roll dice like in Risk. I'd love something where the players have a bit more meaningful choices to make on abstracted tactics or their army composition, and have most units that "lose" more realistically fall back rather than just vanish off the board. Generally you don't fully destroy an army or division in a single battle.

IMO Scythe has some really cool ideas for combat in an economic-oriented 4X. If you're not familiar, a quick rundown: each player only ever has a small handful of military pieces on the board. Pieces don't actually have intrinsic military strength--building units unlocks new military capabilities, and you can move pieces around to represent area control, but the pieces themselves are just containers for players to spend military resources on in battle.

Each player has a general resource pool of "power" that represents their military reserves, plus they can accumulate combat cards that can be spent for one-time bonuses; when combat happens, each player just decides how many points of power to spend from their pool, modified by whatever combat cards they play (which are all just basic numerical addition.) That's it, your actual military pieces are just there to mark territory control--how many you have in the combat only matters as a cap on the number of combat cards you can play, but cards are relatively expensive so dropping multiple cards is a pretty huge play. They're never destroyed, either, just pushed around: your losses are represented by the power and cards you spent on the battle.

It's a great implementation of the "combat as an extension of economy" idea that most 4X games revolve around, without the fiddly parts of moving around a million little pieces and rolling fistfuls of dice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Random, possibly cool board game idea: A presidential election board game, but one that’s for 4+ players, and one that goes through the primaries as well as the actual election. Players would be split into two teams for the two parties, and then the first half of the game would be spent on the primary elections. The two teams more or less ignore each other, as they’d be competing against their own team members to win the primary election. But then once that’s over, it’s the two teams vs each other, and the players who aren’t presidential candidates then need to support their team’s candidate in order to help win. I think it’d be neat to have shifting focuses of competing against teammates, and then competing together as one big group. Also you’d need to play the careful balance of beating your competition during the primaries, but not totally beating them down so that they’ll get crushed in the presidential election (or be unable to support you during the election).

jmzero posted:

Like, you can say somewhere "you'd rather be president than vice president, and you'd rather be vice president than have your party lose" - but once "individual victory" becomes foggy, people will make their own goals. Like, in Eclipse, you'll get people who team up with someone, work for "the team" to their own detriment, then take the "team-breaker" penalty in order to help their teammate win. Even though their personal VPs are bad at the end, and that's the "official" victory condition, they feel they've won if their "team" wins (even if the "team" is dissolved). Obviously that's a bit extreme - my point is just that the idea of a team will really warp the way a lot of people approach a game. I think it'd be hard to make players "really" fight consistently during primaries - and if just one player decides not to fight hard, it puts a lot of pressure on for everyone to stop fighting and just focus on the team win; and if that becomes the pattern, the beginning part of the game withers pretty hard.

I was working on a game along similar lines before the election destroyed my faith in both the system and the universe in general. I skipped having any explicit element of competition within the team and just tried to keep the focus on trying to coordinate between teammates who have separate, secret, potentially contradictory strategies, more in the vein of bridge than anything else. (Come to think of it, overhauling it into a trick-taking game would be a great way to make a lighter, simpler, faster version.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Even history nerds think memorizing dates is boring, I think this game concept needs some work.

What if you had something like this: every player gets dealt out a card that lists some random historical fact. Without showing their card to anyone else, everyone reads their fact out loud to the group, but the traitor must falsify theirs in some way, and then the group tries to guess which of the facts given is fake. "Is this true or false" is a much easier problem than recalling an exact date, and outside of hardcore history nerds you're going to get a lot more engagement asking details other than dates. The average educated person is going to be a lot more accurate guessing how many wives Henry VIII had than they would be at guessing the year of Henry VIII's birth/death/coronation, for example.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think the first question that needs to be asked is "does it matter if the slasher bother keeping track of an actual position turn by turn"? You could roll with it and just say that whenever the slasher is revealed he gets to place himself within X moves of his last known location, where X is however many moves he's had since going into hiding. Obviously if you were going for a very deduction-heavy game this would be a nonstarter--I'm assuming that unlike Fury of Dracula the players are not trying to hunt down the slasher, so having a defined location is not necessarily important. But if the victims are just trying to avoid the slasher long enough to accomplish other goals it could be a fun twist that would help simplify things while being very thematic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

You could probably even simplify it more with something like “Move to any neighboring tile that contains the resource we have the least of” and leave it at that, even if it means that army is moving to a terrible position or fights a fight it has no chance of winning.

Honestly I think this would be more of a pro than a con. Playing competent AIs off each other isn't very interesting, allowing the AIs to be exploited makes the game a lot more dynamic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I mean, at the end of the day it’s not much of a threat, it’s just “get this many points, and then try to get more.” Maybe look at Archipelago to see how a competitive game implements an everybody loses rule? that works pretty well as an ever present OH GOD WE’RE GUNNA LOSE threat, and it’s more nuanced than just “get so many points before the end of the game.”

It’s also important to consider what having an “everybody loses” threat does to the game and its gameplay, and why you want it. Archipelago does it as a means to encourage distrust and uneven trades between the players - since each player needs to give (hidden) resources to keep the game from losing, it’s super easy to go “ohh nooo, i don’t have any wood, can’t someone give me some to make sure we don’t looooose?” (spoilers this player has shittons of wood but needs it for a secret win condition) etc. Think about the main goal you want for your game, and how having an everybody-loses condition supports that. Or, how does the implementation of your everybody-loses condition support it? If you want players to be sabotaging each other and going at each others’ throats, it’d feel weird to have a system that punishes you for sabotaging others. Maybe instead of “if someone doesn’t have X points, everybody loses” you could make it “if you don’t have at least X points/resource/whatever by turn Y, you lose outright and the game keeps going” or something. You could maybe even put in several cutoff points like this, but that would make the game less about “who can get the most points” but more about “who can stay afloat and earn points fast enough to make the ever-increasing deadlines”

It sounds like the goal is to have the collective goal be more of a "shopping list" type goal while the competitive scoring is just a straight point comparison. So presumably the main conflict would be between players wanting to selfishly run up their own score versus taking less lucrative actions to check off obligations towards the endgame goal. Everybody is trying to get by doing the least amount of actual work so that they can maximize their scoring potential while other people save everyone's collective asses, but the less work you do towards the Ragnarok goals the less incentive other players have to work on them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A main problem I foresee with that is players seeing themselves as too far behind to possibly win, so they stop contributing to the group effort because gently caress it. Unless players kept their scores secret? It's almost like the game you mentioned, in that everyone has a "secret win condition" (being top dog in points), and might need to lie to get what they want.

You definitely need some sort of dynamic element in the scoring or else it just devolves into the pirate game.

Although... hmm. Another way to get around some of the issues here, rather than having awards be hidden, would be to go turnless and have simultaneous hidden actions. So everybody knows what the stakes are, but they don't know what everyone else is committing. You might have a situation where e.g. between the 4 players you need to send 5 heroes to go kill the dragon to get the magic horn you need, but you also have the option of sending as many heroes you want to go mug dwarves for 5 points apiece, and guys it's not fair to ask me to send 2 heroes after the dragon because Steve is the one with the dragon-slayer hero who counts as 2, and I'm not sure I trust that Nick is really sending anyone after the dragon since he's been bitching all game about how behind he is, etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit2: Just using a generic "magic and wizards" theme sounds incredibly dull, honestly. It needs to be something at least a little more interesting than that, I want this to have draw besides just "nah man the rules are actually really good".

Stick with monsters, but with a mad science genetic engineering theme.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

I'd probably be turned off by that theme personally, but my tastes certainly aren't universal. I think fighters in the Street Fighter / fighting game sense could be a cool theme, though I agree faux-europe fantasy with wizards not so much.

Regarding the specific example you game with Starmie, to be honest I don't really see why you wouldn't just make those two different monsters entirely unless you're worried about species clause (which you can definitely design around, or simply not care). Even if you were using the Actual Literal Pokemon License, you're making a board game, not a TCG money sink, and you could almost certainly make a Suicune who functions identically to your Bulky Starmie (it even gets Extrasensory and as far as I can tell your game has not STAB) or whatever.

My assumption is that e.g. both Starmies have an identical back that shows a Starmie, so when your team starts out face-down your opponent can see you have a Starmie but they don't get to see what build you're using until you reveal an action.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Exactly. I'm not inseparable attached to that mechanic, but I do like it.

I like it too, my only comment would be to not tie yourself too much to doing every monster the same way. You can play around with the mechanic by having different monsters do different things with it. You might have some strong but predictable monsters with only 1 build, or some weaker but versatile ones with 3 or even 4. Even within the standard 2-build range you can play around some; I don't think you want to make every variant build as transformative as the Starmie example. You might have a generic sweeper type that has 2 very similar builds with different coverage moves but identical weaknesses. Or a monster that has one strong build and one noticeably weaker build that hits back at its usual counters. There's a risk when you give your players too much of a dynamic range in their options where everything just winds up feeling very random and overwhelming; including some simpler options should help cut down on the learning curve and AP problems, but I think it may actually help players feel like their decisions are more meaningful rather than less.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm sure this question comes up periodically, but: what's the best way to prototype modular hexagon boards? I want something uniform (so they can be randomized face down) that's reasonably quick and easy to put together.

I could do psuedo-hexes by using rectangles laid out in an offset pattern, but the easiest way to do that is sleeved cards, and that makes them too slippery to hold pieces well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
A lot depends on complexity. There are plenty of traditional playing card games that manage with hands up to 13, but they're very simple and easy to organize and compare. In a complex game with a lot of evaluation on each card people can struggle with half that many cards.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

So, I’m working on a card game system that I think has potential, but need some advice on it.

The basic idea of the system is when you play a card, you more or less “equip” it into a “combo” of attacks. Your combo is around 3~5 cards long, and each card represents a different attack in the combo - so going from a sweeping kick into a straight punch into a fireball, etc. Cards are specifically be designed to synergize with each other and effect other cards in the combo. For example, your first card could move your position, then the second in the combo would deal critical damage if you’ve moved in the combo, then the third could heal you if you’ve dealt critical damage, etc. Your combo persists from round to round, and each round you add a card to it until you hit the limit, at which point it becomes more about refining the combo and improving its efficiency. There are also instant, single-use cards, that can provide more powerful temporary effects, or help you re-arrange cards in the combo if needed.

I think this is a solid enough system on its own, but I’d like the game to be cooperative rather than competitive, and I’m trying to think of ways to implement cooperative elements into the core gameplay. I could obviously just have some cards be something like “+2 health to another player” or something, but I’d prefer something more built-in to the core system. The most obvious way to me is to have enemies require players to specialize in mutually exclusive ways, such as one player needing to be tank, one needing to be DPS, another needing to be healer, etc. That’s a tad cliche however and I feel there’s something else I could do alongside that.

On the other hand, I could just drop the cooperative aspirations and just make it a pvp fighting game.

You could have a lot of fun with positioning stuff. Have different abilities care about where you are relative to your teammates and make it an intricate choreography puzzle. You want to have a teammate to your left or right on the 2nd card and need someone on the other side of the enemy on the 4th card, but they need to make sure they are in front of someone for their 3rd card, etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

golden bubble posted:

I was more worried about things like having a class that relies on melee attacks for everything and having the monster that counters melee attacks in the same game. Without some ability to choose your fights, you have to be careful when creating monsters that hard counter (or even soft counter) specific tactics.

As long as your encounters are designed holistically I don't think it would be an insurmountable issue, since you just make sure that monsters which counter X only show up in mixed groups that include monsters vulnerable to X. It only becomes a real issue if you're doing something like drawing 3 random monsters, because then you might draw 3 with overlapping strengths/weaknesses or unbeatable synergies etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

I'm assuming the tweak to make it meet or beat the target because otherwise the green pod is extremely difficult to save, if you do not roll a 1 on the TN roll then it cannot be saved.

As I understand it you get to allocate dice of any color (as long as that pod is still alive), so you can use other colors that have faces with 5+ to try to beat the green TN. I also don't see anything in there saying that you have to allocate your dice equally among the pods under attack, so you can throw 5+ dice at the 16 TN green pod.

The luck management aspect is a start, but when you started describing your inspiration I thought you were actually going to go full Sealab and have it be a hybrid coop-competitive or traitor coop. I think it would get a lot more interesting if players had reasons to be selfish. Make pods worth differing amounts to different players--give them skewed distributions of die colors, or hidden objectives to blow up a specific pod, something.

EDIT: also I think that allocating everything all at once might be the way to go as long as pods have multiple "HP." you get your rising tension from pods taking damage, you don't need to string things out even more. this also heightens player-to-player tension even if there is no explicit competitive/traitor mechanic because there's less room to adjust to misplays/disagreements, especially if you also make allocation simultaneous and hidden.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 26, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

Ah, yeah, I kinda like the idea of different pods being worth more/less for other players. Quinn gets 3 points if the Green Pod survives til the end. Stormy gets 3 points if the Yellow pod survives til the end. Maybe something like that to get players to prioritize certain pods when they're in danger.

I think you're going to have more luck making it a sabotage objective. If your objective is to keep the green pod alive until the end, as soon as the green pod blows you're probably locked out of first place and don't have much reason to care about the game anymore. If your objective is to get the green pod destroyed you've still got a shot until the very end.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gutter Owl posted:

tl;dr I need help finding body horror scenario ideas for my horror game, but specifically ones that can carry meaning (esp queer meaning) beyond eep spooky monster.

Hrm. Not sure how workable this one would be in play and it overlaps some with the existing clone scenarios, but something like:

I Don't Know Who I Am Anymore
You place a second girl somewhere. One of you is real; one is fake. The Community player draws a randomizer card to determine which is which; you do not get to know. Whatever clues the Community gets to your location reveal which girl is which in a way that they can distinguish but you can't (color coded or some such, e.g. "Red Girl is at location X") You control both girls, but if the fake girl escapes or gets sacrificed, the other player wins. You get twice as many resources to work with, but your odds of victory are only 50/50 unless you can win a complex game of chicken to try to provoke the Community into revealing which girl they're actually after.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Your costs are likely going to be dictated by the rate of ramp that you want. Figure out how many turns you want to take to reach various milestones (this is going to have to be an average due to the random nature of your resource collection, limiting how tight the balance can be) and base your costs on that. This will probably take some trial and error iteration to get right; maybe it turns out that such-and-such buildings are too broken if you can get them reliably before turn 6 or what have you and need the cost jacked up, etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I would assume that there is some sort of cost to do jobs / penalty for failing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Actually, this is pretty similar to an idea I've idly thought about before, a road construction game where players both bid for jobs (profit, low bid) and subcontractors to complete them (cost, high bid), with the added dimension that jobs take up physical space on a map and are not completed all at once so there would be some potential for blocking (e.g. someone else is resurfacing 3 blocks of a street, so you might deliberately leave a project on a cross street languishing so that they can't complete that segment.)