Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

I'm working on a semi-cooperative game, and I'm interested in some advice.

The players represent factions on a space colony ship. It’s a generational ship, with the turns representing periods of years. The players need to work together to keep the ship running, while, at the same time, trying to expand their influence and get their policies enacted. The game lasts a finite number of turn. Each turn, each sector generates a certain number of needs depending on population. Each sector has a unique deck, (e.g. bio-harvesting will have lots of cards which make food, while fabbers will make materials, etc.).

The needs have three levels of requirements. Any player can meet a need, with the lower levels of needs being required to be met before the higher levels can be met. Players satisfying a need place a support cube of their color on the need they satisfy, discarding the required resources (if resources are required, for example, reproduction and improvement needs do not require resources) from their hand and drawing back up to hand size. One of the levels (surrounded by an indicator) allows the player who places a cube on that level to take the card (adding it to their deck) at the end of the turn. If a need goes un-fufilled (base level not satisfied) then a black cube (Discontent) is placed on each of the unfilled spaces.

In addition to needs, there is a crisis deck, seeded with cards which correspond to various turn numbers and/or the end of game scoring phase (i.e. early trip = turns 1-3, mid trip = turns 4-8, late trip = turns 9-10 and arrival ). Crisis cards act similar to Need cards, except they have multiple groups of 3 needs, and each group needs to have the base level satisfied for the crisis to be resolved. If a crisis is not resolved, black cubes are placed on each of the unfilled spaces on the card. Some crises have additional effects, read the cards for more details.

At the end of each Game Turn, all cubes on cards are placed in a central bag and all unclaimed needs are returned to their respective decks. Some game elements will call for support checks. To make a support check, draw 3 cubes from the bag. If the majority of cubes are in support of you (either your color or the color of another player who decides to support you on this check) you pass the check [Discontent cubes always count against you] . All cubes used as part of the check are returned to supply. Cubes (and the contents of your deck) will be scored at the end of the game

I'm worried about the number of distinct resources being generated and required. The goal is to allow for different players to "specialize" in different things, while encouraging a little bit of frustration with each other, as players can fulfill higher-order needs and "scoop" points from other folks. On the other hand, you have the twin risks of players not bumping up against each other and/or players being shut out of playing the game by not having matching cards. I'm going to try to keep this under control by making "cycles" of stations that intersect (Power -> Food -> Material -> Power and Food -> Entertainment -> Security-> Food). Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero

I've been testing a TTS prototype for a game I'm building, and it's been going well, so I'd like to commission some slightly better art and graphic design assets for it. My instinct is to hit up Fiver or a related, but I don't have much experience with what's reasonable for price point, as I want to make sure I'm compensating folks fairly. I'd be looking to make better templates for about 15 different types of card (front and back), some icon design for a symbol library of about 20 elements, art for the main gameboard, and potentially art for about 200 card elements. If anyone has a recommendation about a particular person, I'm all ears.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero

I'm soliciting playtesters for A Crystal Ship:

nomadotto posted:

Quick Game Pitch:
A Crystal Ship is a 4-6 player, 2.5 hour game about ideology, politics, and negotiation aboard a generation ship bound for an exoplanet. You are a political faction attempting to make your mark on society, hopefully without dooming the entire ship to death in the icy void. The citizens of the ship, characters who make up your party, and policies you vote on all have an ideology. Your faction, however, has no consistent ideology, only a consistent desire to be the most respected in success or least culpable in failure.
During the game, players will compete for prestige within the ship’s ideologies by taking control of the ship’s districts. Players also must ensure that the ideologies they are backing become dominant by passing favorable policies. All the while, unrest aboard the ship grows, and if the combined strength of the ship’s ideologies proves insufficient when a crisis arrives, the government collapses in a revolution, causing the lowest-scoring player to win.

If that sounds vaguely interesting, shoot me an email or PM. Playtesting is taking place over Tabletop Simulator.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero

Hey design-minded folks. I'm hosting a board game design meetup in Portland, OR, on July 23rd at Guardian Games from 1-5 PM. If you're interested in playtesting your design, shoot me a PM and I'll hit you with a sign-up link. If you're interested in playtesting other folks' designs, just show up!