Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I recently read the book Lautapelien Historia (Engl. "History of Boardgames") by Ari Saastamoinen; the book concentrated really heavily on abstracts, partially justifiably. I was a bit sad the book's topic ended up being so narrow despite the title, but nonetheless have been on a binge of sorts of making little abstract boardgames.

1. PieniTaitoPeli (SmallSkillGame)

This one was borne out of an interest in making a super-tiny but non-RNG game. I thought up a simple movement rule and it seemed to work ok on a 4x4 board. All the components fit inside a traditional playing card box, which is neat:

The rules aren't much to write home about; you try to surround enemy pieces while they do the same, but you have to wait a bit before you can move the same piece again. I'm pretty sure the gameplay is a bit too shallow atm and an optimal strategy would emerge too soon, but I tested it a bit earlier and it seemed to hold up ok; I think I'll "publish" this on Itch.io at some point once I've written a good enough rules PDF, and maybe refined the ruleset a bit.

2. Cylinders of the Wise

This one turned out to work surprisingly well! You try to get your Stone Cylinder to the opponent's end of the board by throwing it & the other units around. As with all of these games, my main interest was to create something that seemed to hold up well enough and then have fun creating the pieces, so seeing that the rules worked out fairly well was cool. This one I was actually confident enough about that I put a rules PDF on Itch.io for free: https://hempuli.itch.io/cylinders-of-the-wise

3. Obsidian Sentinels

I've dabbled with the idea of a boardgame where line of sight matters for some time, and this recent rekindled interest in designing boardgames made me want to try again. I haven't playtested the rules except against myself so far; hopefully they'll work well enough against others. We'll see! Making the components was fun.

I can recommend the website playingcards.io for testing prototype builds online, at least for simpler games! Despite the name, the site also offers functionality for making more than just cardgames, and running in browser and being pretty lightweight are huge plusses compared to how clunky and demanding Tabletop Simulator is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU