Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

xopods posted:

As a possible lighter topic, does anyone have any mechanics they feel are underexplored? (As opposed to, say, worker placement, which seems a little overdone these days... the roll-and-move of the early 21st century?)

Voting! I find the area of decision-making in democracies fascinating, and it's one that board games could explore very well on a small scale. Take a basic multiplayer game of, say, economics, add an element of rules changes by vote, and you have a whole open-ended dynamic of decisions and interactions for the players. And there are plenty of parameters the designer can screw around with, such as secret vs non-secret ballots or veto power, that can massively change the way players make their choices. Sadly, I can't think of any current games that really use voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

The problem with voting in games is that the guy winning, or in the position of the most power is the one who gets screwed. Because the game lasts a finite number of turns there is rarely a good amount of incentive to work with the winner. Thus most times voting, or diplomacy occurs it's to unkingmake someone.

That's a problem that can be circumvented, though. Hidden victory conditions come to mind.

Now I have a conspiracy theory-inspired game in my head.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

modig posted:

Role drafting is a fairly common element now, but I want to see/try something with role giving. I especially enjoy the Citadels version where there is some deduction and guesswork involved. So instead of taking your own role, you give a role to someone else.

I tried to start by coming up with a theme rather than just writing down mechanics, because I really don't have much to go on aside from that one idea. So far I've come up with the idea of a hippie commune where everybody shares work, but all they really want to do is get high. That leads me to having some element of either doing a good job at your role, or doing a crappy job and getting high instead. But thats about as far as I've gotten so far.

A hippie commune doesn't strike me as a very competitive environment, is there a victory condition other than chilling out? Because so far I'm envisioning a meta-boardgame where you draw a few cards, then get high, forget about the game and say everybody wins. And I think we've all played that one a few times.