Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Given that they're different orientations on the cards, I might not do anything to the card icon, but I'll totally fix the token version for the PNP. The real version will have vertically asymmetrical tokens which might make such a thing less necessary. Still, I'm going to look into it.

My ghetto fix for the PnP will be making those tokens triangular, maybe with a word at the bottom (I know you don't want a word for style and/or translation).

One other thing for the PnP, the rulebook shouldn't have your hardcoded page layout. If I wanted to print it as a booklet, for example (very convenient for fitting in a Carcassone expansion box), I can't since the "pages" are pre-combined as other pages. If a person wants to print it 2-up that would be a simple setting for them anyway, unmangling the pdf is harder. If I send the PDF to Staples their system seems to get confused by the first page being different from the rest, that's probably their fault though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

I'm just gonna add words to those 2 tokens. It's just supposed to be identifiable.

I'll fix the PDF tonight after I figure out a possible label sheet layout.

Here's my quick fix which you are most welcome to use, it printed nicely on half a sheet of 3 labels by 8 (around 2.875 inches by 1.375 per label):
It includes "KO" and "UP" on the arrows.

edit: Forgot to include the Ice token. fixed but untested now:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Q4KqglmT3HN21SS0cweW5EcWs/view?usp=sharing

rchandra fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 16, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

I'm currently redoing the PnP in prep for the public release. What issues did you have?

The cards have spaces between them (or just large borders?), so if you're going to sleeve/Magic-back them you need to use a bunch of extra cuts to cut them out. This only gets worse if you're cutting imperfectly, like I did.
The sheets with the Robeasts mixed with cards make cutting a bit harder (especially with a paper guillotine), at a minimum the Robeasts should be together.
The "Print 6 times" file has a near-empty page, that added a couple extra dollars (I had Staples print the files since I don't have a colour printer). It could have been quadruplicated for "Print once" with the extras going onto other pages.
Tokens should be laid out for label sheets, and the rulebook has a strange and inconsistent layout (those two you were already fixing).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Maybe you have to give most of the vault loot to the planners/bosses but extras like robbing the customers/cashiers is all yours.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have a request. Could some kind soul with Terra Mystica measure the player cards for me? e.g height and width?

If you don't get an answer, I think they're just under the inside dimensions of the box, which you might be able to get on BGG.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The skill icons in polygons is a really neat choice. The star/sawblade shapes are less clear.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

And you can implement that infinitely-large stack by putting the resource cards back and reshuffling. Probably the sensible way to do that is have 1-2 of each resource as a cube in a draw bag, you draw one and replace what you drew from the supply/bank.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

Yo, design thread! Meltwater has reached a stability point I'm comfortable with, and I think it's time for some larger guided tests.

I'll try it - any side.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

In Stock sounds like it could have potential. Reminds me of the video game Cook, Serve, Delicious as well. From your blurb I'd wonder if you end up just playing in a very rote manner - filling the emptiest section that is needed,

To add more, you'd probably want to vary the possible player actions so it's less clear what to do, and possibly include some element of blocking - if your guy is restocking the ice cream, I can't restock the frozen vegetables as we would close off the whole aisle to traffic.

Adding a deck of purchased abilities sounds like clutter.

I think you've already said what needs to happen with Genesis for its next revisions! One thing about the 9x9 grid: you can place such that it can't exceed 9x9, without requiring the grid to be in any particular place. Between Two Cities does this, you're making a 4x4 city but when you place the first tile that could end up being anywhere, you don't have to specify "this is the top-right corner" or such - just don't build to 5 wide or tall. If you keep the die roll mechanic, just roll a d81 (easier with a different grid size) and remove the rolled tile, removing nothing if higher than the number of placed tiles so far. A non-square grid can also be useful, then you can roll two dice with different sizes - for example 8 rows x 10 columns, roll d8 d10 - that saves on the counting.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone know of any good programs / websites to stitch a bunch of pictures together to prepare a print n play? Putting all the cards one by one into a buncha pages in Photoshop is a real pain and super time consuming, so if anyone knows something that can speed it up, that'd be great. The main thing is it needs to print cleanly into multiple pages, not have any images cut in half between them or anything.

Don't think you got a reply to this?

I've used nanDECK for this. It takes some learning / fiddling but once I got something that I almost liked, being able to easily alter it wholesale made it so much better than any desktop publishing type thing. Made it very easy for double-siding cards too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Frozen Peach posted:

oh god the person I'm interviewing with is AEG's CEO, John Zinser. I just assumed it'd be with someone in their acquisitions department or something. NOPE.

I don't know about AEG specifically but a lot of these companies are surprisingly small - Rio Grande Games was known for being Jay Tummelson and his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I've played a TTRPG using playing cards for monster HP (and everything else, really). Say you hit for 15: you might reveal a 4, then a Q, then an 8 and replace with a 7 from the discard pile (face cards all 10). Wouldn't really work if you don't have the easy shoe full of discards, though - don't want to have to search a deck and reshuffle for that 7. Added benefit / detriment of not knowing exact HP.

Also writing numbers is a real thing that works but some people are opposed.