Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fix posted:

I know inherently that the dice all even out in the end and so I'm a little hesitant to mess with it because it really seems to work, but compensating for bad rolls is really the biggest gripe people have because surprise surprise, people don't like luck when it's bad.

Why not change the game to 2dx? That won't make crappy roles less painful, but it'll make them less common.

e: How's the feedback on the 12->20 jump?

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I really suggest that you get a new theme. I imagine that most people aren't going to want to play a game called "Panty Raid." I mean, it's pretty obvious you're going for a Revenge of the Nerds vibe, but still. I'd be embarrassed to be seen playing that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

modig posted:

On a slightly more serious note, I have been avoiding Space Alert because I don't like the resolution phase, it just takes too long for my preferences without me doing anything. It seems like if the board were arranged in a fairly rigid way, you could take a picture of it, do some image processing, and have the state of the game. So your phone or iPad or whatever could do the resolution phase for you. If a game were designed with this in mind, I think adding QR codes to all the relevant pieces would make the image processing much easier. I think you would lose something, because its to really understand exactly why a given move was a mistake if you don't take the time to do everything step by step. But it would make it faster. Just thought I'd throw it out there since it seems like it might be a viable path to an augmented board game. Has anybody seen or thought about designing an augmented board game?

One could potentially also start with damage tokens or disabled Battlebots in a campaign. Image processing is not a very good way to deal with this problem.

What? The resolution phase takes less than twenty minutes when you do it manually. It'd be even less with one of those Flash programs. I don't understand how you could possibly have an attention span so short that the minute or so between calling out your next move to the resolver is problematic. If you can't manage to pay attention for 20 minutes during the resolution phase, I don't know how you can have fun with board games in general. If it's just an issue of your group being super slow at resolution, just get better at it. It doesn't take many run-throughs to learn.

To address your suggestion, the variables are:

1. Action cards played
2. Which threats occur
3. When each threat in (2) occurs
4. Threat tracks

You'd need to have everything in such a rigid layout that it'd be a pain in the rear end to actually adhere to it. These things are small - probably too small for recognizable QR codes at the relevant distances. You could also take a ton of pictures, but that makes the option considerably more complex. Image processing is not a very good solution to this problem. The solution already exists: plug your moves, threats, times, and tracks into a program and hit "GO." Even that solution is unnecessary, though, because the actual solution is "Do the resolution phase, it takes like no time and is super fun and you get to yell at your friends when they use your lift and laugh at yourself when you spend four turns using the C button instead of the Battlebots action or whatever."

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 7, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jmzero posted:

But since you're designing the pieces, you can give them a few shapes and a few colors and they'd be pretty easy to distinguish and place.

Oh, I agree there. If you're designing (or redesigning) the game from the ground up, then it's much less of an issue. I was more thinking of it from the perspective of writing a program to automate the resolution of an existing Space Alert board, which wouldn't be helped too much with a bunch of QR stickers (as you said).

In any case, it's not so much that it looks to me that you can't do this as much as it's a solution without a problem. But I guess resolution is a problem for some people, so maybe I'm just not the target market.

quote:

Might be different if it had little custom animations for dying to a space octopus though.

Good point. Very good point.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Do you have any mechanics for it?