Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Cross posting this here, because here is the right place for it.

I asked Ettin about this and he suggested posting this here. If this sounds like a good idea I may make a thread about it.

I have a brother in Law who collects board games and wants to make one. In talking to him I had an idea and I'd like to know if you goons would be interested in checking the basic game mechanic and seeing if it works.

The idea is based on old NFL teams from the 20's. It's stuff I've been doing some research into a lot lately. The game would let you build a team by collecting players. each one would add something to the offense, with a limit of 20 players. When you went against another player you would each have a bank of offensive yards based on what players you had, roughly 150-250 yards or so and you would use them up in a half of a game and then start with a fresh bank of yards in the second half.

This is the game mechanic:

One player starts with 190 yards, the other 225 (just for testing purposes) You have a football field as the game board (I've just been using a printout) you place a marker (toothpick) on the 30 and roll a die. The die x10 is the yardage the ball moves forward. Player two can decide to go for the TD or to kick it back. If he goes for the TD, he removes the yards it takes from his bank.

Example:
Ball starts on the 30. Die comes up with a 3 so the ball goes 30 yards forward, to the other forty. Player two goes for the TD so he subtracts 60 yards from his bank. Then he kicks off from his 30.

If player two decides that's actually a bit far he could either kick it again or move forward how every far he wants before kicking the ball.

This goes back and forth until they exhaust their yards, although I may set it up that they can only kick 5-6 times or so. If the ball is kicked out of the endzone or lands on the goal line it becomes a touch back and goes on the 20.

Test it out if you could and tell me how well it works and feel free to change the yardage bank.

The game (If I do anything with it) is going to have more to it. I wanted the football game itself to be quick and simple. Whether the defense gets stuff to do is something I'm kicking around but I wanted to see if this part works and is fun first.

Do you have any questions?

The game would be called The Tin League.

(in the other thread Straight White shark pointed this one out and then I responded.)

Straight White Shark posted:

There's a dedicated thread for board game design.

My initial impression is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of game there, as described. There doesn't seem to be much room for strategy in the football resolution. There's a very minor edge to kicking if you're at or behind your 30, but the differences in EV are small enough that it's generally not going to make a huge difference unless you're doing something silly like punting when you're close to a TD. Ultimately it's just a dicefest, slanted heavily towards whoever got the better players. I'd suggest either making the football resolution even faster and simpler and making the game be 100% about team building and management, or else add some kind of real tactical payoff to justify spending the time to play out the football phase.

Darth Brooks posted:

Ya, I want to add more. I just wanted a test of the up and down movement on the field. I've a few football games where you just spin a dial and that seems just completely luck and didn't leave any room for team building.

One of the ideas was to have defensive cards. The defensive player would pull a card that was slanted against pass or run and then the offensive player would declare what his play was but it just didn't seem to play out right and made the game more complex. I want to have a short event and then move on to the other parts of the game. One idea I had was that for every TD a player scored they got a card that like a chance card, something good or bad.

There'd have to be something to make playing an individual event worth fun, but not something so time consuming that it was all that one event.

Additional stuff:

Thinking about it, the number of drives per half should definitely be limited to six per player. That should help keep it from being a dice fest and add some strategy to when you use up your bank of yards. I need to find someone and test it out myself. My son is two and my wife hates football so...

I have yet to figure out how to use this, but I'd like some reason to substitute different players. There's 11 on the field at one time, and they're usually good at certain things only. (Offensive linemen aren't good at catching passes. WR's suck at being linemen.) The rosters at the time was limited to 18 players, so that's 7 backups or subs for defense. Why their being subbed in is still a thing I'm thinking about.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The on field part of the game is meant to be something you play 4-5 times in the main game (depending on the number of players) The main goal is to build your team (and survive.) The more you win, the better the payoff on games. I was thinking of a "chance" card (most good, some bad) that you get for scoring a TD. I didn't want to make something that was so complex that you'd get bogged down in a single contest.

Should I post up a list of rules for a game (the on field part?)

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

So if I have a semi finished out idea do I show it to thread?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The rule book https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jd6RaDiYiaHyLkr96BLwXOFIlihZSe7jPD6KQMvgCPk/edit?usp=sharing

I have 80 or so cards made up that look like old school ball cards. They are dealt out at random, eighteen per player. They form the starters and backup players.

They go onto these:

I also have a football field where you can keep track of progress and scoreboard sheets. The blind chance cards are cards that are randomly positive or negative for the player.

The TLDR version is this, it's like a football game, but to pass you say how far you're going to go for and if the die (times five) is smaller than the number you don't make it. You have a limited number of passes in a game 2-8 or so. To run, you subtract yardage from an set amount. There are twelve drives for each team total and the running yardage refreshes at halftime. Kicking is just the die times ten and you have to say that you're going for a field goal.

If more than just two people are playing then there are rules for a playoff or league play. I am still working out stadium rental, salaries, etc for league play.

I have been debating what the defense would do and I haven't come up with anything that's satisfactory. In Monopoly when someone is rolling the dice you don't have another player rolling to block them. The other team gets the ball back pretty fast anyways and in that era of football the defense wasn't that big of a deal anyways.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

Much improved over your last iteration. Couple of quick notes:
You have a lot of positions and players. Do you really have that many interesting things for them to do? Might want to simplify while you test to QB/RB/DL/OL. Would make individual cards matter more and give you a better sense of what works without offering too many decisions - especially if those decisions don't matter seeing as you just pick throw/run.
If you're going to add interaction, which you should, isolate it to OL and DL cards. Maybe they just give you a timer of sorts -- OL tries for 3, DL tries for 4, the DL will break through on 4 and sack if the QB hasn't thrown - how far you attempt for is how long you hold while the WR gets there. Likewise the OL tries for 3, DL tries for 1, OL holds and the QB is free to throw whenever. They could have set stamina and essentially turn into a mini game of "win with the least spent resources" x5 and x10 on dice rolls is going to get real annoying real fast, just make the numbers what they are. If you need bigger numbers, roll 2d6 instead of 1d6. Scale accordingly.

I'm not sure about making the game more complex. There's a whole bit with different stadiums that will probably be standardized.

As far as the dice, I may look to see if I can find some with the numbers already on them. "Roll the blue die to pass, roll the red die to kick." Or such.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 13, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Lol. That was entirely unintentional. The post above is literally my first post from a phone.

I'll think about what you've said. I want to game test it where its at. In the play throughs that I've done already there's not a lot of time between turns.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Have you considered getting rid of dice all together? Depending on what you have in mind for the game, you could replace them with cards that players play against each other, then defense has something to do instead of sitting there watching offense roll dice. Cards could just have the number of yards on them, and defense needs to play a card of lesser value in order to block the pass or kick. So going for a long pass would be risky, unless you know that the other player has already spent all their low cards. Or you could tease out all of the opponent's low cards with short passes and then nail them with a huge kick now that you've set them up to be unable to stop it. It's not a perfect 1-to-1 rendition of football, but does get the same experience of using plays to manipulate your opponents into a worse position.

What I want to do with this is to get a primitive system that can be built on. If there's versions of the game for the 30's, 40's,etc each would build off of this version of the game.

A game based on the teams of the 30's would have one style of offense/defense interaction and one based on the 40 would have a different one, but both would have the primitive core from this game.

REALLY LATE EDIT:

I've done some play-throughs with the board game nerd and we talked about ideas for the game. He first suggested using a game mechanism from a game idea that he was developing having to do with dice and/or cards to determine whether a turn was successful. We talked as well about using a system where the defense would put a card face down that had percentages based on where and what type of play the offense chose. If it was a run to the right side and the defense was canted toward that kind of play, the offense would be stopped. At one point he was staring at the board, wondering how to get all 22 players moving and interacting with each other. It felt like the ideas were getting away from the core game idea which is why it may feel like I'm resistant to change.

Honestly, the sport was pretty primitive at the time too. Most teams were made up of guys who had jobs during the week. Defensive formations (or even planning) was rare. It was mostly "Don't get blocked and go get the guy with the ball." Most plays were runs and no one kept stats until 1932-33.

In what's been build so far the number of yards per half has been kept low (70-110 yards per half) so that the game wasn't a score fest and I may take those number lower now. I worry that if I throw in some mechanic to disrupt offense that scoring will become impossible.

Our play-through was about 20-25 minutes and that was before putting in passing so I think game time is close to about right. Short enough that you could play multiple games but not so short that there's no use in setting the game up. I may put historical rosters in the handbook so that someone can just pick a team and not have to go through the process of picking cards. Looking at the records from 1920 there were definitely two tiers of teams so I can use that somehow.

Do they make dice that are numbered by fives (5, 10, 25, 20, 25, 30) or by tens?

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 14, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Frozen Peach posted:

So I'm at Geekway, and walk into the Play and Win room to find that almost all of my copies of Walking Doggos are checked out. I decide to go on a mission to find a copy being played and to introduce myself to the players and ask how they liked it and what their thoughts were. I'm walking through the main hall and find a copy sitting on a table with a filled out play and win card next to it. Awesome! I hype myself up to not be terrible stupid and awkward.

Then I see who's sitting at the table: Jamey Stegmaier.

Jamey loving Stegmaier played my game. All hope of being cool and not awkward is thrown out the window. Before I can even speak, he sees me there and says "Hey, Mattie! We just played your game! It was really good!"

I about died.

We ended up talking for like 10 minutes about game design and what I playtested in the game and how different scenarios worked out and about some of the decisions I made in the design, but in the end he really liked it!

A few days later, I'm sitting at Geekway HQ taking a break from the rush of everything, and log into BGG to see if anyone rated it, and that's when I found that Jamey himself rated my game a 7!

I tweeted out a screenshot because I was so excited, and he responded to me with this:

https://twitter.com/jameystegmaier/status/1130273512596418562

I have no idea why he thought I'd not want the publicity of being in one of his videos, but "most innovative" of the con is an amazing thing to hear. I'm insanely happy right now.

Congrats.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

That's really cool.

Edit: It makes me wonder If could work out my game idea in Tabletop Simulator. Never knew it existed.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 11, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Oh hay, thread is active again.

I had an idea for a game called Logical Choices. The inspiration for this is watching hypnotized people explain why they are doing something odd that the hypnotist is asking them to do.

Players have x number of cards dealt to them. They need to string them into a sentence and give a logical reason why they would be doing the actions. They win by adding the points on the card and by convincing the other players that there could be a Logical Reason why someone would be doing these things. Here's an incomplete list of options that might show up on a card. The "while you..." card would allow you to string actions together for more points.

Players would have a card (or more) from each column and maybe there'd be some trading back and forth or a pile they pull from in turn. That's the rough idea. It would just be cards (50 or so), no props included. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I want to talk for a moment about BAD design. So bad you want to change the rules design.

After watching the BBC series Around The World in Eighty Days I saw that a newspaper reports had been inspired by the book and completed the same feat in 72 days. After that she co authored a board game. After finding and doing come clean up on a decent copy of the board my family played a round. It was horrible. four out of the first six days sent you back to the beginning. Several spots along the way would send you back to the beginning. The start of the game ended up being this inescapable hellhole that we eventually changed the rules to ignore all the "Go back" spaces. I'm sure Nellie and he co-horts thought they were being clever, oh-so-clever, but it was a tremendous drag. The board itself was beautiful. I'm considering re-writing the spaces to make it more fun.

Here's the original board.