Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: :cripes: this ended up being a wall of text. Though I guess that is bound to happen in design!

I know where you're coming from with regard to striving for verisimilitude but at the end of the day I would advise against sticking to it hell or high water because don't forget, at the end of the day you're trying to make a game that is fun. If you cannot square the circle of creating interesting decisions because you've staked your reputation on ensuring that historical regions line-up with accurate population caps/fertility that in turn leads to overly linear or uninteresting bunching of numbers in a certain spot... just ignore it! Go wild and address the change in designer's notes. No one cares unless it's so off-base that it becomes distracting.

Similarly, I think the focus on hexes takes away from your ability to make regions that fit into your historical focus because you're hamstrung with the self-imposed requirement to make every territory a similar size. You're not making an 18xx game! My main gripe with the weird shapes in the original games is that some areas are disproportionately small compared to others and that makes the game annoying to play not strategically but just technically. My advice is to either "blow up" tiny regions that are giving you grief at the cost of making your map look less accurate per se, or link the tiny spaces into one larger one. As it stands I think no one should try and re-create the disaster that is the region around Crete/Minoa without a drat good reason because it honestly makes me not want to play them or against them because of how drat annoying it is to tell what's going on.

Again, you've got a great start and I would love to see where you go with this. Are you sticking with the Civ/AC techs? Are you adding or removing any? Are you aping the MC/WE techs? Part of the appeal of these games are how streamlined techs are. Adding in multiple and unique population cap modifiers quickly makes things complicated so keep that in mind.

tl;dr - ditch the hexes and swallow your cartography lessons and just make the map work mechanically first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU