Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005
Hey BG designer folks, please critique my outline for my new design and if possible give me a rating 1-10 on how much you'd like to play it based on this description.

The working title is 12 Angry Dice and it's a courtroom drama simulation (abstraction) for 2 players and is intended as a good couple's game.

The basic mechanic is a riff on area control, each juror is represented by 1 of 4 colors of 6 sided dice (r,g,y,b) that represents what type of evidence influences them. The dice are placed randomly in 2 rows of 6 to simulate a juror's box and set on 3 or 4 in staggered pattern to start. Defense wants to get all the dice as low as possible to score points, prosecution wants them all as high as possible to score points.

Dice are manipulated up or down using cards. The beginner's game has players simply drawing hands and playing them out one at a time. The advanced game has players drawing 8 cards each and drafting their hands each round by keeping a card for themselves and drafting one for their opponent each time the hands are passed, so you will wind up with 4 cards you have chosen for yourself and 4 your opponent has chosen. The cards are then played out one at a time to affect the dice.

The cards have effects ranging from "adjust any blue die up or down up to 2 pips", "invert any green die" or "pick up and roll all red dice".

Scoring is based on the end results of the dice in addition to hidden "closing argument" cards which award bonus points in various ways such as "Score all blue dice as if they were a 3 or 4 your choice" or "+1 vp for each odd die face showing". Players start the game with 1 closing argument card and get a new one (totally random) each round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005
Just finished up the card files for the Alpha playtest of 12 Angry Dice. Anybody interested in playtesting? All you'd need are 12 d6 (3 each in red, green, blue and yellow, or some way to proxy that) and a way to mock up cards. I have the card file ready to go and the rules ready to go.

I don't have plat so please just post here or hit me up at my username@gmail.com to volunteer.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Now that the November design contest is over, I'm hoping we get a bunch of new posters looking for help with their designs :shobbon:

I'm writing up my Sellsheet to send off today. Anyone mind if I post it in here for feedback?

I'll happily look at your sell sheet if you playtest my game (:

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005
I don't know exactly what a publisher would think but I love the sound of it. Kind of like a more academic "Once Upon a Time" type game.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Works for me, emailing you. Be warned, I am awful at fitting in games.

Heres my first draft, any pointers anyone?

Good Afternoon,

My name is [NemesisOfMoles] and I am writing to you to submit my game, Parlay, for publication consideration.

Parlay is a party game for 4 to 8 players where players draw a hand of cards with complex and archaic words printed on them. Players also draw a Topic card that asks a question. The players must then answer this question, whilst trying to fit as many of their words into their answer as possible. During this, other players may also throw their own word cards at the speaking player, forcing them to use those words in their answer.

As the players use their words and the ones that are tossed at them, they accrue coins from a chest, once the chest is empty, the game is over and the player with the most coins wins.

The game has a Pirate theme, and comes with designs for papercraft costumes and props (treasure chest)

Parlay has an average running time of about a half an hour, though that can be extended by increasing the number of points available at the start of the game.
I have been extensively playtesting the game, including blind playtesting.
Thank you for your time and consideration, please email me if you have any further questions or issues regarding the above explanation of the game.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005
Playtest Report for 12 angry dice

Got in the first two games this Friday with my wife. Game actually plays fairly well. Discovered a major issue in that one of the alleged power cards was in fact awful in it's wording and needed to be reworked but is working as intended now.

Had Cody Jones over for games yesterday and got him to take a run through and he gave it an initial thumbs up. All games played of it so far are running close in scores.

Is it a good thing if all the scores of your playtest game run within 1-2 points of each other? I would love to believe it's just because it's well balanced but I'm slightly worried that it's in fact because the saminess of the actions to take results in obvious best plays that result in samey scores. I don't really think that's the case however because players have been taking plenty of time considering options and no one has said that they felt a lack of control at any point.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

xopods posted:

So yeah. Try to determine if your players are taking time about a decision because they're actually thinking about which of two or more distinct scenarios they prefer, or whether their time is being spent just trying to see a difference between two options that produce very similar results.

Fair enough. The game has a drafting phase and a card play phase and I certainly think that there are real and important decisions to be made in the first phase while the second may seem a little more obvious or illusion of choice. However with some of the luck based elements coming into play here (should I roll that die and try for more points or leave it alone to be safe?) as well as objections (basically counterspells) creating some tension of when and what order to play things in I would imagine that there is real analysis going on.

Only repeated testing will yield answers!

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

muuphish posted:

Playtest report for 12 Angry Dice. A bit later than I would have liked but you play when you can play.

I played a couple games tonight and it was pretty fun! My buddy and I both plan on playing it again. We did make a couple modifications after we played it, which we think improved a couple basic things:

1) Instead of a linear progression for points we did a bit more exponential, so that instead of 1, 2, and 3, the progression was 1, 4, and 6. This helped make the divide between the points at the end a bit larger while making the game feel more dramatic. Inverting my opponent's 6 to a 1 felt a lot more damaging when I was gaining 6 points rather than just 3.

2) The Freeze card seemed...weak. We found that freezing a card for a turn didn't effect the other's strategy, so we tried changing it to a round, using pennies to mark the frozen dice. It ended up being pretty effective. Locking in a red die in the last round was crucial to my eventual win, blocking my opponent's red major shake-up.

I liked this game and I can't wait until you add some flavor to the cards to make them feel more like a courtroom game.

Thanks for the feedback!

The change on scoring is an interesting one and probably one I'll try (knew I would at some point). I wanted to keep the scores close in the game but maybe spreading them out a bit more will help out.

I'm experimenting with a few changes at present and I'd love to hear your thoughts at first glance.

1. I've modified the small single and medium double cards to make them more interesting and harder to ignore when drafting.
a. Small singles now move a die 1 pip +1 per card of that color that you have played that turn. So if you play a small single yellow after playing a yellow inverter and a medium double, it would move a die 3 pips
b. Medium doubles now let you split up the two pips of movement if you want to, giving it some flexibility making it harder to ignore
c. The large triples remain powerful but more limited in scope

I wanted to bring all of them more in line so it wasn't so simple to just toss the small singles off on your opponent as junky cards, but depending on what the hand looked like you would have to really think about it.

2. Objections don't work automatically anymore. I found that objections were likely the most powerful card and first card drafted in each hand. To make it a little more interesting I've tweaked it to require a 2+ roll on a d6 (separate, not a juror) for the first objection played. If you play a second objection, it'll require a 3+ ect ect...I'll also be testing out having it require a higher roll for EVERY objection played, not just your own, which would really increase the strategy in terms of when in the turn you played them vs. waiting for your opponents power cards.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005
12 Angry Dice Test report.

Had a great game with the new versions of the cards. I think they make the decisions a lot more interesting in the early draft phases. I also love the new objection cards and it made a huge impact on this game.

Final score in this one was Me:21 Wife:9

I'm pretty sure this was a result of several strategic and tactical errors on my wife's part and I'm pretty sure at this point that the game doesn't just play itself with obvious choices. The really interesting bit was that this would have actually been 30-6 if my second and final objection of the turn hadn't been overruled by me rolling a 2 when I needed a 3+.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005
Also, Gamesalute takes open submissions (though they're temporarily closed till after Jan 1). This isn't actually to publish your game, but to effectively help you get your art, graphic design, production, fulfillment and kickstarter guidance all set up for you. Basically they do everything a publisher does (and supposedly at a higher margin for the designer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

xopods posted:

Thread's been quiet over the holidays, presumably because I've been busy scrambling to meet my deadline, and everyone else has been busy stuffing themselves with turkey/latkes and playing with Christmas/Hanukkah gifts.

Just to try to get conversation started again, is anyone making any game design-related New Year's resolutions? Brainstorm 31 ideas in 31 days in January? One prototype a month for 2013? Finished design ready to pitch to publishers by the end of the year?

I definitely have a resolution to get my mechanics hammered out and settled for 12 Angry Dice and then start working on the themeing the cards and getting at least some clipart/stock photos to use as art for the cards to spice it up a bit.

I definitely have a goal to get it into publishers hands by June at the very latest.