Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Explicitly not allow leading questions? Have someone yell "Objection!" and whoever is the "judge" for the round decides to sustain or overrule it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Not that it was a bad post, but he did mention Aye in his post. :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

modig posted:

This makes me think you could have a competitive version of the game. One player is the prosector, one is the witness. The prosecutor describes the crime scene with their evidence (word cards, probably from a limited suset) and their version of what happened. The witness describes the same crime scene (possibly with more words) in a way that explains it all with no crime, or someone else doing the crime. Then of course the judge fits in well. It may be best as a theme card like cowboy.

That was kind of my thought process, yeah. Maybe have a Phoenix Wright themed game with that sort of gameplay.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

What's stopping you from just using hidden orders a la Game of Thrones or the like? You put down your player marker to denote where you were last seen (like, say, Frozen Synapse, which is a video game of course), and then spread some orders out that allow you to go in various ways. Each order token has a "this is what I will do if I see an enemy" sort of thing on it, and if you put down "snipe" and someone manages to close to the same space as you and puts down "smash face with shovel", obviously they're going to win/do better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The only reason I suggested attack commands is that which weapon you have out, and whether you're zoomed in or not, can make a huge difference in a clash. Maybe if you're switching weapons, you put that card down underneath your movement card? And, if a weapon has zoom, zoom in or zoom out? Nothing like sniping someone across the room only to get knifed in the back, after all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I swear, knifing a sniper in the back is the second-most fun part of FPS's.

The most fun, of course, is sniping, but it unfortunately leas to the second-most way too often!

So yeah, the action queue, with weapon switching and then some sort of resolution phase wherein you check line of sight, guns fire, knifers knife, spinners spin, and so on.

Feels like it would be a lot of bluffing and not as much action, if designed wrong, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sarx posted:

At Gen Con I got to be a judge for Cards Against Humanity's Tabletop Deathmatch competition, where I was brought on to provide the perspective of a retailer and it really re-inspired me to get my designs to completion, so hopefully I will be an active participant in this thread from here on out.

I am currently working on a worker placement/dungeon crawl game and I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts about what the sweet spot for a maximum number of workers was?

Most games seem to have 3-6, often starting at 3 and going up as you get more.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm laughing so hard on the inside (at work).

Brilliant. Make it. Do it. Sell it for 10 bucks a pop/poop.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Link? I love reading old mafia games. At least, the good ones.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yup, is correct. I used to read lots of mafia games, stopped when there got to be way too many at all times.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Feels a bit like the computer game (playable both solo vs AI and duel against a player) Frozen Synapse. Have you played/seen it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Casnorf posted:

I'm working on a little project, sort of a challenge that I've set for myself. I wanted to see how well I could divorce game mechanics from theme, and let the mechanics of the result evoke a theme. To that end, I wanted to see what the folks of this thread thought what themes, if any, are suggested by what mechanics.

I'm working under the assumption that some mechanics lend themselves naturally to certain themes. The unknown betrayer makes sense for a suspense environment, and drawing rewards out of a deck can suggest treasure hunting (finding!) in all its themed variations. Of course the themes we're working with here will be very broad given how abstract a game mechanic tends to be.

So far it's just a fun thought puzzle but I'd love to see what comes out.

Are you thinking in the vein of Tekopo's "Tigris and Euphrates is one of the most thematic games I know"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

As my example was trying to say, you're sure not exploring in T&E! You're helping construct a story of how civilizations built, warred, and were torn apart.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

The closest thing you've got to a parallel right now is actually Stratego.

Which, while definitely showing its age, is still a decent game for what it is, which is a fog of war tactical game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Patchistory does that too, and in a more grand scale, so you might want to look at it too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

Random mechanic idea: I wonder how the opposite of a deckbuilder would work. Deckwhittler? Deckthinner? Basically instead of starting with a small deck and adding more and more cards to it, starting with a big deck and then removing cards from it as the game goes on to refine what it does. Not sure if this would be interesting in trying to make sure your deck does what it needs to do as it gets smaller and smaller, or if it would just feel lovely as you lose more and more options.

...bullshit? :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Anniversary posted:

Never mind.

:)

Not that it's a strict comparison, but the concept of starting with many, trying to get rid of all your cards, while losing options as you go. I mean, Uno, too, there's a bunch of card games using that idea, I feel.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hmmm.

So the 18xx games are a strong contender for "doesn't have variable setup", right? I'm trying to think of games that aren't abstracts that qualify.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kashuno posted:

So I guess maybe if I explain my game a bit more you guys might be able to find a place to provide variability. Play takes place over two phases: a worker placement phase and a player combat phase. In the first phase, workers are placed to either strengthen the warrior or forge weapons and armor. Then, in the second phase, all players enter free for all gladiatorial combat attempting to kill each other. I'm not really sure where to add variability.

Gladiators have only two stats, Health and Stamina. Players gain additional workers when their warriors die in combat

Hmmm. Sounds a bit like Dungeon Lords with a bit more direct competition?

DL has variability in the stuff you acquire (only a few things are available in a given turn, so which order they come out in), the dudes coming to beat you up (probably not applicable here) and the combat phase has a bit of variability in the form of spells that will be cast if enough wizards are attacking you, and you can look at which ones are coming with a specific action.

So, just from your description, if the forging uses specific items, you could have a limited selection available each turn and so which order they come in will change, you could have events that will affect the combat (so, say, this round has a lion which will attack the gladiator with the least health, this round has rain that affects stamina in a certain way so you can plan for them)...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sounds a little bit like 500 rummy, just in terms of the "pick up everything from the stack" stuff. Sounds pretty amusing, too!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kashuno posted:

I think the first lesson is huge. I've been working on a player combat game for a bit now and I had been constantly trying to remove the whole setting yourself up/proper positioning aspect of it (the downtime) to make it more and more combat focused, but then it just became a mess. Having some breathing time and pacing in a game really adds to the overall experience.

On a different note, I think I've finally got this thing ready for playtesting. Anybody willing to give a quick read over the rules? It's two pages (3 with game modes) Thanks in advance!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bs7yx0rDu1RpotzmSFLv5O30RrXierFrz2J8FkuX-Us/edit?usp=sharing

I mean, take some games where there's a resolution phase, like dungeon lords. Everyone secretly chooses their orders, which is exciting because it's your major decision points...and then you just place your dudes down in order with no decisions, then choose to take the actions which, other than monsters and rooms is mostly "yeah I'm gonna take this action that I'm on".

But the secret choosing part depends wholeheartedly on the resolution mechanic!

Basically I'm agreeing and it's pretty cool!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

So I was thinking about Snake Oil and how the scoring system is poo poo because it's so easily broken by anyone playing to win and dependent on turn order. It takes the scoring from a game like Apples 2 Apples or CAH but doesn't account for the fact that anonymity is the only thing that makes those games' scoring systems "fair," though even in those games nobody plays to win.

Then I thought of the countless hours in high school my friends and I spent playing Big 2/President/rear end in a top hat. In those games, we never kept score or counted wins, but there was always a competitive desire to win each round or to place as highly as possible because it gave benefits in the next round. So I was thinking of adapting that idea to a game that is otherwise quite similar to Snake Oil - you want to win because it gives you a benefit next round, but there is no keeping score through multiple rounds.

I've got a rough draft written up of such a game, which is basically like snake oil but with this new "scoring" system that doesn't keep score. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ous-dUA2romiNA7E-cWxF10GIILV_cdqy7KN8URW0jg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Thoughts? Maybe the answer is simply "Nobody cares about the scoring, dummy. Don't play to win." But I thought there was room for improvement, and I hope some people agree.

Are you chinese? No one I know has ever heard of Big 2 except chinese people. :v:

(it's actually fabulous with scoring, makes you really decide on that tipping point where you go for "getting rid of some of your hand" vs "trying to go out")

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I think my wife learned it without those rules, so it's just each round winner gets points and losers lose points, first to some score wins.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dancer posted:

A long long time ago I saw a description somewhere of a "risk-like" where you had some playing cards arranged in a grid, in alternate horizontal/vertical orientations. Players could only attack in the two directions the card was pointing (and there were some other relevant details that I couldn't possibly remember). To be fancy, you might even extend the concept to a hex grid. Since you don't have area-to-area attacking (at least not currently), maybe this could translate to some scoring synergy instead.

Fields of Fire? ;)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So the ways I can think of to convert resources to points:

Agricola: buy improvements, build up a personal board of stuff
A Feast for Odin: build boats, buildings, some cards let you convert resources to stuff
Keyflower: have some buildings that are worth points, more points if you get certain resources, flip them using resources for more points
Marco Polo: contracts for resources -> points, some buildings let you convert them, worth a flat number at end of game

Just going by some other worker placements.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But did you move it back to more than one tile per worker placed?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Per your guys suggestion, tried the number of workers plus 1 and it worked surprisingly well! Toying with another tile placement idea and different tile designs from here on, but at least it feels much better

Swank, really glad to hear it! See, trying out completely broken rulesets is useful! :D

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So kinda betrayal esque but without the lovely exploration setup phase and actually balanced thought out scenarios?

Yeah I could see that working.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Anniversary posted:

I suspect it was a case of posting in the wrong thread?

Yeah agreed; there's a "CaH is trash" vs "But we had fun with it" argument going on right now in the main boardgames thread.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lovely!!

is it bee lives verb or plural noun?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mind sharing what the prototype concept is? Everyone here is always eager to hear about goongames!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That sounds super cool. Have you ever played losers chess or the like? (trying to lose all your pieces, you must take a piece if you can, you choose which if you can take more than one)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Are we allowed to have two goon dog themed games??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dominant species gives you a market row of tiles to draft, which might be better but might not too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yourself, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I believe someone said to make sure both of you stay at least 3 feet from the monitor, though...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sarx posted:

I just came back to SA after a long absence and it's cool to see this thread, because when I last posted I was just getting started as a designer and I'm one of the lucky few who gets to call it their full time job. Super inspiring to look through the thread and see all the creativity.

Holy poo poo, you're not kidding. What games do you have?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

h_double posted:

I think there was a deck of event cards you could get for Catan, that was just 36 cards with the possible rolls of 2d6, to make resource production more level and predictable.

The first arc of the anime/manga Kaiji (it's a gambling anime) revolves around "Restricted Rock/Paper/Scissors" where each player gets 12 cards, four each of R/P/S, each only usable once. This introduces a whole layer of metagame around probabilities and psychology.

Made the game way way way more playable yeah. There's a reshuffle card that goes five or nine or something cards from the bottom, so you aren't guaranteed to get everything every time, but you're way more likely to get a regular distribution than with dice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I think when I used to play ohell we used even, under, and over, just those words with no additional words.

Okay your bid, we're two under. Wow you're bidding five, now we're three over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Or just plus and minus.

We're at minus one, someone's taking an extra trick!