Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

C-Euro posted:

With the WiiU and its download service getting underway, has Nintendo announced any plans to pull the plug on the regular Wii Shop? There's a few VC games I've been meaning to download but haven't bothered to yet, and I'm not getting a WiiU anytime soon.

Considering they just started selling the mini Wii, I would hope not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

C-Euro posted:

With the WiiU and its download service getting underway, has Nintendo announced any plans to pull the plug on the regular Wii Shop? There's a few VC games I've been meaning to download but haven't bothered to yet, and I'm not getting a WiiU anytime soon.

No idea if they are planning on killing it, but it's looking that way, with the lack of new Wii content in the last two weeks and the sudden disappearance of Donkey Kong Country 1 - 3 on the Wii Shop.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

C-Euro posted:

I don't think so, they may on VC games once they get them ported over to WiiU but I don't see them shutting off wiiware downloads for a couple more years.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

thexerox123 posted:

Considering they just started selling the mini Wii, I would hope not!

You do know that the mini Wii has no internet capability, right?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zaa Boogie posted:

You do know that the mini Wii has no internet capability, right?

Oh, seriously? Well then.

I really can't wrap my head around why they'd release a stunted version of a Wii right after releasing their new system. It seems like it's going to double the already-inevitable confusion this holiday season.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They ripped the wi-fi crap out because the online connection rate for the Wii is absurdly low. I have no idea why they didn't just do that a year ago when they released that other revision, but whatever.

Zuph posted:

Fair enough. Initial reports paint the Wii U as more indie friendly than the Wii, and arguably other consoles.

Sure, but the certification process is just as arcane and Nintendo still just announces release dates out of nowhere with no warning (and then doesn't stick to them!), so from a scheduling point of view it's just as unpredictable as ever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rirse posted:

the sudden disappearance of Donkey Kong Country 1 - 3 on the Wii Shop.

Woah, they're removing titles from the Wii Shop? Or was this just an isolated instance?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're not systematically pulling down old titles, no, they just announced they were pulling DKC 1-3 out of nowhere, with no explanation as to why.

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
I don't think anything like this has already been discussed, so hopefully this is a legit question: I'm using a Japanese 3ds and I really want to pick up some titles from the e-shop. I haven't tried purchasing anything yet because I want to make sure I know how it works first. Would anybody know if I need to charge it from a Japanese account or something? Could I just pick up a Nintendo points card locally and punch that in?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you have a Japanese 3DS you'll be locked to the Japanese eShop, with no way of changing it to another region, and you can only use prepaid currency cards/digital download codes from Japan, but I think you can just use your credit card without any issues.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're not systematically pulling down old titles, no, they just announced they were pulling DKC 1-3 out of nowhere, with no explanation as to why.

In the US they all already gone.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're already gone everywhere - PAL-land got a week's warning, but in NA/JP they got pulled with no warning whatsoever.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

If you have a Japanese 3DS you'll be locked to the Japanese eShop, with no way of changing it to another region, and you can only use prepaid currency cards/digital download codes from Japan, but I think you can just use your credit card without any issues.

Yeah, exactly. I just use my Canadian Visa card. It's the easiest, pain-free solution.
They just convert the currency to yen and charge you accordingly in your local currency with around 5% exchange surcharge tacked on.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Pac Man (NES) - $4.99

They do know they have the Gameboy version of Pac-Man on the VC already as well, right? For Cheaper? And that there's an arcade port of it on a rather cheap compilation cart on the 3DS that has Galaga too?

Seriously Nintendo, what a loving waste of a week. Could've released anything and you released something that's already on the drat service.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pac Man is a Namco game.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Pac Man is a Namco game.

Yeah, but doesn't Nintendo control what they put on the store?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sure, but what does Nintendo care if some other publisher wants to pay them to undercut its own releases? They'll probably end up releasing NES Xevious, too.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

^^They've already been taken down in all regions, no reason given. Anyway...

Yo European* dudes - if you register your 3DS XL with Club Nintendo by January 15 you'll be able to claim a download code for a free retail game! Choices include Super Mario 3D Land, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, New Art Academy, Freakyforms Deluxe and New Style Boutique. The promotion is retroactive, so if you've already registered your XL you're already eligible.

http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/3DSXLGamesPromotion/termsENG.html

*United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal and Russia

Thats pretty drat sweet, I'm waiting to get the new Layton game and an XL, this might be a good enough deal for me to actually get one.

If only they would announce more colours already, gah.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sure, but what does Nintendo care if some other publisher wants to pay them to undercut its own releases? They'll probably end up releasing NES Xevious, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
Its a game of money, after all.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Just finished little inferno...

Am I supposed to reconsider my whole life after that game? :psyduck:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Just finished little inferno...

Am I supposed to reconsider my whole life after that game? :psyduck:

Yea I don't know, the way everyone was talking about it I felt like it was building towards some kind of insight, but at the end I felt pretty unsatisfied. I loved the games style though.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I finished the other day, though I still have a few combos to unlock. I'm not sure why, but I found it pretty compelling. For a couple of days I was popping into it whenever I had a moment just to mess around.

I do wish I had held on to the hug ticket instead of burning it instantly. Does anyone know what happens if you save it until the end?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It just adds a short scene during the ending. I dug it up on YouTube after I beat it last week, it's pretty underwhelming.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
For some reason I thought Contra: Hard Corps was on the Wii VC. That was disappointing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
None of Konami's Sega games are on the VC - no Hard Corps, no Castlevania Bloodlines, no Rocket Knight.

They never got around to releasing OG Contra for NES, either, and they've skipped it again on the 3DS VC. No idea what the deal is there.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I hadn't read anything about it except that the game was a fireplace simulator, so the way it ended and the fact that there was even a story was pretty surprising to me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the NN Premium payout numbers for AU/NZ:

quote:

Nintendo Network Premium is a special reward programme available exclusively to Wii U Premium Pack owners with a registered Nintendo Network ID, who have their country of residence set to a location where full Nintendo eShop is available.

With every purchase of software or add-on content, or download code redemption for downloadable software, or add-on content in Nintendo eShop on your Wii U, you can earn points at a rate of 6 points for each AUD (5 points for each NZD)* of the Nintendo eShop Price (inclusive of GST) of the respective download.

*Actual number of points earned may be higher.

Once you have collected 500 points, you can redeem them for an activation code, which can be used to add funds equivalent to AUD 7.00 (or NZD 9.00 for New Zealand) to a Nintendo Network ID on a Wii U console, or to a Nintendo eShop account on a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 3DS XL system.

(The period for earning points will end on 31st December 2014. The period for redeeming points will end on 31st March 2015. All activation codes not redeemed by 30th June 2015 will be void.)

Note that the Premium redemption codes can be used on 3DS (and presumably Wii/DSi Shop Channel, too).

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 3, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Are the first puzzles in Crashmo supposed to be as hard as the late puzzles in Pushmo, or am I just really stupid and bad at puzzle games?

I'm already stuck and I'm only at Challenge 1-2... I don't remember Pushmo getting hard until 40 or so puzzles in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crashmo is much, much harder than Pushmo. It makes sense as you're essentially working in an additional plane.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Honestly, the puzzles in Pushmo gave me a lot of trouble, and I'm finding Crashmo easier to grasp.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The new NA Club Nintendo digital reward is up (click) - Brain Age Express: Sudoku! (DSiWare, 150 Coins)

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Here's some Crashmo puzzles

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two bits of news:

-Amazon Lovefilm is out on Wii now (in NA)and will be ready for Wii U "soon"

-NOE has confirmed that Wario Land 3 (GBC) will be out on the 3DS VC this week.

riding gravity
May 7, 2007

Two bits of news:

-Amazon Lovefilm is out on Wii now (in NA)and will be ready for Wii U "soon"

-NOE has confirmed that Wario Land 3 (GBC) will be out on the 3DS VC this week.

I hope NOA brings over Wario Land 3 soon!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA isn't even getting Wario Land 2 until after Xmas.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A 3DS system update just went live - no idea what it did outside of "improved system performance" (read: anti-flashcard updates).

Anything on Wii U?

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Anything on Wii U?

Yup! Made the mistake of trying to do something with the internet and now I'm looking at a System Update.

I mean I guess that's cool but I can't download in background.

At least I have P4Golden to keep me company.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
DSTWO and some of the R4i flashcarts were blocked according to GBATemp.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo Japan announced some more NSMB2 DLC - Challenge Pack C (***) and a "Precarious Footing Pack" (****), standard price. The rest of the world will probably get 'em this week, maybe even after tomorrow's Nintendo Direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Dehry posted:

DSTWO and some of the R4i flashcarts were blocked according to GBATemp.

DSTWO is already updated. Seems like a fairly pointless update. To be fair to Nintendo they have been fairly successful in blocking most other flash carts out there.