Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Nintendo have announced (well, there's a page for it in the store) the first "app" for 3DS in Japan, "Recochoku", a music download service. No idea if this means the tap has been opened and we can expect to see Facebook, Youtube, etc or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (December 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Funky Barn - €44.99 / £39.99
WII U eSHOP
    Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition - €9.99 / £8.99
    Netflix - free!
    Amazon LOVEFiLM -free!
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points

quote:

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Paper Mario Sticker Star (December 7) - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS eSHOP
    THE "DENPA" MEN: They Came By Wave - €7.99 / £7.19
    2 Fast 4 Gnomz - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Wario Land 3 (Game Boy Color) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Art Academy DLC Lessons - €1.99 / £1.79 each
  • Paint like Van Gogh
  • Reflections
3DS VIDEO
    The 3D Machine series - €0.99 / £0.89 each
  • Attack of the Giant Lizard
  • Brain-Eating Aliens from Outer Space
  • Web of Horror
  • Mummy Mayhem
  • Tentacle of Terror
    The Incredible Barbazan series - €0.99 / £0.89 each (price reduction!)
  • The Cabinet of Fear
  • The Fire Juggler
  • The Human Cannonball
  • The Knife Thrower
  • Raging Bull
  • Up Your Sleeve
DSIWARE
    Christmas Wonderland 2 - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
"VIDEO GAME HEROES" SALE: DONKEY KONG (ends December 13)
    Donkey Kong '94 (Game Boy) - €2.99 / £2.69 - 25% off!
    Donkey Kong Jr. (NES) - €3.49 / £3.19 - 30% off!

Netflix/Lovefilm may or may not be available right now; Wario Land 3 and the Donkey Kong sale are definitely live now.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 6, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (December 6):

Netflix/Lovefilm may or may not be available right now; Wario Land 3 and the Donkey Kong sale are definitely live now.

Man the EU version of Nintendo is so much better then NoA. Still not even got Wario Land 2 and you get sales and Wario Land 3. Sometimes wish Reggie would just resign already.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...and for some more PAL 3DS news, Epic Mickey is up on the eShop, complete with demo.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
So I got a 3DSXL today and I got home and thought: "poo poo! Cave Story's on this! I should totally get it, because I don't recall anything else in the eShop being worth a drat! May as well put this 4GB card to use!"

Then I come to find that for whatever stupid loving reason, I can't get it.

Why am I not playing Cave Story right now? Is it a licensing thing? Is Nintendo allergic to my money? Sorry if I sound naive: I've only had a GBC and a DS Lite prior to this so I'm new to Nintendo's horrifically mismanaged forays into downloadable content. I'm not keen on getting the 3D version because it seems like a watered down version that has had all the charm sucked out of it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Goodpart posted:

So I got a 3DSXL today and I got home and thought: "poo poo! Cave Story's on this! I should totally get it, because I don't recall anything else in the eShop being worth a drat! May as well put this 4GB card to use!"

Then I come to find that for whatever stupid loving reason, I can't get it.

Why am I not playing Cave Story right now? Is it a licensing thing? Is Nintendo allergic to my money? Sorry if I sound naive: I've only had a GBC and a DS Lite prior to this so I'm new to Nintendo's horrifically mismanaged forays into downloadable content. I'm not keen on getting the 3D version because it seems like a watered down version that has had all the charm sucked out of it.

Wait I thought it was just recently released on eshop?

E: Yeah at least in the US eshop its on there, just search for Cave Story.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you don't have a NA 3DS it's because the publisher hasn't released the game outside of NA (and there's no ETA on the PAL release).

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

PonchAxis posted:

E: Yeah at least in the US eshop its on there, just search for Cave Story.
I should have mentioned I'm a filthy Australian.

I guess they really are allergic to money.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Goodpart posted:

The publisher, Nicalis, is horrendously, famously awful. They ran another game, La Mulana, into the ground so hard that the dev has since split off from them and is trying to get their game onto Steam completely independently, since apparently not having any publisher at all is better than having Nicalis representing you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Goodpart posted:

Aussies get the short end of the stick when it comes to digital releases - Nintendo doesn't let devs release their stuff here without an OFLC rating, which costs dozens of times more than the equivalent ratings for other regions despite having a much smaller population, so a lot of indies just skip releasing their games in AU/NZ altogether. That being said, you can just change your region to the UK or a Euro country and get access to the full PAL store (with cheaper prices to boot).

In Cave Story's case, the game hasn't been released in PAL territories at all, primarily because the publisher sucks balls.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

In Cave Story's case, the game hasn't been released in PAL territories at all

An addendum to others that you are talking about the downloadable version. There is a retail, graphically different edition of the game. It is apparently rather rare to find now, though.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Aussies get the short end of the stick when it comes to digital releases - Nintendo doesn't let devs release their stuff here without an OFLC rating, which costs dozens of times more than the equivalent ratings for other regions despite having a much smaller population, so a lot of indies just skip releasing their games in AU/NZ altogether. That being said, you can just change your region to the UK or a Euro country and get access to the full PAL store (with cheaper prices to boot).

In Cave Story's case, the game hasn't been released in PAL territories at all, primarily because the publisher sucks balls.

I live in Australia and I still don't understand this argument. According to here: http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/Industry/Journey/CGnonA/Step3.aspx it would cost a couple of thousand at most to get a game classified. That doesn't sound too much for most companies wanting to distribute a game. That aside, indie games without Australian classifications are sold on Steam, iOS and Android Play all the time. We don't get the Xbox indie service yet we get thousands of unclassified games across PC, iOS and Android.

Yeah our classification system is pretty stupid but I think perhaps it is being used too often as an excuse to mismanage an Australian release.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Rirse posted:

Man the EU version of Nintendo is so much better then NoA. Still not even got Wario Land 2 and you get sales and Wario Land 3. Sometimes wish Reggie would just resign already.

Yeah, but on the plus side, we don't have to pay 64 bucks for Paper Mario Sticker Star, so I don't think we come out so bad.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

you can just change your region to the UK or a Euro country and get access to the full PAL store (with cheaper prices to boot).
Will I lose out on anything in particular if I do this? Not to mention, will I able to change back to Australia once I'm done foraging in the Euro store? It seems like too neat of a solution at this point.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Wario Land 3 (Game Boy Color) - €3.49 / £3.19 - 30% off!
Why is WL3 included in a Donkey Kong-themed sale?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I slept through the NA press release! Oops.

Goodpart posted:

Will I lose out on anything in particular if I do this? Not to mention, will I able to change back to Australia once I'm done foraging in the Euro store? It seems like too neat of a solution at this point.

If you've already added funds to the eShop in $AUD then you won't be able to spend them on the UK/EU stores, but it'll remember you've got them and you'll be able to spend them if/when you switch back. You also can't use AU/NZ eShop currency cards on the UK/EU eShop, so you'll have to buy things via credit card.

Joramun posted:

Why is WL3 included in a Donkey Kong-themed sale?

Error on my part, the other game is DK Jr. for NES.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA update (December 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Ben 10 Omniverse - $39.99
    Family Party: 30 Great Games - Obstacle Arcade - $39.99
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth - $49.99
    Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game - $39.99
WII U eSHOP
    FIFA 13 (demo)
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Burger Time (NES) - 500 Points

quote:

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Classic Card Games Overload: Cards & Puzzles Edition $29.99
    Harvest Moon: A New Beginning 3D $39.99
    LEGO Lord of the Rings $39.99
    Scribblenauts Unlimited $39.99
3DS eSHOP
    Murder on the Titanic - $7.99
    Fractured Soul (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mighty Bomb Jack (NES) - $4.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 Downloadable Coin Rush Packs - $2.50 each
  • Coin Challenge Pack C (***)
  • Platform Panic Pack (****)
  • Golden Classics Pack (free until January 31!)
DSIWARE
    Christmas Wonderland 2 - 800 Points / $7.99
    Crystal Adventure - 200 Points / $1.99

PAL update (December 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Funky Barn - €44.99 / £39.99
WII U eSHOP
    Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition - €9.99 / £8.99
    Netflix - free!
    Amazon LOVEFiLM -free!
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points

quote:

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Paper Mario Sticker Star (December 7) - €44.99 / £39.99
    Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS eSHOP
    THE "DENPA" MEN: They Came By Wave - €7.99 / £7.19
    2 Fast 4 Gnomz - €4.99 / £4.49
    Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Wario Land 3 (Game Boy Color) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Art Academy DLC Lessons - €1.99 / £1.79 each
  • Paint like Van Gogh
  • Reflections
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 Downloadable Coin Rush Packs - €2.50 / £2.00 each
  • Coin Challenge Pack C (***)
  • Platform Panic Pack (****)
  • Golden Classics Pack (free until January 31!)
3DS VIDEO
    The 3D Machine series - €0.99 / £0.89 each
  • Attack of the Giant Lizard
  • Brain-Eating Aliens from Outer Space
  • Web of Horror
  • Mummy Mayhem
  • Tentacle of Terror
    The Incredible Barbazan series - €0.99 / £0.89 each (price reduction!)
  • The Cabinet of Fear
  • The Fire Juggler
  • The Human Cannonball
  • The Knife Thrower
  • Raging Bull
  • Up Your Sleeve
DSIWARE
    Christmas Wonderland 2 - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
    Donkey Kong Jr. (NES) - €3.49 / £3.19 - 30% off!

I think that's everything. Still no Ninja Gaiden for NA... how many times are they gonna date that thing and then not release it?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
The only thing that Family Party game has going for it is the Miiverse community, like Funky Barn its loving hysterical.

Anyway, weren't we supposed to get WL2 in the US by now or is that two weeks from now?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's either WL2 on the 20th and SMB: Lost Levels on the 27th, or vice versa, I forget.

Then again, NOA said you were getting Ninja Gaiden on the 15th of last month, yet here we are.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

It's either WL2 on the 20th and SMB: Lost Levels on the 27th, or vice versa, I forget.

Then again, NOA said you were getting Ninja Gaiden on the 15th of last month, yet here we are.

Well, I think they did the same thing with Block Ball, took them two months to finally get it out.

So I'm expecting Ninja Gaiden on the second thursday of January.

Also, we're getting SMB2 JP for the 3DS as well? I'd consider it if I didn't already own three copies of that. I'll probably end up buying it anyway, another game on the go can't be all that bad.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The only thing that Family Party game has going for it is the Miiverse community, like Funky Barn its loving hysterical.
Hysterical in what way? You've made me curious to check it out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Joramun posted:

Hysterical in what way? You've made me curious to check it out.

If you've ever seen Funky Barn's community, Family Party has the same deal going on, either people making fun of the bear on the icon, references to shovels, or in the rare case, awesome drawings like the above.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A few bits of news:

-The Wii U Deluxe/Premium Promotion has started, so you should be able to redeem any of the points you've earned for digital purchases now

-Ubisoft confirmed the Rayman Legends demo for next week

-NOE confirmed they'll be doing more "Video Game Heroes" sales on the 3DS eShop after the DK one - next week is Metroid!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (December 13):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Rayman Legends (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Crimson Shroud - €7.99 / £7.19
    Hydroventure: Spin Cycle - €9.99 / £8.99
DSIWARE
    Wizard Defenders - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
"VIDEO GAME HEROES" SALE: METROID (ends December 20)
    Metroid (NES) - €3.49 / £3.19 - 30% off!
    Metroid II - Return of Samus (Game Boy) - €2.99 / £2.69 - 25% off!

(Remember, retail downloads are released independently of other eShop games, so they often don't appear on the press release, but that doesn't mean they're not out/coming out!)

Crimson Shroud is a pen-and-paper-style RPG from Yasumi Matsuno (the Final Fantasy Tactics/Ogre Battle dude) and the last of the Guild01 releases. The Japanese response was mixed, but they've apparently changed a few things for the eShop release.

Hydroventure: Spin Cycle is a sequel to Hydroventure (Fluidity in NA), one of WiiWare's best games. The original had more of a Mario 64-esque structure but this one looks to be more directly level-based. (It's a gyro game, so no 3D.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA's latest Club Nintendo reward is up - 1080 Snowboarding (Wii Virtual Console [N64], 150 Coins). Ends January 6.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA Wii U dudes - demos for Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Stars Racing are live on the eShop. I guess demos go live at midnight, same as retail downloads? Okay. (EDIT: Rayman is 575MB, Sonic Kart is 1172MB.)

Batman is also up for digital download.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 13, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yo NA Wii U dudes - demos for Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Stars Racing are live on the eShop. I guess demos go live at midnight, same as retail downloads? Okay.

Batman is also up for digital download.

Probably all the Wii U getting this week as well. I wish they would give it some new stuff instead of just spreading out the digital retail games and demos.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (December 13):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Rayman Legends (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Crimson Shroud - €7.99 / £7.19
    Hydroventure: Spin Cycle - €9.99 / £8.99
DSIWARE
    Wizard Defenders - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
"VIDEO GAME HEROES" SALE: METROID (ends December 20)
    Metroid (NES) - €3.49 / £3.19 - 30% off!
    Metroid II - Return of Samus (Game Boy) - €2.99 / £2.69 - 25% off!

NA update (December 13)

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Batman Arkham Asylum: Armored Edition - $59.99
    Rayman Legends (demo)
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (demo)
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Real Bout Fatal Fury (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Adventure Time: Hey Ice King, Why'd You Steal Our Garbage!? - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Crimson Shroud - $7.99
    Gardenscapes - $7.99
    Adventure Time: Hey Ice King, Why'd You Steal Our Garbage!? (demo)
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Ninja Gaiden (NES) - $4.99
DSIWARE
    Chuck E. Cheese's Alien Defense Force - 500 Points / $4.99
    Rytmik: World Music Edition - 800 Points / $7.99
    Zombie Skape - 200 Points / $1.99

Crimson Shroud is the pen-and-paper-style RPG by Yasumi Matsuno (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, etc) and the last of Level-5's Guild01 eShop releases. May or may not feature actual gameplay!

The Adventure Time game has been out at retail for a couple weeks now, and the verdict seems to be that what's there is good and there's tons of fanservice but it's really short (~5 hours).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What time does the eshop usually update?

I heard Crimson Shroud is pretty much just a videogame table top game, which is kinda cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Retail games (and retail demos, I think) go up at midnight in their respective territories. eShop games and Wii/DSi stuff go up at around 9AM PST in NA and noon UK time in PAL-land... I think, I suck at remembering the time zones. PAL stuff should be up now.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

DrManiac posted:

What time does the eshop usually update?

I heard Crimson Shroud is pretty much just a videogame table top game, which is kinda cool.

The eShop updates at 11am Central time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I guess that's all the excuse I need to get the Adventure Time game.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Launch trailer for Crimson Shroud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_GMp-Uw2d8

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I'll be waiting before I buy Crimson Shroud, I bought Liberation Maiden because I thought it looked cool but ended it up being hilariously short.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah I'll be waiting before I buy Crimson Shroud, I bought Liberation Maiden because I thought it looked cool but ended it up being hilariously short.

From this preview it looks like it's only 5 hours long on the first playthrough.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/12/crimson-shroud-playtest-an-enhanced-visual-novel/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

PonchAxis posted:

I don't know what you were expecting given that they are each a fraction of a game.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Picked up Crimson Shroud, today, and I loving love it. The pacing is far slower than what you might expect, but the game goes a long way to sell you on the idea of the game being a JRPG mixed with a tabletop RPG, and does a great job with it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
XSEED has finally managed to get Unchained Blades (3DS) through lotcheck! It'll be out on the NA eShop on January 3 for $29.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Based on how much praise Pushmo/Crashmo were getting in the thread, I downloaded Pushmo, and actually like it! I am even considering the sequel whenever I finish it.

The only concern is that at world 2 I'm getting stuck on some, and 3D sounds like a challenge.

Though I haven't played it, yet I hope Sakura Samurai wasn't a wasted purchase.