Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
E: (Regarding the TVii US launch) That's all well and good, but what does it do in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (December 20):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Chasing Aurora - €5.99 / £5.39 until January 3! (standard price €11.99)
    Little Inferno - €9.99 / £8.99 until January 3! (standard price €14.99)
3DS eSHOP
    escapeVektor - €9.99 / £8.99
    Gunman Clive - €1.99 / £1.79
    Rising Board 3D (price reduction) €1.99, previously €2.69
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Art Academy DLC Lessons - €1.99 / £1.79 each
  • Glass and Light
  • Expressionism
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2 Downloadable Coin Rush Packs - €2.50 / £2.00 each
  • Mystery Pack (***)
  • Impossible Pack (*****)
DSIWARE
    Cake Ninja: XMAS - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
    Castle Conqueror: Heroes 2 - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
"VIDEO GAME HEROES" SALE: MARIO (ends December 27)
    Dr. Mario (Game Boy) - 1.99 / £1.80 - 50% off!
    Super Mario Bros. (NES) - €3.49 / £3.19 - 33% off!

NA update (December 20):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Jeopardy - $39.99
    Wheel of Fortune - $39.99
WIIWARE
    Vampire Crystals - 1000 Points
    Vampire Crystals (demo)
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    BIT.TRIP SAGA - $14.99
    Mario Tennis Open - $39.99
    Pilotwings Resort - $39.99
    Pokemon Rumble Blast - $39.99
3DS eSHOP
    3D Game Collection - $5.99
    escapeVektor - $9.99
    PIX3D - $3.99
    Riding Stables 3D $29.99
    2 Fast 4 Gnomz (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Wario Land 2 (Game Boy Color) - $4.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 Downloadable Coin Rush Packs - $2.50 each
  • Mystery Pack (***)
DSIWARE
    Anonymous Notes Chapter 3: From The Abyss - 200 Points / $1.99
    Cake Ninja: XMAS - 500 Points / $4.99
    Castle Conqueror: Heroes 2 - 500 Points / $4.99
SALES/DISCOUNTS
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until January 3
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - $9.99 until January 4
    Trine 2: Special Edition (Wii U eShop) - $14.99 until January 7

(I could be wrong about the price on the NA Wii U retail downloads, NOA doesn't list the prices for retail downloads on the press release.)

Today's new NSMB2 courses will be the final ones, apparently. Nice of 'em to go full kaizo on us.

BIT.TRIP SAGA is identical to the original retail release (ie same performance issues) but the devs have said they're looking into a patch. $15 is a good price, either way.

Gunman Clive is allegedly pretty okay? Wario Land 2 is definitely worth getting.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 21, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
So Trine 2, Chasing Aurora, and Little Inferno are all on sale in the e-shop right now. I know people have said Little Inferno is kind of not a game, but still fun. Would anyone say it's worth $10? I know $5 seems like a small difference, but that is just about enough to push me over the edge if it's entertaining enough, and lasts a few hours.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Edison Carter posted:

So Trine 2, Chasing Aurora, and Little Inferno are all on sale in the e-shop right now. I know people have said Little Inferno is kind of not a game, but still fun. Would anyone say it's worth $10? I know $5 seems like a small difference, but that is just about enough to push me over the edge if it's entertaining enough, and lasts a few hours.
It's worth $10. You should watch some gameplay to see if it is up your alley though. If you aren't in to the art style or sense of humor it has the value it presents could be diminished a lot.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA update (December 20):

quote:

3DS ADD-ON CONTENT

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Downloadable Coin Rush Packs - $2.50 each
  • Mystery Pack (***)

I'm guessing the Impossible pack is listed as 5 stars to keep the listings standard? In the trailer and the pack description, it lists the difficulty as "DANGER!"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I took that from the website which had five stars listed, I don't own the game anymore so I can't check directly. poo poo's hard, yo.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Wario Land 2 was a lot of fun when I played it way back before it was even redone on GBC. I'll recommend that one to anyone with 5 bucks to spare, and who enjoys quirky platformers. I may pick it up after Christmas.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Excellent, now I can continue my quest to have all the Wario Land games on my 3DS. I think 2 is the only one I've still never played. Hope it's a bit more complex than the first one.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Regy Rusty posted:

Excellent, now I can continue my quest to have all the Wario Land games on my 3DS. I think 2 is the only one I've still never played. Hope it's a bit more complex than the first one.

Wario Land 2 is the best Wario Land.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Wario Land 2 is great fun, this is my first time playing it.

Personally, I played Wario Land 3 a whole lot when I was younger, so I hope that comes out within the next 6 months or so.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wario Land 3 is better than 2, but they are both excellent in their own ways.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Wario land 1 is the best Wario land because it had none of those bullshit infinite health transforming gimmicks, and also is a great game and is fun and most awesome.

Yes, it's also the only one I've beaten 100%. I don't see how that's relevant :colbert:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wario Land 4 and Shake It are also the best games in the series.

(What I'm gettin' at here is that Wario owns.)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hated the stupid OK YOU HAVE THE KEY THING NOW RUN BACK THROUGH THE ENTIRE LEVEL REALLY FAST bullshit they introduced in 4. But I like Shake it! a lot in spite of how retardedly hard some of the secret levels are.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
“What!?!? You say I look fat and my quadruple chin looks like a waterfall of flab? Shut up! That's just because you have your television set up on widescreen display!”
—Wario, Wario World

This is why Gamecube games should be on the eShop.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Has anyone checked out 3D Game Collection?

It seems like it could be a decent little game collection, like Clubhouse Games was for the DS.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

Wario Land 2 is the best Wario Land.

I sincerely doubt that any earlier Wario Land could ever measure up to 4, but I don't judge them too harshly since they did come first.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

PirateNipple posted:

It seems like it could be a decent little game collection, like Clubhouse Games was for the DS.

When I first read your post, I thought to myself, "oh man, I could play CHESS IN 3D?"

Clicked through the link, saw Checkers, laughed to myself, but then was immediatelly disappointed. I can't play Chess in 3D! :v:

But seriously though, it's PROBABLY just a bunch of shovelware, but I'm still a bit curious if anything on there is worthwhile. I also want to know how Sudoku in 3D works.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The T posted:

Clicked through the link, saw Checkers, laughed to myself, but then was immediatelly disappointed. I can't play Chess in 3D! :v:

We need a 3DS remake of Battle Chess!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I was never into the Wario games as a kid and working through my backlog I played 4 first and loved it. I played 2 afterwards and quit it two hours in because it was such a huge step backwards.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

I was never into the Wario games as a kid and working through my backlog I played 4 first and loved it. I played 2 afterwards and quit it two hours in because it was such a huge step backwards.

That's really a shame.

Things like this are why I try my best to not play sequels before the first game in a series.

If you ever do get a chance, go back to the earlier Wario Land games and give them a try.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 22, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Wario series skipped me and I'm still not entirely sure how, so I resolved to play them all in order (minus the Virtual Boy one) for that reason. The Ambassador version of Wario Land 4 will be waiting for me when I'm ready for it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Bongo Bill posted:

The Wario series skipped me and I'm still not entirely sure how, so I resolved to play them all in order (minus the Virtual Boy one) for that reason. The Ambassador version of Wario Land 4 will be waiting for me when I'm ready for it.

Since you brought it up, let me say that the Virtual Boy game is quite good, too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Playing them in order is actually pretty interesting because I can see how they're adding improvements each time.

Like in the first game, Wario's movement was really clunky and awkward to control and the throwing enemies mechanic was very bare bones. Even the powerup system was essentially just based off Mario games. In general it played very much like a Mario game with a bit more of an emphasis on exploration and secrets.

In Wario Land 2, his movement is still equally clunky but they've changed up a bunch of other things. He's now gained his signature ability to charge up throws a bit in any direction. They also got rid of the Mario style powerups in favor of various enemy based ones that can be either obstacles or necessary to find secrets, which sticks around and gets more fleshed out in later games. On the other hand, they made treasure hunting more annoying by having the treasure and painting pieces blocked by annoying minigames which feel tacked on and unnecessary. I also really dislike the way they chose to handle bosses. Since Wario doesn't have health, each boss has an attack that removes you from the boss arena and forces you to trek back through part of the level and start the fight over. This was particularly annoying on the 'final' boss, where you have to go through a fairly significant portion of the level. I finally got fed up and just started using save states. I think they should've found a better solution than a bunch of one hit moves.

I'm interested to see what more changes 3 makes when I get to play it again.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 22, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I know the Virtual Boy one had a more refined version of the powerup system, where I think you could combine the various helmets; it wasn't until Wario Land 2 that Wario was invulnerable. I seem to remember that Wario Land 4 gave you a health bar instead of just having you drop coins when you take a hit, which I suppose means the level design can be more flexible.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

PirateNipple posted:

It's wank. Get one of those free 1000-in-1 apps for your phone and shake it in front of your face and pretend it's 3d, more fun.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Playing them in order is actually pretty interesting because I can see how they're adding improvements each time.

Like in the first game, Wario's movement was really clunky and awkward to control and the throwing enemies mechanic was very bare bones. Even the powerup system was essentially just based off Mario games. In general it played very much like a Mario game with a bit more of an emphasis on exploration and secrets.

In Wario Land 2, his movement is still equally clunky but they've changed up a bunch of other things. He's now gained his signature ability to charge up throws a bit in any direction. They also got rid of the Mario style powerups in favor of various enemy based ones that can be either obstacles or necessary to find secrets, which sticks around and gets more fleshed out in later games. On the other hand, they made treasure hunting more annoying by having the treasure and painting pieces blocked by annoying minigames which feel tacked on and unnecessary. I also really dislike the way they chose to handle bosses. Since Wario doesn't have health, each boss has an attack that removes you from the boss arena and forces you to trek back through part of the level and start the fight over. This was particularly annoying on the 'final' boss, where you have to go through a fairly significant portion of the level. I finally got fed up and just started using save states. I think they should've found a better solution than a bunch of one hit moves.

I'm interested to see what more changes 3 makes when I get to play it again.

3 is pretty much a beefed up 2, the bosses still knock you out of their arena as opposed to hurting you Except for the Final Boss, which is also the only way to get a Game Over, however unlike 2 where you are as strong as you'll ever be right from the start, WL3 decides to strip you down to being able to do the weakest possible charge attack, giving yourself the ability to throw enemies, swim, a stronger charge attack and the ground pound later on. Its also more focused on back-tracking to older levels to get more treasure, of which there are 4 in each level (Collection of a treasure also ends the level), some of which are just for show, others give you a means to progress forward. I'd say its like Metroid if it was Level-based and Samus was a greedy gently caress who couldn't die. That being said, other than the annoying at times bosses, the game does like to gently caress you over with the status inflictions sometimes, and has a habit of foregoing puzzles (Since 3 is a Puzzle platformer, for the most part.) for a moderately annoying Golf Mini-game where you have to knock Kiiby into a whole under par, fail and you have to try again at the loss of 10 coins. Speaking of coins, those take a backseat in this game, they only come out of blocks and enemies, and are not lying about in the open. There's also a Day/Night system, certain treasures can only be obtained in one time of day, the enemies are different too, you'll see Zombies at night, for example, and the Donut chef in the day.

Its by far a different beast than the rest of the series, but its by no means bad.

I would love them to make a Virtual Boy Virtual Console just so we could see an official re-release of VB Wario Land. I don't even care if it doesn't have 3D.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 22, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's really a shame.

Things like this are why I try my best to not play sequels before the first game in a series.

If you ever do get a chance, go back to the earlier Wario Land games and give them a try.

I own and beat the first one (so Super Mario Land 3) and liked it, and I do plan on giving Wario Land 3 a try as well since it's still in my backlog. Maybe 2 is just the outlier for me.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

RMZXAnarchy posted:

3 is pretty much a beefed up 2, the bosses still knock you out of their arena as opposed to hurting you Except for the Final Boss, which is also the only way to get a Game Over, however unlike 2 where you are as strong as you'll ever be right from the start, WL3 decides to strip you down to being able to do the weakest possible charge attack, giving yourself the ability to throw enemies, swim, a stronger charge attack and the ground pound later on. Its also more focused on back-tracking to older levels to get more treasure, of which there are 4 in each level (Collection of a treasure also ends the level), some of which are just for show, others give you a means to progress forward. I'd say its like Metroid if it was Level-based and Samus was a greedy gently caress who couldn't die. That being said, other than the annoying at times bosses, the game does like to gently caress you over with the status inflictions sometimes, and has a habit of foregoing puzzles (Since 3 is a Puzzle platformer, for the most part.) for a moderately annoying Golf Mini-game where you have to knock Kiiby into a whole under par, fail and you have to try again at the loss of 10 coins. Speaking of coins, those take a backseat in this game, they only come out of blocks and enemies, and are not lying about in the open. There's also a Day/Night system, certain treasures can only be obtained in one time of day, the enemies are different too, you'll see Zombies at night, for example, and the Donut chef in the day.

Its by far a different beast than the rest of the series, but its by no means bad.

All of these are reasons why Wario Land 3 sucks. You start off gimped (the treasures unlock powers thing would have been really cool if they, you know, gave you new things instead of locking away what you could already do) and if you want to get everything you have to play through the same handful of boring levels a minimum of 4 times (more if you went in at the wrong time!) and ughhh god gently caress Wario Land 3. What a big boring step backwards.

4's cool though. Shake It not so much. Not as bad as 3 though. gently caress 3.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 22, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I liked Wario Land 3 a lot, gently caress the haters. You constantly get treasures which change or unlock parts of earlier levels, and things are totally different between day and night. 2 was ok but I hated the bullshit memory game thing you had to do to get map pieces that basically did nothing. I feel bad for the poor souls who have never played Virtual Boy Wario Land, it's probably my favorite of the lot. I can take or leave 4, I wasn't a big fan of losing treasure when getting hit, since it made getting gold crowns a pain in the rear end. I still never got a gold crown on that volcano level on hard because of that. Not that the crowns really did anything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well regardless of which Wario game anyone thinks is the best, I think there's one thing we can all agree on: Master of Disguise was a horrible abomination that no one should ever play.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Well regardless of which Wario game anyone thinks is the best, I think there's one thing we can all agree on: Master of Disguise was a horrible abomination that no one should ever play.

I played that once at a Gamestop demo kiosk. Well, by played I mean "Ran around the same circle of rooms a while", the game was almost unplayable

Either somebody had intentionally hosed up the touch screen calibration or something, because the little puzzles were undoable, they would go fine for a small bit, then WHAM I would fail because it suddenly jerked up for whatever reason.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That game would have been pretty good had it not been for the inappropriate, stupid touchscreen minigames you had to do to open chests. The platforming and transformations were fun.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Wario Land 2 was seriously one of my favorite games and I could never get into 3 quite as much because of the new mechanics. Really though, I can't think of a wario game I haven't enjoyed that much outside of Master of Disguise, mostly because I just found it really boring for whatever reason. Even Wario World wasn't really the worst platformer ever and it kind of feels like I'm one of the only people who feels that way about it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked Wario World well enough. It wasn't super great but it wasn't bad in any way. Master of Diguise was bad for two main reasons. The drawing gimmick to swap between powers really didn't work reliably at all and the level design was really bad. The final level in particular was this labyrinthine identical looking maze that was no fun to play.

I beat Wario Land 2 last night, and for the most part I quite enjoyed it despite its flaws. But holy poo poo the final level is terrible. I liked the bizarre aesthetic but man they just put in the most frustrating ridiculous obstacles and it totally killed my enthusiasm for the game while I slogged through it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
"The Final Level" in Wario Land 2 doesn't mean a lot, there's at least four of those.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

"The Final Level" in Wario Land 2 doesn't mean a lot, there's at least four of those.
Obviously he means Steal the Syrup's Treasure!!, you need superhuman patience to be able to finish that without using save states.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah, in Wario Land 2 you can even cause a major story branch in the very first level

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

Yeah, in Wario Land 2 you can even cause a major story branch in the very first level

This mechanic was pretty fun. Very Virtue's Last Reward in a weird sort of way. I also like how the story branches were mostly Wario finding more efficient ways to get his treasure back.

But yeah, I was talking about the level Joramun said. I did not have said superhuman patience so I was very grateful for the virtual console's savestate feature. Otherwise I'm sure I would've put the game down in disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

There are a TON of 3DS eShop titles I haven't been able to download since whenever Paper Mario Sticker Star came out. That's when my 3DS was like "lol get a bigger SD card bitch" and thus I have had to wait until Christmas.

Within 48 hours that 32 gig card will be in the slot and I will be able to download WHATEVER I drat WELL PLEASE. It will be glorious.

EDIT: Nintendo Life did an interview with Dan Adelman, eShop coordinator (I guess) guy.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 24, 2012