Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I made a big effort post on this in the Wii U thread, but basically there are two things wrong about the way it's presented in the media:

a) The law states the appropriate time window is 11pm-6am so Nintendo needlessly cut it further for no apparent reason.

b) The law also states that you can fulfill it by either making 18+ content available only during the aforementioned timeframe or using "technological or other means" to make it "impossible or reasonably hard" for kids to access this. Basically, any form of verification would do and it doesn't have to be 100%.

So Nintendo just solved "the problem" the easiest way they could, cut the allowed time by three hours needlessly and didn't bother to keep it Germany-only via IP tracing or anything. Our law is strict but I'd appreciate it if people didn't just look at it and say "oh those Germans did it, poor Nintendo!" because they went about this in the absolute dumbest way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I had a look at the text again and translated it more closely; in essence, you can fulfill the requirement of the law by "making it impossible or at least severely hinder minors from accessing the content via technical or other means" and I am pretty sure a simple age verification wouldn't fit the bill in terms of "severely hindering" minors. Pretty much any other form of verification would, such as asking for the number or your driver's license, passport or ID card (we all carry those, unlike the US) though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Haraksha posted:

Are any of the 3D classics really worth it?

3D is never worth it, you use it once and then go back to playing the game in 2D.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I was never into the Wario games as a kid and working through my backlog I played 4 first and loved it. I played 2 afterwards and quit it two hours in because it was such a huge step backwards.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's really a shame.

Things like this are why I try my best to not play sequels before the first game in a series.

If you ever do get a chance, go back to the earlier Wario Land games and give them a try.

I own and beat the first one (so Super Mario Land 3) and liked it, and I do plan on giving Wario Land 3 a try as well since it's still in my backlog. Maybe 2 is just the outlier for me.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

petewhitley posted:

So I'm vacationing in the U.S. (from Japan) and picked up an XL with a handful of games. I was a little disappointed, but expecting, that my Japanese credit card was declined in the U.S. eShop. Is there any workaround to this? The part where I get rejected is the zip code of course. It's limited to 5 digits which of course doesn't jive with my 7 digit zip code. Any good reliable online shops that email codes? I can pick up a card or two right now but I'll inevitably run out before I come back around these parts.

Also, I've got 300 some eShop points and not sure what is a good reward. TwinBee?

You're in a forum full of Americans who'd probably kill for a cheap supplier of Japanese e-shop*/PSN cards. Trade.

*I know the Japanese e-shop can be used with foreign credit cards.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo European XL-owning dudes, your free games have gone live.

I think I've actually managed to delete the email I got with the code (on a loving gmail account to boot; I hardly ever delete anything) and it guess it was removed from trash since it's older that four weeks. Sent an email to Club Nintendo support because you can't even check what/if you ordered or have them resend it but I feel like the biggest idiot.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Mega Man 6 is still the hardest to come by even in Japan, it would make sense to buy that on the VC instead of the others which are pretty abundant as Famicom games. Looking at that sales statistic shows exactly why they've got such a crappy release schedule going on, as soon as they have Mario and Zelda out, nothing else fetches any money anymore (because people are dumb).

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

orenronen posted:

Some really good puzzle games, in particular, but also more complex stuff.

Puzzle Quest (The Puzzle Quest) was released as part of the Simple Series, among others. It's really just a common nomer for games of varying quality/production value.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Dunban posted:

OoT for 20 quid? :getin:

Ah, wait a minute..do you get Club Nintendo Stars when you buy a game digitally? Probably not, right?

I know it's a first party game and all, but Zelda has been less than 30€ in retail for a while now, at least it keeps going on sale in places I see. Shame they couldn't make it a proper offer and slash it by 50% or more, expecially considering that it's only digital.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Anyone happen to know which PAL region generally has the cheapest prices on the 3DS store after conversion? I think I did some tests a while back and it seemed like the euro was the best way to go from New Zealand, but it varied from game to game. I guess it'd vary between countries as well.

Edit: Never mind, pounds is cheaper by a long shot. I don't lose anything by skimming between regions like this, right? Except any cash/points I leave on that region.

Always Pounds, and I'm starting to wonder if I can set my region to UK after the fact, even though I've already bought some things with my region (properly) set to Germany. Knowing Nintendo, I probably can't even change it anymore.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I do wonder what Ubisofts reason for not having their rushed 30% promotion in the EU is.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Dehry posted:

The Monster Hunter demo opens up with a screen saying it is incompatible with the Circle Pad Pro

That is amazing.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

At what time does the EU shop update? I want to play Fire Emblem.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Haha, 60€ for LEGO, good job. Gonna buy it for 20€ from the bargain bin in two months. Also, the Fire Emblem demo isn't up yet, ugh.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

KimT posted:

On the PS3 EU blog I remember a guy saying he always buys digital, and it's worth the extra cost because he doesn't have to keep changing disks. :psyduck:

How do you switch disks often enough for this to be a problem worth throwing money at? I never play more than two games at a time, if that.

Laser Spider posted:

Wait, are they charging more for the digital versions than what you'd pay at retail in Europe?

All digital games (even Steam, outside of sales) are sold for more than retail everywhere around the world because no retailer sticks to MSRP. It's an outdated concept but you are correct, they (claim to) price that way because GameStop would get all angry if they undercut them and refuse to stock their games. Or something. Just keep buying physical/use Steam sales, games have never been cheaper than today even if you're stuck in Europe and the MSRP for a PS3 game is 69.99€.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Umlaut posted:

NFSMWU was actually cheaper in the eShop than on Amazon.de (59,99 € vs 64,99 €). The real problem is that they almost never adjust the price after launch. That may be a good strategy for Call of Duty, but for everything else the prices should be lowered over time.

Don't go to Amazon.de for new releases unless they price match, MediaMarkt/Saturn usually have them for sick low prices during the first weekend. Bioshock Infinite was 30-40€ offline.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Personally I wonder where he lives because every retailer's Wii U/3DS section is absolutely dominated by Nintendo everywhere and I can't imagine it being hard to find a copy of Luigi's Mansion. Just order online next time.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

We call this "running a distraction".

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Just keep buying VC games if you think the price is fair and don't buy them if you don't. I am strongly in the "VC prices are ridiculous" camp so it's the second option for me but these discussions never lead to anything.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Do get Pushmo but find an episode of your favorite TV show to watch or something while you play the first ~30 levels because they're a single, long-rear end, unskippable tutorial and boring as gently caress. Afterwards the game is amazing thoug.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Heh, Mario and Sonic 2012 a year after it came out at full price. Classic. As for Kirby 3, either they will release it as part of some "arcane games of foreign shores far, far away!" promotion at a higher price, or not at all.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Hopefully they'll release Mega Man 6 on the Wii U as well, it's the only Mega Man game I'd consider buying digitally because the original is so drat expensive but I don't want to play it on a handheld. In a perfect world Nintendo would have implemented cross-system play though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I can't believe they haven't released anything for E3 (yet), like a surprise Pikmin 3/Mario&Luigi 4 demo. It's such an easy thing to do and build some hype. That whole Best Buy demo scheme is just absurd, release them on the e-shop and give people a reason to dust off their consoles for once. Also, not everyone lives in the USA!

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 12, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Artix posted:

The point of the Best Buy displays is not to sell consoles to people who already have them. :ssh:

"This game is fun. So if I buy this Wii U I can play this?"
"Yes! In six to nine months"
"...right."

That fact that this is terrible (in my opinion) advertising aside, couldn't they appeal to Wii U owners as well as potential new customers at the same time?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Who cares about Final Fantasy, the biggest EU shame is that there was no Dragon Quest until Dragon Quest loving 8 on the PS2. Amusingly enough we did get Dragon Quest Monsters (and we have Pokémon to thank for that) but only the first one! Because that makes sense. Up to this day, there has not been a release of DQ 1,2 or 3 in Europe, neither the NES games, the SNES remakes or the GBC remakes.

And no Dragon Quest 7 either. If they don't localize the 3DS remake we won't have that, either. Which honestly makes it more mind-boggling that NoE hasn't picked it up yet, considering it basically a brand new game for us.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I've heard that as well, but I am firmly in the camp of "Nintendo has exactly as much bandwidth as it's willing to pay for". If they're not porting it, it's for no other reason than them considering it not profitable enough. However it seems like the company who translated the DS remakes of 4-6 picked it up.

*edit: That company being 8-4.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 19, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

.TakaM posted:

My 3DS crashes if I try to access the new streetpass stuff... :/

Everyone's does, it's Nintendo realizing that they're a ripoff and trying to save face at the last minute.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Mega Man 6 is already on the EU eshop. I think it was released last week along with the rest of them.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Do you mean the GB ones? Because the NES ones are already on the eShop.

Yes he does, that's why he used roman numerals. That's how they're distinguished from one another in the US/EU.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

NA dudes, here are your new Club Nintendo digital rewards:

Mario Golf (3DS VC [GBC]) - 150 Coins
Brain Age Express: Sudoku (DSiWare) - 150 Coins
Wario's Woods (Wii VC [NES]) - 150 Coins
NES Play Action Football (Wii VC [NES]) - 150 Coins

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do

I've got so many (DS) US imports here that I could make an American Club Nintendo account and buy several games, why won't they let me make a US account on my EU 3DS? Dicks.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

I want to get a bulbasaur to sit in front of my tv but Europe hasn't said anything about the figures yet.

You know there's no shortage of Pokémon figurines, especially ones which actually look like the Pokémon they're supposed to resemble? Just buy a toy.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Hahahaha they are insane

Is it even retailing for that much?

69.99€ is the standard retail price for PS3/360 and it makes sense that it would be the standard price Wii U as well. That's exactly how much they charge on PSN/XBL, too.

Obviously anyone who pays 70 European Dollars for a video game is a dumb idiot hell fucker who has too much money, but unfortunately, plenty of people seem to enjoy getting ripped off. Sensible minds order in the UK for 40 GBP or get it on sale (and there's always a sale).

Help Im Alive posted:

European digital prices for retail games are ridiculous on all consoles for some reason. It's been getting a little better but I've seen Ł50–Ł60 on PS3 a lot of times now. It makes no sense, is anyone really buying at that price?

Digital and retail (off-sale) cost the same here, just like in the US. I can tell you exactly how it happened, although I can't explain why: eversince we got the Euro, game pricing was more or less $ = €, which is bullshit but considering prices here in Germany include 19% VAT, it's not that bad ($30+19% tax would come to ~26.80€). However, with the DS, all of a sudden games were $30-35 in the US but 40€ in Germany, and while Xbox 360 games used to be 60€ at first, the PS3 launched and priced their games at 70€ because "Blu-Rays are more expensive." Microsoft saw the new pricepoint and latched onto it, so now we're stuck with $60 games costing 70€ here. As I said, sensible minds order in the UK.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 19, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

The download took less than 15 minutes for me on launch day. v:shobon:v

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Pokébank needed a bailout.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Super Probotector sells for 20€ish cartridge only (like 50€+ boxed) here in Germany so I appreciate that release. Also 60Hz and what not, but I agree, the robots are actually cooler than the Contra guys.

Also: "Cooking Mama 4 - €29.99 / Ł3.59" which of these prices is wrong?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Hah, I missed Mario Bros for loving 5€. That can gently caress right off, what a joke.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

drat, I was hoping that something else would be taking its place. :sigh:

e: (Although between the 3DS and now the WiiU, I already have too many VC games to play)

Honestly it's about drat time it came out. The Wii/3DS/(and now) Wii U VC is the only unaltered release outside the original FDS game and it's ridiculous that it took them almost a year and a half to "port" it from the Wii VC. I wanted to play it on a stationary console in the original difficulty and didn't want to buy anything on the Wii VC because gently caress that noise.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

Preach it. I really thought we were beyond this crap. The worst part is that I can't stop hoping. Why am I kidding myself? I should just get a US 3DS, start importing and kiss my :10bux: goodbye.

If it wasn't for UK prices and websites like Zavvi, importing US games would even be cheaper than buying 3DS games here in Germany. They have the nerve to charge 45€ MSRP for most 3DS games, that's $60. Nevermind the digital download, which bypasses shipping cost. Seriously considering a US 2DS somewhere down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

PAL update (week of January 30):

Some not-terrible 3DS sales, but not much else worth acknowledging.

Didn't the eshop version of VLR "fix" the save bug in the cartridge version? My copy is still shrinkwrapped (never got around to beating 999) and I might just sell it and buy the digital one, earn a few Euros even.