Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So I'm vacationing in the U.S. (from Japan) and picked up an XL with a handful of games. I was a little disappointed, but expecting, that my Japanese credit card was declined in the U.S. eShop. Is there any workaround to this? The part where I get rejected is the zip code of course. It's limited to 5 digits which of course doesn't jive with my 7 digit zip code. Any good reliable online shops that email codes? I can pick up a card or two right now but I'll inevitably run out before I come back around these parts.

Also, I've got 300 some eShop points and not sure what is a good reward. TwinBee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll save that link for later. I've never even ventured into SA Mart but I'll drop in there too at some point to see if anyone is down for some code exchanges.

I did pick up Twinbee as a reward and you're right, the 3D effect is really well done. Are the other 3D classics similarly well made? I'll buy all of 'em just for novelty alone if that's the case.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Since the eShop doesn't accept foreign credit cards, I'm looking for ways to get US eShop funding codes online. The ones I have found are:

thecardcloset.com
pcgamesupply.com
maximuscards.com

The Card Closet has the cheapest at $54 for $50 of credit. That's not bad but are there any cheaper methods?

Set your region to Alberta, Canada and it will accept your credit card. I do this with my Japanese credit card.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

floatman posted:

Does Florida, US accept foreign credit cards? Thanks for the suggestions anyway. If that doesn't work I will try Canada, Alberta.

From what I understand, Alberta Canada is an anomaly in terms of credit card acceptance for whatever reason. I believe the other posters are simply talking about changing their region and buying North American eShop points via a reseller.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there any way to put 3D videos on your 3DS and view them? I just realized there are tons of 3D videos up on YouTube and I'd love to throw a bunch on my 3DS for the commute.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sarchasm posted:

Eh. The problem with this is that a lot of D&D comes down to positioning and spacing, and there's absolutely none of that in Crimson Shroud. It looks like a table-top RPG (and even has an occasional skill check), but that's really where the comparison ends. The actual gameplay just boils down to really bland you-hit-me-I-hit-you JRPG battles.

This is a really important point and I wish some of the reviews had mentioned it. I bought it because of all the hype about it being a table-top RPG in video game form, and was sorely disappointed. I lasted about an hour of gameplay hoping something would change, and it didn't. It's window-dressing on the standard JRPG gameplay, that's all. I think a lot of the reviewers who made these comparisons don't actually have much (if any) experience playing table-top RPGs.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Annath posted:

I guess expectations really do have a bigger role in your experience than you might think.

It's less to do with expectations than preferring one style of game over another.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Shelf Adventure posted:

This really depends on the game. Europeans and Japanese 3dses street pass just fine with animal crossing, nintendogs and Mario 3d land (I think.)

Yeah I have a N.A. 3DS and have Streetpassed Animal Crossing, Resident Evil Boat, Tom Clancy Whatever, and probably a couple more with Japanese 3DS's. Honestly it seems like every game I have supports it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think there's really even any anecdotal evidence over what to do if it's lost or stolen, because for anything to happen you'd have to go buy a new system anyway, then send that system in (or whatever) to get the licences transferred.

In this very thread (albeit eons ago) someone had their 3DS stolen, and had to file a police report, then sent said report to Nintendo, and then after all that Nintendo ended up just giving them a bunch of gift codes equal to the price of the games. Another poster way back when had some difficulties getting the paperwork or something and eventually just gave up. It's a huge hassle, they don't have a sensible or even consistent system in place, and there's definitely precedent for it, you just have to dig pretty deep to find it. Without the system itself there's not even any licenses to transfer. You have to re-buy the games on either Nintendo's dime or your own.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

univbee posted:

Yeah, this is the one thing that annoys me immensely about the 3DS system. Here's what I did to cover my bases:

My eShop account is registered to my Nintendo account (this is apparently required if Nintendo will do anything at all)

- I took a picture of the underside of the 3DS so I have a serial number for it on file
- I don't travel with my 3DS
- I have property insurance that should, in theory, cover the game's expenses if Nintendo is douchey about it (e.g. my insurance covers lost jewelry outside the home, for example)
- I avoid buying digital downloads on 3DS when possible

But yeah, Nintendo really needs to learn what this whole internet thing is.

I agree the system is behind the times and hosed, but this is insane.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

.TakaM posted:

Does it have the spindash or no?

edit-
Yes it does.
I'm really enjoying these 3D sega classics, I was never a sega kid but I'm playing Space Harrier and Super Hang On all the time now

I'm buying all of them just to support the project, but goddamn it does Altered Beast suck rear end. I didn't care for it as a kid, and I actively hate it now. Even the 3D is sub-par; easily the worst of the four games they've put out this far. Granted they had less to work with than even something like Sonic, but man, it's really a poo poo-show and not recommendable in the slightest.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's still a hell of a lot better than Urban Champion, at least.

Actually I kind of prefer Urban Champion to be honest, if only because the 3D effect is pretty cool. On that single street you fight on into infinite perpetuity. They're both steaming piles of dung.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It doesn't really play anything like a real tabletop RPG, it's pretty much just a JRPG with dice rolls.

This can't be stressed enough IMO. I bought it based on the notion that it was a tabletop RPG in video game form, and hated it. It's a JRPG with dice for JRPG fans, plain and simple.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
How many of these are they releasing for "Season 1"? I'm buying them all because they're awesome (well, Altered Beast is the worst thing ever made but I still bought it), and I'm starting to wonder how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Discount Viscount posted:

Eight, and they're currently all out. There is a second series planned.

Cool. Gives us some time to actually play these eight before shelling out for the next set. I hope they never quit.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

romanowski posted:

I chose DKCR and don't have enough space on my SD card :downs:

Yeah this "free" game cost me $20 to upgrade my SD card.

*it was a long time coming to be honest.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there any workaround to get to the reward pages for the select few games that don't have the correct links? 3D Classics Xevious and Brain Age Express: Arts & Language have links that point to the same random default page. Looking around a bit there are a couple of other rewards suffering the same fate. I can't find another way to to find their respective pages, and trying to "hack" the links hasn't worked for me.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

Didn't Bayou Billy have Zapper Gun sections?

IIRC you could control them with the cursor.

And yeah, fuuuuuck Bayou Billy.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
If I haven't started Birthright yet, how long will take me to get to the point where I can buy the DLC?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Awesome, many thanks!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So I figure there's like a 1% chance I might leave my 3DS full of digital purchases on the train some day. Is there any reason at all for me to not finally make a NNIDS? That sad sack baseball dog looks like he could use some help.

Like Hadji, I've got a North American 3DS that I use my Japanese credit card on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Cool beans, thanks!