Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

You still can't buy loving DS games digitally on the 3DS, a system that can run those games natively. At this point I'm not expecting anything from Nintendo until they actually let me buy it.

They worked out something to make Advance Wars: Days of Ruin a DSiWare title in Japan, but right now they're more concerned with trying to correct the WiiU disaster. 3DS is selling fine and 3DS games are coming out on schedule. They just aren't interested in selling their older titles because it would take too much R&D time to make them work. Especially when they can make a new 3DS version of older games and slap a $40 price tag on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RMZXAnarchy posted:

They shouldn't have any licensing issues with their own games, we literally have no clue why they've been dragging their feet with a game the rest of the world has already.

They've already gone a step farther in japan/europe and put out Super Mario Bros Deluxe, which includes both Lost Levels and SMB.

Lost Levels are released though. It's on my 3DS right now.

E: oh, I thought we were complaining about how SMB3 is a month late on the 3DS.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 3, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I would guess that means the US release will be this Thursday or next Thursday to relieve some strain on the servers.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokebank pretty much hosed over the eshop right now. I'm not even able to Download Later, both options give me an error message.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Medium Cool posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Was going to pick up a few of them before I saw soul hackers was on sale. It was bit more than I was planning to spend but I love SMT games. I've added several of these to my wish list though. How often do sales happen? It's know they are pretty frequent on psn but I haven't owned a nintendo system since the ds lite, and before the the game cube, so the eShop is totally new to me

Atlus discounts their games frequently, although we've had a holiday each month for the past few months they've discounted around. Most other games never go on sale, or only price drop after the movie it ties in with leaves theaters.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The eShop press release came out. Nothing worth mentioning aside from the Contra and a Feb 18 release date for AeternoBlade

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Medium Cool posted:

Really glad I held off on Attack of the Friday monsters, 3.99 seems like a great price. Anything else recommended in this sale?

Liberation Maiden is quite fun.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you take Liberation Maiden at face value (anime girl who is President of new Japan uses giant robot to kill bad guys,) it's awesome but short.

The sequel is a Visual Novel on the PS3 though...

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of March 6):

NA update (week of March 6):

As always NOA is hopeless about listing sales/discounts, so if you notice anything that I haven't listed, let us know! (I suspect Denpa Men 2 is probably on sale in NA, too, for example.)

Denpa Men 2 is $8.39
Power Rangers Megaforce $19.99

Tons of cheap cash in titles on sale:
Brunch Panic $2.79
World Conqueror 3D $3.99
Alien Brick Breaker $7.99
Viking Invasion 2 $4.99
Jewel Match 3 $5.99
3D Mahjong $3.99
Funfair party games $6.99
Murder on the Titanic $5.99
Gardenscapes $5.99
3D Game Collection $4.99
Jewel Master: Cradle of Egypt 2 3D $9.95
Secret Agent Files $4.99
Fishdom 2 $3.99
Angry Bunnies(yeah...) $6.99
My Exotic Farm $6.99
My Farm 3D $6.99
Krazy Kangaroo $1.99
SpeedX 3D Hyper Edition $1.99
Monster Shooter $1.99

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lost World 3DS is mediocre at best and requires a ton of Gyro sensor usage after the second world.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The original DS had all the hardware to play GBA games. Since the 3DS is maintaining that backwards compatibility, I wouldn't be surprised if the ambassador games are just using the legacy GBA hardware to run. It would explain why there are no savestates, native resolution, or menu access.

E: Also, they are experimenting with making DSi Ware downloadable versions of DS games if the Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Japanese Club Nintendo reward is anything to go by

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 26, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's always the "Call Nintendo" option. They're actually quite good about transferring licenses, although since there are no Wii cloud saves like on Xbox or Playstation, all progress is lost.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

(as always, I'm sure there are sales/discounts that NOA didn't bother to list, so post 'em if you see 'em)

3DS Eshop

25% off Shinen games. Art of Balance Touch, Nano Assault, Jett Rocket II

Edge $1.99
Urban Trial Freestyle $4.99

I posted a large list of crappy games on sale through the 6th, those are still on sale.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/14/nintendo-cutting-price-five-nintendo-3ds-games-north-america/

Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and New Super Mario Bros. 2 are now all $29.99 on the eshop permanently

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Brasseye posted:

The double price mario golf on EU estore and lack of rune factory and SMT 4 make me very annoyed. I can only hope that some day someone will find a way around the blasted region lock.

The best you have is a flashcart that gets around it and even allows you to play eShop only games, but only if you have early firmware and you're limited to 3DS and early 3DSXL models.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

The PR guy for Atlus said there were some "problems" that he could not diverge to the public. Legal difficulties, perhaps?

I think the easy version is old index went bankrupt just after making a deal with a European publisher and Sega Dream/new index/Atlus is in a legal battle with said publisher. NDAs make it impossible for them to say anything.

People think this is one company, but index ceased to exist late last year and Sega bought out the SMT/Atlus IP and renamed their new company to index, then spun off Atlus into a new company in April. Conception II was able to come out so quickly because it's Spike Chunsoft's IP and not wrapped up in stupid legal bullshit.

SMT IV isn't the only thing missing from the SMT roster either. Persona 2 Eternal Punishment for the PSP was cancelled at the same time and index digital media (now Atlus USA) released the original Playstation version as a replacement.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sir Gladu posted:

There's a demo, and you should try it before you pay because weird animeness aside, it looks like a mediocre RPG :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_yojJEGtiQI#t=1812

It's one of two games to come out this year trying to cash in on Persona (the other one being Mind=Zero on Vita.) The 3DS version runs slower and even the character portraits look pixelated on the XL. This one has the advantage of Atlus USA slapping the Atlus logo on it, making it appear to be a quality product.

Conception II just took an anime dating sim and put it on top of a generic rpg dungeon system. The dungeon floors themselves are closer to Tartarus in Persona 3. They all have a very similar design and the music rarely changes. The only time I saw any differentiation in dungeons was the Sloth dungeon, where they just left walls out so it looked incomplete to fit with the "7 deadly sins" theme. While the battle system seems interesting, the directional gimmick gets pretty boring and once I unlocked an attack all enemies ability, I used it exclusively.

On the dating sim side of things, you date anime girls fitting into all the tropes and halfway through they then have a major plot twist you help them get over. The game tries to mimic Persona by limiting you to 3 events between dungeons, but a rest option exists in the character's dorm room that resets the counter. You do reach points the story will not progress unless you Classmate (make star babies) or complete a dungeon, but you can tell because the game starts repeating the same event over and over.

Classmating is what kills the game though. The process itself is pretty harmless (just holding hands) but they show a naked glowing anime girl writhing which pretty much makes it an instant drop for most people. You later unlock a thing called ClassMANting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUbWrfbbWvA:nws: if you're curious.

But even if you are interested in it, just wait for an Atlus sale. They put their games and DLC on sale regularly.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly they fixed Hometown Story for the EU release. It appears they're doubling down on the series and put out an iOS version called Hometown Story:Pocket

http://ceecee-natsume.tumblr.com/post/87598077752/state-of-the-farm-june-e3-edition

Also something about 3 new Nintendo games, but who cares about that?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Noon Eastern/9am Pacific

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Conception II got a :10bux: price drop alongside the Vita version because of the Sony Flash Sale this week. Not sure about DLC, but the Monokuma one is free.

E: Game is 29.99 and all DLC seems to have been dropped $.50 to $2, with eshop prices adjusted for tax.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 4, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

Wait, am I reading that right? Conception 2 is already marked down to loving $15? :psyduck:

Either you buy the Atlus game at launch for full price and all the extras, or you wait a month and it's half off. Code of Princess, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers, and Etrian Odyssey have all followed the pattern.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Too little, far too late.

Honestly, until Atlus have their poo poo together, I'm sort of hesitant to give any game they directly publish any sort of attention and frankly speaking if that's "never" then so be it.

Atlus has only existed as its own company since April. It was just a brand of the now defunct Index Corporation prior to that. In these couple of months, they've taken back publishing rights from several European publishers and released a ton of their back catalog on PSN. SMT IV Europe just came right when Index died and Sega Dream/New Index took over. That was lost in all the mess. Just look at how quickly they got Conception II out in Europe. It's going to get better I think.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 11, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The difference between Pushmo and Crashmo is that in Crashmo the puzzle pieces fall if they aren't supported and can be moved in multiple directions. They're both fun, but I do remember several puzzles that I had to just set the game down and do something else before I could see the solution.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Only buy the armor if you think it looks cool. I've been rocking the Demonica you can buy from a late game shop but occasionally flipping it for Freedom Armor. You'll need the money DLC to be able to afford the last two shops.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gotta go with Overclocked too.You get the anime story that can ease you into Persona and that Atlus bullshit you get in the mainline SMT series. It's also a must have if you enjoy Fire Emblem.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Conception II will probably join the sale at some point. It just went $29.99 on a Vita Atlus sale. It will probably be the same on 3DS soon enough. They matched the last one and even made it a little cheaper since 3DS charges tax.

It's not Persona. It's a dating sim mashed with a generic RPG. It suffers from some slowdown on the 3DS but other than that the game is the same. The green hair girl(Ellie) and monokuma girl(Torri) are the least creepy paths. The worst you get in those is the mandatory swimming pool FMV featuring all the heroines. That's not to say the other stories are cheap or generic, but the other ones at some point have nudity.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shelf Adventure posted:

Or you could play something which you don't have to settle for working out how to be the least creepy.

I own a Vita, you pretty much have to map out the path of least creepiness to enjoy any mainstream release.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

aren't you the one who bought this on both the vita and 3ds?

Yeah, and I always forget I have the game on both systems. I probably shouldn't have bought it twice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll get back to my two copies of Rorona+

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even better, the sales clerk was a girl.

The 3DS version was a drunk purchase. I make jokes about it, but the money would have been better spent on something else.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Pokemon Company handles everything Pokemon not related to the games and they seem to be more open to Android/iOS apps

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MykonosFan posted:

Please don't bother. I got it for $15 USD last week and have had no motivation to play it. I haven't even beat the first world. I'm speaking as someone who played through Heroes, Shadow, and even 100%'d Sonic 06. Do yourself a favor and get good games instead

If you do manage to get beyond the first world, you're stuck in gyroscope hell alongside silly gimmicks that pretty much wiped out all the progress the series had made since the console Colors/Generations (Both are pretty much Sonic Rush on the 3DS)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

Is Hometown Story any good? It seems chill enough to be worth a look.

Short answer: No

Long Answer: Nooooooo, but supposedly the EU version (the one that will actually be on sale since Natsumi published in North America) fixed a few pacing issues in the US/JP versions.

(NA version impressions) You are just told "grandma died, run this store." There's a whole town to explore but you can't close your shop and kind of explore at your own risk. I got bored after the 3rd day in game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

That's a shame. I kind of enjoyed the trailer narration by the Stanley Parable guy. He really was being sarcastic, I guess.

I really wanted it to be good. Of course when "The girl who made Pikachu made the characers" is your marketing strategy, it can't be all that good. They even stripped out the RPG and just made an iOS version with just the store elements.

E: Strangely the iOS version has 4.5 stars vs 2 or 3 stars for the 3DS version.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's the only game in recent memory where I tried over 200 times to finish a level and didn't want to stop. Hopefully they make another game or Natsume will bring over the DS version.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

That's hosed up, Nintendo, have a little pride.

It's on sale to promote the sequel coming to a competing console. I'd love to the the press release for something like that.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

nice, I was hoping this would happen

however the eshop appears to be having bandwidth trouble.... and spooky music

Pokemon and smash brothers 1.0.3 patches are out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I'm guessing that Fantasy Life came out in USA and it's not a bad game?

What are the main fun things about it?

It's a fairly standard rpg world with a lot of charm. You chose a profession and then complete challenges to raise the skill level in that job. You can decorate your house, craft items, and explore dungeons (required to unlock other areas)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MykonosFan posted:

I'm guessing with this in mind it's impossible to do Card Pop? It'd be nice to get every card in the game but I'm thinking it's impossible without that feature.

The Gameboy emulator doesn't have any sort of connectivity and in some cases options to use the link cable are dummied out before the game is released.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

US dudes, Natsume's sale prices are up: Yumi's Odd Odyssey, Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns, Hometown Story, Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove and Reel Fishing Paradise are $10 each until December 1.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey is worth :10bux:
Hometown Story is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ireladd posted:

Hey guys,

Persona Q is the first RPG I've really played since Chrono Trigger, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. I see all these Atlus games listed on sale at the eShop and I'm wondering if there's an opinion on which of the below I should dive into next? Or even which of the Devil Survivors and Etrian Odysseys is the best?

Thanks for any input!

I played more of EO Untold than IV. The story and voiced characters helped me along through the game. That being said I have yet to finish an EO game or PQ because I got bored of the mapping at some point.

Devil Survivor is an SRPG and probably better for people who played and liked Fire Emblem. There's a lot of endings so it's replayable too.

SMTIV is a modern RPG with enemies represented on the map. Soul Hackers is a 90s RPG that does show its age at points. Encounters are random like in EO.

Conception II is worth no more than :10bux:. It's a Visual Novel with a tacked on generic chosen one story and bland RPG dungeon. The Vita version has better graphical quality anyways.