Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Man, I was looking forward to that Pac-Man collection, especially in a portable digital format. Guess I'll hang on to my copy of "Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions" for 3DS after all.

The best thing that could come out of this is that they just release a Wii U version of "Pac-Man Vs." instead. Come on Nintendo, exploit that close working relationship with Namco a bit!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

.TakaM posted:

Now's as good a time as any to share a video going over the differences in all the Super Mario World versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRbrCXL4lv8
Whoa, they changed Luigi in the All-Stars combo version of SMW?! My mind is blown. :aaaaa: Always assumed the GBA port was the first time they changed anything.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Do the Pokemon download codes from that North American promotion expire any time soon? The only time limit is for actually registering the 3DS XL system and the qualifying game, right? Wanna make sure before I register and try to sell the code.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They expire April 30th, so you still have a month after the promotion ends.
Ah okay, guess I'd better get moving then. Thanks!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hey, Club Nintendo rewards are up.

3D Classics Kirby's Adventure
Brain Age Express Arts and Letters

Mario Kart 64
Super Metroid

is Kirby's Adventure a good port?
Ooh, nice. I've never actually played Kirby's Adventure, but I had purchased the Wii Kirby collection shortly before I got my 3DS. I was hesitant to spend money on it again, but as a Club Nintendo reward I'll probably go for it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Man, SNES ports of Street Fighter games are the silliest thing to get on the VC, unless you really need to justify a custom-modded Wii U arcade stick I guess.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there any "official" statement regarding downtime on the Club Nintendo site? I have 3 surveys that expire tomorrow, and I'm wondering if I should keep trying to get them through or just wait til a particular time later today.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm interested in that Smash Soundtrack promotion. Is there any deadline for when you have to register the 3DS version of Smash? I'll probably be getting it, but not day one.

(http://club2.nintendo.com/smash-promo/, for reference)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The pre-order deal for Mario Kart 8 DLC is still running, right? Where you get the extra colors for Yoshi and Shy Guy? I wanna jump on that before I forget, since I'll definitely be getting that content.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kurtofan posted:

Is it a preorder deal? I thought the deal was everlasting.
I think the discount deal is everlasting (where you buy both DLC packs together), but the extra colors are for pre-ordering. Could be wrong though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

jivjov posted:

If I redeem a Club Nintendo code for Kirby's Dream Land 3, will I get Deluxe promo credit for the full purchase price, or just the $1.50 upgrade price, since I have that one on Wii?
Either way, wouldn't you want to hold on to those hard-earned Nintendo points since you're only getting a $1.50 value out of it?
EDIT: oh right, the DDP. And that's going away soon. Carry on. Good question!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's the deal with GameBoy Tetris on the eShop again? Is it getting pulled tomorrow, or was that only for a specific region?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are so many missed opportunities on the 3ds. Any older fps, basically, older racing games, anything polygon based, can you imagine something like Descent on 3ds?

There are a lot of good opportunities that devs either are ignoring or are unaware of. This is why I really hope the homebrew scene takes off someday on 3ds, I want to see what awesome stuff gets ported to 3d.

Absolutely. Doom really holds up, and would be amazing with 3D. It even has sprite-based enemies (assuming PC version rather than Doom 64) so I can't imagine it would be too hard from a technical standpoint.

Personally I'm also baffled as to why there haven't been more entries in the "3D Classics" line. Like, I got my 3DS relatively late, and just assumed I could buy a 3D version of Super Mario Bros. but nope.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Doom is the 3DS game I didn't realize I wanted until just now and I'm kinda shocked it hasn't happened. There was a point in time where it was being ported to everything up to and including a printer, but I guess they stopped at some point?
I am unironically longing to be huddled over my 3DS with headphones in a dark room, blasting imps in 3D corridors. Same exact 1994 graphics too; just frame it in widescreen and it would look perfect on a tiny 3D display. Make it happen. Somebody. :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Funny, I had just been thinking about how I have a bunch of 3DS game boxes still sitting at my parents' house, and how I would need to go over and get them the next time I needed Club Nintendo coins for something. Guess it's time to go ahead and register everything now that I have no reason to sit on these!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ooh I'll join the party. I've never played Monster Hunter myself so hope someone enjoys these!

A074P0D920WBA3RL
A070BYBM2413BD1L

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just downloaded Steel Diver and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball on my 3DS... already had Pokemon Bank... any other freebies I'm missing that hand out Club Nintendo coins (U.S. region)? And I forget, are there any games/apps like that on the Wii U eShop?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does DLC for 3DS titles give you Club Nintendo coins? I'm petty sure Wii U DLC does. Particularly, I'm wondering about the coin rush DLC in NSMB2 and various songs in Theatrhythm Curtain Call. I wasn't in a rush, but I might as well buy stuff a little ahead of schedule if it'll get me some extra coins before the program's dead.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Do redeemed games still churn out their own reward coins? Or are they treating these like new releases now?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Man, I was going through some of my old DS game cases at my parents' house to see if there were any CN codes I left behind, and it's crazy how much paper they used to stuff in those things. Full game manual, that safety pamphlet, sometimes an ad for other games, Nintendo Power offer, the 3-4 page thing that actually had the CN code on it, and that ridiculous Nintendo Wi-Fi connection booklet that was like 30 pages. Now we either get a single slip of paper or nothing.

I can certainly understand getting rid of all that crap... I miss color paper manuals though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Woohoo, the last round of post-play surveys from my old unregistered games have pushed me over platinum. Now to decide if I want a shirt or a handful of games. Shirt's tempting me because it's a slick, clean design, without some obnoxious "Kick it old school!" text splashed over it (which I'd expect to find on the nearest Hot Topic equivalent).

EDIT: I'm looking up coin values here, but it looks like only the registration surveys are being accounted for. Is there anywhere that lists the value for post-play surveys, or is that a fairly standardized thing (like X amount for any retail games, Y coins for VC games, etc)?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 12, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Saoshyant posted:

God knows how it ever got there in the first place. And it managed to sell a bunch going by its creator. Logic is something that does not exist in this brave new world.

At least now people can't say, "hey, memerun is there, let my stickman unity demo get in!"
Are the games that appear in your plaza based on sales? Because I saw Meme Run up there a lot. Glad that piece of garbage is getting the axe.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did the 3DS version of Mighty Switch Force 1 get some extra free content after the Wii U version came out? Or was it the other way around? Or did they both get stuff and now they're even?

Meanwhile, the Wii U version of 2 was basically a slapdash port of the 3DS version, right?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ah thanks. I've already got MSF1 on Wii U, and MSF2 on 3DS, so sounds like I'm pretty well covered!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Oooh, good timing on that Paper Mario announcement. Just beat Mario RPG on SNES, and I had always intended to follow it up with my old CN reward of Paper Mario. I'll gladly upgrade that for $2.

Torn on my Plat reward. I've been itching to play Tropical Freeze, but I'd need to buy a hard drive to get that. Then again it's probably in my best interests to do that at some point, since I'm bound to run out of space eventually. Even if I keep avoiding retail downloads, it's only a matter of time before all the patches, eShop titles, and VC games push me to capacity. The alternative is Mario Golf for 3DS, which I've always heard great things about and probably works well as an always-available portable title, but isn't especially urgent on the list of things I wanna play.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Oh, nice sale. Getting Lost Levels to complete my portable collection of NES Marios.
I played through that one on SNES Mario All Stars a long time ago... I can only assume it's even more brutal in the original format. :getin: Thank you state saves.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I wish Premium Plaza would let you hold more streepasses at the gate. The games are all designed around the 10-Mii limit though, so I suppose it'd be hard to figure that out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did the Mighty Switch Force home theme actually come out? Haven't seen it anywhere in the theme shop.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ha, figures I used my whole coin stash on the t-shirt already. C'est la vie I guess.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It still strikes me as funny that Nintendo was the first company to release an HDMI-only console. The last company to use cartridges; notoriously behind the times when it comes to online features.

Also the first to require (for 5.1 sound) a fancy receiver capable of accepting uncompressed surround audio channels, but I believe that's just because they didn't want to pay the fees for Dolby sound formats.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ChaosArgate posted:

...What? Are you talking about the Wii U? Because there's analog AV out on it. I needed to use it for a few months because I have my systems connected to a 1440p monitor that doesn't have audio out, so I needed to wire audio out from that port to my speakers.
Ah, I should have said "out of the box".

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I live in a rather spacious apartment but I had a hell of a time convincing my wife that I should keep an old CRT setup out in the open. Ideally I'd have a second but one must learn to choose battles carefully.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has anybody here played Bombing Bastards? I could go for a Bomberman knock-off if it's decent enough, since apparently the real IP is tied up in some type of licensing limbo now.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has anyone actually played Bombing Bastards? I could go for a good Bomberman clone if it's good, since the real deal is apparently finished or in some sort of licensing limbo.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Augus posted:

Link's Awakening is great but it isn't perfect. It has some stupid poo poo in it like having to read text every time you get near a rock without equipping the power bracelet, or having to climb up a mountain again because you made a wrong turn into a hole in the ground that flushes you down to the bottom, or one-way paus in dungeons that force you to take roundabout routes just to get back where you were (the final dungeon kinda sucks). It has a unique atmosphere though that makes the game really memorable

Oracle of Seasons and Ages are probably the most solidly-designed Zelda games overall, in terms of pure gameplay. They're a lot of fun to play
I recently played through Ages for the first time. I enjoyed it overall but some of the stuff between dungeons annoyed me. Like they shouldn't give you such an open-ended approach to things, but then bottleneck your progress through events that trigger when you revisit an arbitrary part of the map. And speaking of the map, TWO fairly large world maps is too much to deal with in a portable game IMO. I think a more focused scope would've worked better. Maybe it's my own fault for playing the game on-and-off over a long period of time.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ddogflex posted:

You people are loving insane paying cash money for loving folder icons.
It's certainly no more outrageous than premium themes, or like, avatar clothing on Xbox 360. I can understand not seeing the value, but this type of thing certainly isn't new or unique to this badge game.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Would an eShop receipt for Mario Maker still qualify you for a free copy of that physical booklet? Not sure how limited of a deal that was supposed to be.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

In Training posted:

The puzzle pieces in Tropical Freeze are the most annoying platform collectibles I've seen since they're always just in random spots so you have to check everything if you want to get them all (which I did for the first game but not for the Wii U one)
Once I caught on to this I just started using Squawx without shame. It made it actually fun to go back for the puzzle pieces, and it's not like it sucked the challenge out of the game as a whole.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Amppelix posted:

It is? I only got Super Metroid and LttP and they both seem fine. Never saw any unexpected behavior or anything.

But the N64 emulation though, that is proper hosed. It's way too dark for seemingly no reason (and when you take screenshots they show up with the proper colorization??? :psyduck:) and of course there's the good ol' PAL issues. So I guess they did give up on the quality at some point.
I wonder if n64 emulation has some weird property where it looks worse on modern TVs the more "accurate" it is, and Nintendo went for accuracy over usability for some dumb reason. Like there were some arcade ROMs on MAME that were tweaked a bit (i.e. made less accurate) to perform better on current PCs, but then had the optimization hacks removed (more accurate, less usable) in later releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to mention this here because I didn't know about it, and maybe some of you don't either. Apparently they did a PC port of the three Castlevania games, Contra and Super contra for the NES onto the PC - I had no idea this existed until late last week. It's still fairly available second-hand, but it's not cheap. I just wanted to mention it in case anyone, like me, didn't know about it and might be interested.
Back when the Commodore Amiga was the only video game machine in my house, I had the port of TMNT from NES. It was obviously coded independently from the NES version (as most ports were those days). As such it reflected the strengths and weaknesses of the platform it was on. In this case, awkward 1-button controls, but a vastly increased color palate and music that took advantage of the Amiga's hardware.

Anyway I recall a pamphlet included in TMNT that advertised the Amiga/MS-DOS versions of the Contra/Castlevania games you mentioned, along with Blades of Steel. I have no firsthand experience of them to offer but - thanks for reminding me!