Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Aeroporter looks interesting, but not the spiritual sequel to Aerobiz and Aerobiz 2 that I hope for every time I see a new airplane sim :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

That interview is interesting, it explains a little bit why the Nintendo indie scene is really its redeeming quality.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Original game boy link cable sounds pretty touchy as well, it apparently ran at an absurdly low bitrate and is probably extremely sensitive to timing. It'd likely be utter hell to emulate wirelessly.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

You can get Balloon Fight now if you go to the Miiverse page for it and click on the drop down next to "favorite".

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
Funky Barn - ?

Oh man, it looks like they finally brought the funk

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Spacebump posted:

So Balloon Fight on the Wii U is 36 mb and 30 cents. Both of these facts are surprises I wouldn't have guessed a week ago.

If 35MB of that is controller mapping I am perfectly fine with this. :colbert:

Then again I'm also a crazy that bought at 2TB hard drive just for my U. That causes my U to randomly tell me was disconnected and I have to unplug it to get it to turn back on :argh:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The only good external hard drive is an internal hard drive you put in a known good external enclosure (and if it's 3.5", it's not good unless it has a fan on it).

Actually if you don't give a crap about warranties - and since they only get you back your storage, not your data, I'm not all too sure you should - you might be able to pop it out of its enclosure and drop it in one that doesn't suck. Unless it's a Western Digital 2.5" external, because those shitlords use a controller board with a USB port and no SATA port.

Although if you do this, uh, SUPER back up your stuff.

What's annoying is it's painfully obvious it's just the external spinning down, and instead of the U freaking out it should, oh I don't know, try to spin up the drive again?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah problem is, I think when you have big hard drives (1TB or bigger) a lot of them have the power down when idle routine. This is one that runs off it's own power supply right?

I think you might have to ditch that and go for one that runs power off the USB.

Yeah it has its own power supply. I got one like that hoping for stability :argh:

For now I just really hope Nintendo knows about it and plans on fixing it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

If you hook a Wii up to a CRT television it's almost exactly like playing with a real NES is why.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

This looks great, but even with the effort that's clearly been put into it and the nostalgia attached, $15 seems a lot to ask in 2013 for a single-player game with only around half an hour of actual gameplay content. YMMV, of course.

This may be a "long play" but they're still really good at the game and know the optimal paths.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Shelf Adventure posted:

Prepaid eshop cards in Japan look to come with new AR cards. There's one for Peach (¥3000), Mario (¥2000) and a Goomba (¥1000).

Dang they need to release those here. They know I'll buy them all then sit around with a dangerously large wallet burning a hole in my eShop!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Revol posted:

That's really disappointing, Nintendo.

I can't even be mad about the prices when there's nothing to buy :cry:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Jesus loving Christ why did I even bother buying a 3DS.

Oh no a game you don't want to play was released what ever will you do :ohdear:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

At least something came out for the Wii U Virtual Console, right? :dawkins101:

I guess Emily was making poo poo up now that there's some VC games that the Wii U and 3DS have in common and there's no transfer fee or whatever.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Nick at Nite posted:

Who on earth is looking to drop $5 on Pac-Man?

Meanwhile, in Japan, they're getting three more Kirby games this week. I feel like their virtual console strategy is designed to make me feel like it's the early 90s again, with Japan getting everything nine months earlier and half of it never coming here at all.

"The Virtual Console didn't do as well as we expected," said the company that repeatedly launched small quantities of mediocre games for it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

I hope you aren't saying Pac-Man is a mediocre game?

The NES version is.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I hope this means the Wii U will get SMRPG sooner rather than later.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xevious and Solomon's Key, hot drat they're really coming out swingin' with the Virtual Console!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Had to look up PAL vs NTSC metroid, it looks mostly the same but is obviously slower for the cutscenes and such when put next to the NTSC one. Bonus "I don't even French and I can tell that's a very terse summary" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Okm8dF55DI

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Astro7x posted:

What exactly were the difference between Oracle of Ages and Seasons? I always assumed it was like Pokemon where they were fairly similar.

They're completely different games with different dungeons and everything.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I've played every Zelda game. Link's Awakening is my least favorite of all of them besides the first two.

How is it possible to have such objectively wrong opinions :psyduck:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I was annoyed by the wifi performance and got a wired adapter but to be honest it's not a whole lot better, but it won't slow down if someone turns off the microwave at least. Their network really just isn't very good.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I always play as Toad, so SMB2 doesn't feel floaty to me at all.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Artix posted:

You know what, for as bad as the VC launch was, if they keep up this thing where they do a themed week with a deal and then a standalone release or two between them (sometimes with their own deal, a la SMB2), I think the Wii U VC is going to be alright.

Yeah same, I was really worried after Week 2 but if they keep doing these theme/discount releases and such this may not be so bad.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Remember that the 3DS didn't even launch with its eShop and now it's looking pretty ok. The WiiU VC will be fine, given time.

Well, the 3DS vc is still terrible, and the Wii vc is terrible, so I wasn't really hoping too hard.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't wait for the Miiverse to prove Sequelitis wrong about how the intro stage teaches even a blithering idiot the mechanics of the game without spelling them out.

y cant mega man crawl?

Or shoot up, for that matter.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Emong posted:

Are there any really good 3DS RPGs up on the eShop? I've been poking around but I'm not sure if anything on there is actually worth buying.

Soul Hackers, Etrian Odyssey IV, and if trpgs are your thing, Fire Emblem: Awakening. These are retail price titles; there aren't really any like $10 download RPGs or whatever.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'd like to defend Persona Q but I haven't even come close to finishing it, though I like that it's a Persona game with SMT style battles including the requisite good old fashioned gently caress-hard dungeon resource management, also filling out the floor maps and hammering out automatic routing through floors is weirdly fun. The story is goofy fanfiction level poo poo but I wasn't really expecting anything more. You'll definitely get $10-20 worth of entertainment out of it if you like Persona 3/4 and hard first-person RPGs at all, and if you're like me and tend to not like first person RPGs because they're awkward and inaccessible, the aforementioned mapping system brings out what I like about FPRPGs and buries what I don't like.

I think I died to some bullshit after like an hour plus playing session, ragequit, and haven't been back. Game's still good though :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Both Etrian games are great and worth playing. If you already have EO4 then go for it and get EOU. If you have neither but can only get one, then get EO4. (caveat: if you have neither but you want a higher level of characterization and story, then get EOU and play Story Mode)

I generally have a low tolerance for anime but love Persona 3/4, though I consider Disgaea a secret plot by the FBI to build a pedo watch list. I love Bravely Default but the Bravely Second demo made me want to drive a spike through my skull due to how loving anime it is. That said, do you think I would find EO tolerable or enjoyable?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol. Wait a minute. Are you not counting the PS One or PS2 classics line? Or even some of the PSP line being available on Vita? Not stellar but hardly nonexistent. They both could stand to implement their support better, however.

There's like 5 PS2 games and 0 PSOne games on the PS4 unless you count Final Fantasy VII: For PC: For PS4 which I don't. Putting out a PS1 emulator on the PS4 should take a Sony intern an afternoon*, they're loving sitting on it thinking of an excuse to charge everyone to download the games they already bought yet again. gently caress Sony. I don't have enough HDMI ports to keep my PS3 connected all the time :rant:

* I know there's actually more work involved than this, QA, etc. before anyone goons out so for anyone who gets easily offended by hyperbole, pretend I said they easily have the resources to put PSOne games on the PS4 at what is to them a low cost especially now it's been out over two goddamned years.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 25, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

I have a folder on my Wii u with Mario 1, 2, 3, World, World 2, 64, Galaxy and I always have Mario maker in the disc slot.

I wish they'd put the SNES version of Yoshi's Island on the VC, the GBA one just isn't the same :(

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah the original Star Fox is something I would LOVE to have on the Wii U but I've only even seen it emulated accurately very recently and with the high-accuracy high-cpu usage emulators, which is why I'm sure they haven't done it yet. I love the original Star Fox so much; when I got out my old SNES recently I had the most fun playing that by far.

While it's playable on some of the older emulators, it's not correct. A lot of the timings are off; things like the intro sequence run way too fast.

I'd also love a remake that makes the game HD, run at 60 FPS, and maybe adds some smoothing effects but otherwise keeps the polygon count roughly the same, but I seem to be relatively alone in my love for the original's abstract and imaginative low-poly style, and a remake would probably just gently caress it up with a bunch of bullshit and terrible slippy voice acting :(

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 13, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Target is doing buy one, get one 10% off currency cards until the 18th, in-store only

-Best Buy is doing buy one, get one 20% off currency cards from the 19th to the 25th

There's some serious must-haves on that list if you don't already have them, and you can stack with this sale~

Maybe I can finally get Splatoon, now that I have a job and it's on sale.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

elf help book posted:

My Nintendo has some extra things for E3. There's a "Sheikah Slate", "Sheikah Eye" and "Z icon" on e3.nintendo.com and clicking on each of them gets you 30 platinum coins each. And there's a secret bonus where if you click on the mii sticking out of the treehouse on the Games page, you get 10 more.

Am I a huge dumbass? I found the slate (one of the news items near the bottom) and hidden bonus but not the eye or the Z icon.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The Z is on the Zelda trailer if you click "Videos" at the top, took me a while too.

The Eye is specifically on the Zelda game page, not just anywhere.

Aha! The code for it is on all the pages; I was wondering why I couldn't see it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

They hid that Z good, a visual hint:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The best thing Nintendo could announce at E3 would be Miitomo not crashing on launch on Android N, have they announced that yet? :rant:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

enojy posted:

TLoZ picross is cool and good if you like picross. It's kinda the same thing as Pokémon picross, just less puzzles and less fleshed out. Well worth the zero dollars.

Yeah I'd be mad if I paid for it as I breezed through it in a few hours, but as a free thing it's amazing and I love it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm probably going to get splatoon here soon, though I wonder if I'll be disoriented at all from playing overwatch hours a day :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd actually expect a sequel rather than a port, just so they have a nice clean build optimized for the NX going forward that's easier to add new different content into and doesn't become a shambling zombie of slapped-on makeshift patching workarounds.

They might be wise to have Splatoon NX be a launch title and have it a thing you can play with people still on the Wii U, but the NX version has a bunch of cool extras and exclusives that makes the U players want to get an NX. This way they don't fracture the userbase AND they advertise to it.

I mean if Square Enix of all loving companies can make an MMO work cross-platform on ps3, ps4, and pc, Nintendo can figure out how to do a shootsquids on U and NX.