Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Pick your system of choice: Awakening on 3DS, 7 on Wii U, Path of Radiance if you're willing to emulate.

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

less laughter posted:

Start with Advance Wars on the Wii U VC instead, it has similar gameplay but better.

No no no no. Advance Wars is built around the idea of disposable units and essentially gives you a fresh slate for every map. Fire Emblem gives you unique units and your progress carries over from map to map, potentially making things significantly more difficult if your main units get killed or you forget to restock weapons. Like, if you like it better? Fine. But FE and AW require a completely different style of strategy.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

wall monitor posted:

Hey, someone sell me on Persona Q. I like roguelikes, I like Persona 4, will I like this game?

It's like Persona, but all of the characters are written down to their most basic traits (Teddie is a massive perv 100% of the time, Akihiko can't shut up about protein and training, etc). It's also like Etrian Odyssey, except the FOE puzzles are really bad and the game balance is totally hosed because even deep into the fourth dungeon (out of five), enemies are still weak to one or the other form of instant death.

(Buy Persona 4 Golden or Etrian Odyssey 4 instead)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There is in fact no way to do it other than that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Healbot posted:

Financed and published by Nintendo.

But more importantly Square owns everything that is not explicitly Mario in it. Which is why they have final say any time Nintendo wants to re-release it (ie Virtual Console).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't see why not. Just needs a converter to turn their stats into modern versions of the same pokemon.

It's not quite that easy. Stat experience and IVs run on a completely different system (and that's before we even get into them not having a Special Defense IV at all because the stat didn't exist yet), and gender, nature, and ability will have to be more or less randomized. For casual play there's nothing wrong with that, but it's pretty easy to see how getting the wrong ability or gender might totally ruin a pokemon you intended to use for breeding or something.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Help Im Alive posted:

Persona Q had a pretty ok soundtrack at least (I think?) I guess I only remember a couple of songs - I like playing the opening theme in Dancing All Night

PQ's soundtrack is pretty amazing, yeah. The opening theme is great, the battle themes are fantastic (both versions, but P3's is better imo), and even the boss theme indulges in some unnecessary Lotus Juice. Probably the only thing PQ genuinely does well.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, that kinda sucks but their games were never very good so it's hard to be too broken up over that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

greatn posted:

I really enjoyed both Mutant Mudds games. What 3D games did they even ever make?

Both Dementiums and Moon (and the 3DS remakes), none of which were particularly interesting. And I think they might have made some ATV game at some point?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sarchasm posted:

How feasible is it to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the gamepad alone? Does it do any weird dual-screen stuff that I'd be missing out on?

You literally can't. It's still totally worth playing, but you must have a TV for it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I hope we get an updated version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the Switch. It was an amazing game that was held back by dumb design/technical issues.

I'm not sure what it was that broke me. The noticeable delay whenever you opened the menu (which you needed to do a lot), having to run down a long rear end corridor every time you wanted to switch/create weapons for your mirage, or having to look at the same stupid animation every time you forged a new weapon.

That game loved to waste your time.

You...you do realize you could skip all of the Unity animations, right? It's just like fusing a demon in any SMT game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also, did they patch the game so that it actually supports the Pro controller?

Yes, patch drops on the 16th.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can do both! That's the magic of the Switch, it's super easy to maintain multiple accounts.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
JSaB is a really good musical bullet hell that feels like someone took Super Hexagon and stretched it into a 6 hour game (and I mean that in a good way but ymmv). If you just want the story mode you can blitz through it in about 5-ish hours depending on your skill level and whether or not you make use of casual mode, but afterwards you unlock challenge mode which gives you 3 songs back to back to clear and is probably *intended* to be played with friends but you can totally do it by yourself if you want. It does have online with both friends and randos though if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yes and no? You get three hits per life (six with casual mode turned on) and the hitboxes are generally pretty forgiving, plus as long as you touch someone before they drift off-screen you can bring them back (otherwise they come back at the next checkpoint). The game doesn't really care *who* clears a section as long as *someone* clears it, but at the end of the day it still asks you to dodge a bunch of bullet patterns and you'll need folks who are patient enough for that.