Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Katana Gomai posted:

I made a big effort post on this in the Wii U thread, but basically there are two things wrong about the way it's presented in the media:

a) The law states the appropriate time window is 11pm-6am so Nintendo needlessly cut it further for no apparent reason.

b) The law also states that you can fulfill it by either making 18+ content available only during the aforementioned timeframe or using "technological or other means" to make it "impossible or reasonably hard" for kids to access this. Basically, any form of verification would do and it doesn't have to be 100%.

So Nintendo just solved "the problem" the easiest way they could, cut the allowed time by three hours needlessly and didn't bother to keep it Germany-only via IP tracing or anything. Our law is strict but I'd appreciate it if people didn't just look at it and say "oh those Germans did it, poor Nintendo!" because they went about this in the absolute dumbest way possible.
So if the verification doesn't have to be 100% fool proof what's stopping them from just having an "enter your date of birth" field when you try to access 18+ content like every other thing that cares about age ratings does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Rirse posted:

What was the point of having a Wii U Elite Club if they are not even going to release any new games to buy?
To sucker people into getting it at launch so they don't "miss out".

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Saoshyant posted:

Man, I just had to find out what a game called Goony and costing only 2€ was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyq8FlgJmM

Watching that video I still have no idea what it's about, but whatever it is doesn't look fun nor do I have a clue why it's called Goony.
Is anyone actually making money of DSiWare any more? Pretty much everything I see on there is shovelware that I can't imagine anyone buying.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No idea if the Swapnote patch is hitting NA this week... it's not on the press release. Hmm.
I just checked and it isn't coming up as available on the UK store either.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What are the updates?
It changes the home screen icons to be a NES in front of a TV instead of just a box, adds proper save states instead of just resuming from where you closed the software and the games that have two player modes have download play support.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PAL update (week of May 9):Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (permanent price drop) - €49.99 / £39.99
So what are they dropping the price to?

Oh.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Yo forget your Zelda games, Denpa Men 2 is the real gem of this week's eShop update.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

loudog999 posted:

Can somebody give me a quick rundown about hat kind of game Dempa Men 2 is? Specifically, what is the combat like? Would I have to play the first one to understand the second? And finally, if I never take my 3DS out of the house to scan for characters, or however it's done, will I still be able to enjoy it? I would read some reviews but I trust you guys more, you haven't let me down recommendation wise yet.
The combat system is turn based but all the animations are pretty fast so battles don't take long, and you also have some auto attack options (like just attack without using magic, attack and heal when necessary, do anything) that can speed it up even more and are actually pretty useful because Denpa Men can change their own orders depending what happens on a turn (for example if a party member gets downed by an enemy that turn they can change their queued up move to revive them) which you can't do when picking moves yourself at the start of a turn.
Literally all you need to know about the first game is that your primary Denpa Man is the main character and in the first game his girlfriend gets captured by the King of Evil, you rescue her and then they get married. Or so I assume anyway, I stopped playing the first game after rescuing her and being given the mission to find an object to be used as a wedding ring because that required a lot of grinding and when I started the second game I don't feel like I missed anything at all. At this point if you haven't played the first game I would just advise to skip it, the first game is literally just selecting dungeons from a menu and grinding through them which is a real good way to get burned out, while the second game actually has an overworld to explore and towns and things.

Your last question is a bit more difficult to answer. Scanning for characters is basically just using your 3DS in an area where there are wi-fi networks (you don't have to be able to connect to them, the 3DS just needs to see them) so assuming there are people near you that have wi-fi then you should be able to get enough Denpa Men to have a full party and maybe a couple in reserve. If you never got any Denpa Men from any other wi-fi networks then this would be your party for the entire game unless you scanned QR codes you find on the internet. The downside to this is that QR code characters always come in at level 1 and if you lose them (by having them die in the overworld and not reviving them before the end of the fight, or having them die in a dungeon then leaving before reviving them) then they are gone and you need to scan them in at level 1 again, whereas Denpa Men from wi-fi networks are always found around your level and when you lose them you can find them again from that wi-fi network with their level intact or pay a fee to get them back if you don't want to go to that network again. Denpa Men do gain experience even if they are in reserve and not in the party, but constantly using QR codes means you either have to wait for them to catch up to your party or you will be constantly healing them.
The main problem with restricting your party is that the game heavily uses weaknesses and resistances and with the shared experience it really encourages you to change up your party whenever you get to a new area with different elemental enemies instead of picking one party and sticking to it. You can alleviate this with equipment that gives you elemental attacks or resistances to elements, but they usually cost a lot of money if you are looking to outfit your whole party.

There is a demo of the first game on the eShop (and there was meant to be a demo of the second but it's not there so I dunno if it's just delayed or not coming) if you want to get a basic look at the game and battle system, but just keep in mind that the second game is a straight upgrade of the first.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Rirse posted:

And of course Nintendo of America is backwards like usual and didn't put this in the firmware update. Sometimes wish they would get rid of Reggie and get a new person in charge so they actually get VC games on time and stuff like Mario & Luigi within the same week of Europe.
The update is broken for the majority of people anyway so you aren't missing much. When you go to buy the new games the Streetpass Plaza crashes and the 3DS has to restart.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Original_Z posted:

Sonic Blast for the GG is a terrible, terrible game.
I maintain that all the Sonic Gamegear games are terrible games.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Nintendo Japan just uploaded a mini-Direct video showcasing some new/upcoming eShop stuff, including:

Denpa Men 3 (3DS) - new features include customisable homes for your Denpa Men, transforms/summons, lots of other stuff I've already forgotten

A Chibi Robo AR game! (3DS) - seem to be more of a mini-game collection than a real Chibi Robo game, but it does look neat. Out on the JP eShop now, 1500yen, there's also a demo. (They also showed a few pieces of Chibi Robo-themed merch for some reason. EDIT: they're part of a "nostalgia contest" giveaway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGc4UmkeFE
Yesssss an new Denpa Men game and holy poo poo a new Chibi-Robo game.
Hopefully that being an eShop game gives it a chance of being localised unlike the second DS game which only came out in Japan.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's kinda lovely that the 3D version of Sonic 1 isn't based on the Taxman iOS version. That version is in widescreen, has playable Tails and Knuckles, an option to enable the spindash and all sorts of crazy poo poo in debug mode, whereas this version's sole new feature just seems to be 3D.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's pretty funny how they teased that saying that it was their version of a game played all over the world, and that game ended up being solitaire.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's really weird that they are releasing three versions of Street Fighter 2 at the same time and having a buy two get one free promotion on them.
I mean, I guess it's better than slowly drip feeding them in release order like I think they did on the Wii VC, but is there any reason why someone wouldn't only buy the most recent version?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Yessssssssssssss.
I will be so happy if Chibi Robo stops being dead outside of Japan.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Uh everyone knows the first Sonic is the best of the Mega Drive games. Do Sonic 2 or 3&Knuckles have Star Light Zone? No? Didn't think so. :c00lbert:
Neither Sonic 1 nor 3 & Knuckles have Chemical Plant Zone.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Some eShop-related news:

-Two Tribes has officially announced their "Two Tribes Classics" line of Wii U eShop games; they're bringing Toki Tori, RUSH and EDGE to the eShop at an introductory price of $1.99/€1.99/£1.79 each, starting with Toki Tori this month. Info sheet here.
When these come out everyone with a Wii U should get RUSH, it's such a great puzzle game and that price it's a steal.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Babby Sathanas posted:

Most of miiverse seems to be in Japanese for me... Kinda annoying.
If you go into the settings you can change it to only display your language which makes it a lot more readable, but then you miss out on drawings by Japanese prodigies.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

-Chibi Robo: Photo Finder (3DS); Chibi Robo game with an AR mechanic that utilises the 3DS' camera. Out January 9 in NA, demo coming "soon". (Wasn't mentioned on the NOE press release.)
I've been waiting like three Nintendo Directs for a localisation of this to be announced and I swear to god if this doesn't come out in Europe I am going to go insane.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

greatn posted:

How does Child robot play anyway? What kind of games are they?
In the first game you explore and clean your owner's house to make them happier and to be the top of the worldwide cleaning robot leaderboards. The house is massive in comparison to you, so there is a lot of exploration and you can only explore certain areas after getting upgrades for getting higher on the ranking leaderboard. Along the way you complete side missions for your owners, their daughter, her toys, and some aliens to make them happier, and at some point robot spiders invade the house to try and kill you. This game was awesome and probably one of the best games on Gamecube.

In the second game you are in a park and have to attract visitors by planting flowers and hiring toys to make attractions for your park like benches, fountains, etc. There are also smog monsters you have to fight that will try and kill your flowers. This game wasn't as good as the first one.

I don't know what the third one is like because it never got localised, but from the screenshots and videos it looked like it went back to the style of the first one.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

So, either NOE'S PR intern is still on holiday (possible) or PAL-land's not getting any new eShop releases this week (also possible but less likely). Hmm.
I want to believe that this is why we haven't heard anything about Chibi Robo in Europe, and not because that game isn't coming out here.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Agatsuma Entertainment has confirmed a PAL release for Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Yumi's Odd Odyssey), it'll be out next Thursday.
So did that game end up being any good when it came out in America?
All I know of Umihara Kawase is from the episode of Game Center CX the original was in and it looked pretty cool in that, but I don't know how the sequel ended up and if it was worth the price.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Those control stick spinning games in Mario Party 1 were the best and it sucks that they never put them in any other Mario Party games.
It was a nice change of pace that among the skill based minigames and minigames that were purely based on luck you would occasionally have a game about pain endurance.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Yo PAL dudes, Chibi-Robo is already available on the PAL 3DS eShop.
Yessssssss. It's been 8 long years but Europe finally gets another Chibi Robo game (even if it's not a proper one).
On the one hand, gently caress yeah more Denpa Men games because I think I'm the only person in this thread who actually likes them.
On the other hand however they monetise it could get ugly. Denpa Men 3 actually already has free to play elements in it despite being a paid game, there's a separate currency in the game called gems that is used to buy the best equipment and upgrades that you either find very sparingly through the game, get from streetpass, or earn from winning battles online, but later in the game you can straight up buy them for real money.
I'd imagine the monetisation could be an extension of that, but it could get real lovely if they give you a small amount of storage for Denpa Men and make you pay for more.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Oh man Pokemon TCG on the Gameboy was loving awesome. I thought they'd never bring it to VC since it uses old cards and they'd want people to use their web game that uses current cards instead.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

homeless snail posted:

Playing a bad game for nostalgia purposes is kind of sad, and there are a million ways to play Pokemon TCG without buying cards nowadays.
It's not a bad game unless you don't like the trading card game itself, if you do then it's a perfectly functional and enjoyable version of that.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA) - €6.99 / £56.29
Wow the UK is really getting screwed on the conversion rate with this one.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Oh yeah, Mr. Driller has a ridiculous extended canon that claims your dude is the son of Dig Dug Guy and Baraduke Lady.
Wasn't there a similar thing with the original Bomberman where when you finish the game Bomberman turns human and becomes the main character in Lode Runner?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
After November it sure will be fun playing Mario Kart online and only ever racing against 11 Links.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Is there a worse Nintendo-published GBA game than Super Mario Ball? I already thought of one, Yoshi Topsy Turvy. Whatever, Mario Ball still sucks.
As this is the PAL update post I think you should refer to it by its full PAL name: Yoshi's Universal Gravitation.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Didn't the Donkey Kong Country games get taken down from the Wii VC a while ago?
It's weird they are putting them back up again.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Does anyone know how Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire compares to the original Pokemon Pinball on Gameboy? I loving loved that game but I never played the GBA one.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Saoshyant posted:

With the introduction of the NNID it's not possible to switch countries anymore on the eShop. It hasn't been possible to buy anything from the eShop without a NNID since that time either, so basically they removed the possibility to switch countries entirely for the 3DS.

For the Wii U, it's possible to add a secondary account with a different country associated.
I thought you could buy things without a NNID on the 3DS eshop, but you can't download anything free (like demos or free apps) without one.

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 14, 2015

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Is Pirate's Curse the newest Shantae game? I've never played one before but people seemed to really like the newest one.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Golden Sun isn't a game it's a book.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I like how every time Nintendo adds a new system to eShop (this time original Wii), they boast loudly about the first wave of games and then it disappears off the face of the earth IMMEDIATELY after. every time
My favourite one of these is when DS games came to the Wii U eShop which started with a free version of Brain Training for everyone, then the idea of playing DS games on a Wii U vanished never to be heard from again.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Lodin posted:

Codename Steam? Europe isn't getting that til May 15th or something. :v:
We did get the update today though... for the demo.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Amppelix posted:

What's not to love???
The fact that they took the Goemon Impact song out of the English version of they game. It was in the first N64 game but in the second one they removed it when they localised the game for some reason.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Pomp posted:

what the gently caress?
Yeah, in the Japanese version there is a new Impact song but it's straight up removed in the English version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-6arYwxCZg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Are Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby's Pinball Land, Kirby Star Stacker, and Kirby's Dream Course good?
Aside from Kirby's Avalanche those are the only Kirby games I haven't played and since they are on sale I was just gonna buy them all unless any of them are bad games.