Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Are the first puzzles in Crashmo supposed to be as hard as the late puzzles in Pushmo, or am I just really stupid and bad at puzzle games?

I'm already stuck and I'm only at Challenge 1-2... I don't remember Pushmo getting hard until 40 or so puzzles in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Seasons and Ages aren't just wholly different games, but they even have totally different structures.

Seasons is a lot like the older 2D Zelda games, while Ages is like what you would get if you took a 3D Zelda and made it in 2D. In Seasons you can pretty much go straight from dungeon to dungeon, with little in your way between them aside from enemies and the occasional puzzle, as you could in the NES games and Link to the Past. In Ages you have to complete various tasks in-between dungeons, and it can take you over an hour to get from one dungeon to the next, more like the more modern Zeldas.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Seasons is a great game, and Ages has some pretty decent dungeons. But anything that's not a dungeon in Ages is slow and boring and you're often forced to play terrible minigames to progress the plot. Ages is probably the worst 2D Zelda.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Does anyone else have trouble switching from left to right on the Gamepad's d-pad without hitting up or down in the process? It's making Super Metroid all but unplayable for me, because I can't pull off walljumps consistently, and I've completely forgotten how to even play without doing silly jumps and breaking sequence.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm glad to see it's not just me. I'll try the analog stick next time, maybe it'll help.

.TakaM posted:

the trick is to take your thumb off the dpad when changing directions

Yeah, I was doing that and it helped a lot, but I'm not used to it so whenever muscle memory would take over, I'd forget to lift my thumb and screw it up. I just died to Kraid for the first time in ages, because I managed to get up to him without the high jump boots but then I completely failed to walljump while in combat, so I couldn't get up to his weak spot after he stood up.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Rather than thinking of it as DLC, if you think of New Super Luigi U as an expansion pack, the $20 price point doesn't seem as bad. It's got an absolute ton of new content, so $20 isn't a terrible price point, it just seems really expensive because DLC normally isn't any more than 10 or 15 dollars.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Zeeman posted:

Can someone tell me about these Kirby games? KDL3 is a regular Kirby game, Super Star is a bunch of different games, and Dream Course is...golf? Are they all actually worthwhile?

Dreamland 3 and Super Star are two of the best Kirby games, so they're definitely worth getting. Dream Course is an interesting take on golf with Kirby's transformation powers incorporated, and I think it's a lot of fun despite never enjoying a golf video game in my life.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The New Super Luigi U devs have confirmed the DLC will be 1.5GB in size.

There's also a NSMBU patch that'll be out on the same day that adds support for the Pro Controller.

Whoa, between this and Nintendo recently patching the Wii U firmware to allow changing the screen size and such, it's almost like Nintendo is starting to understand that not everyone who plays their games is happy with the exact same setup and control scheme.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The T posted:

I don't see much point in buying those monthly games with coins when coins can go towards so much other stuff that's exclusive to there... Rather have that stuff.

That would make sense if there was ever anything worth buying with your coins on the NA Club Nintendo. There was a golden Nunchuk and a Game and Watch recreation, and other than that it's all stuff like stationery and Wii Remote holders.

Still jealous of Japan's SNES controller for the Wii.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Yeah, I thought so too, but from the looks of things it's an online guide that's been optimised for the Gamepad. No idea if they've actually configured it to let you browse the guide while you play... probably not.

Doesn't the Wii U's internet browser work when you're playing a game no matter what, just like on the 3DS?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Awesome! posted:

If I buy one mega man on my 3ds which one should it be?

I would recommend MM3 over MM2 (My favorite NES game is actually MM1, but that's an uncommon opinion). MM2 has a lot of annoying bullshit, such as a boss that requires you to use all of a special weapon's ammunition, and if you die or make a single mistake because you don't already know the very specific way you have to fight it, you have to spend time farming for ammo pickups because it's literally impossible without a full bar for that weapon.

MM2 is really great, but I feel like it falls apart and just stops being fun once you beat all the robot masters.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SilverSupernova posted:

Why would you ever be short on Bubble Lead? When the hell would you even bother equipping that weapon prior to that room.

If you were using it to look for fake floors, or if you didn't know the previous boss' weakness and just went down the list trying everything.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nicalis just announced they're bringing the Kemco iOS RPG Grinsia to the 3DS eShop and PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4M0CuqpKfk

Uh, okay?

Was this made with RPG Maker?

That's a serious question. Some of those graphics are literally ripped straight from RPG Maker XP's default graphics set.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Do not even ask posted:

Rereleasing Cave Story a million times = lots of :10bux: apparently

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I bought Cave Story three times over. (Wii Ware because it was first, DSiWare because I wanted a portable version, and Cave Story+ because it's the best version.) The only one I didn't bother with is Cave Story 3D, because I already owned it three times and it looks like an N64 game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kevyn posted:

Do the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Metroid 1 and Punch-Out have save slots added or do you have to use those awful passwords?

You can make one save state per game, and when you exit the game it suspends it and resumes right where you were the next time you start it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Goodpart posted:

Is there any reason to play e3 if you've played one of the other two? Strikes me as the same thing with a new hat on.

It's the same thing, yeah. Buy it if you played the other two and want more puzzles.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Disargeria posted:

Their handling of the VC so far has been horrible so I can't imagine this being that great.

It might be pretty cool fifteen years down the line when there are thirty games to choose from.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Strange Quark posted:

Pick up the Trauma Center games while you're at it. And then be sad they're probably not making another one for a long, long time. :v: I do somewhat prefer the ones on the Wii (especially Trauma Team), but all of them other than the first on the DS, Under the Knife, are decent starting points. Under the Knife is pretty drat hard and is the only one without any difficulty modes, and it got ported to the Wii under the subtitle Second Opinion.

Under the Knife is hard as balls, but it also happens to be the best game in the series. The Wii games don't offer the same precision of control as the DS ones (the difference between holding a scalpel and holding a six foot pole with a scalpel tied to the end), and the only other DS game, UtK2, isn't nearly as good as the first one.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Sarchasm posted:

You mean, like, the entire announcement? "Nothing new to report, here's Mario 3"?

I'd give you 50/50.

"Also, Smash Bros is delayed to 2015. Please understand."

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AnotherGamer posted:

Yeah, the main problem with Golden Sun as a series is the fact that every single thing is repeated several times over in the same conversation no matter the subject. It's basically Get On With It: The JRPG. The gameplay is pretty good though even though some of the puzzles tend to be tedious, although it's no Lufia 2.

There's also the fact that not a single game in the series actually ends. Every single game ends on a cliffhanger. It's like a series tradition now.

Not that the story is anything special anyway, but it's still pretty annoying.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

jivjov posted:

I fail to see how "No GBA releases this week" in any way equals "Nintendo has dropped support of the GBA Virtual Console". Is this just people being whiny and/or paranoid? Or has there been some manner of announcement saying that nothing else is coming?

By "drop support" they mean "treat it like the rest of the Virtual Console," which is only one step up from dropping support entirely, really.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Dude probably shouldn't have thrown his Wii away, but please don't try and pretend that Nintendo's store and purchasing system is anything other than archaic garbage.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

jivjov posted:

Only allowing redownloads to either the same console or one that the licenses have been transferred to isn't "archaic garbage". Yeah, Nintendo should implement a way to recover licenses from a discarded/broken console at some point, but please don't try and pretend that Nintendo's store and purchasing system is the worst thing of all time ever.

Probably the worst online store system ever, yeah.

edit: I mean, it would be one thing if you could say "Yeah, the Wii's online was pretty poorly conceived. Oh well." But most of the issues with the Wii Shop are still present in the Wii U and 3DS eShops, 8 years after the Wii Shop launched and was already pretty poo poo compared to the competition!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, throwing it away is pretty silly. Give it to someone who wants it, trade it in to Gamestop for a few bucks if you don't want to go through the trouble of selling it for its actual value, do something with it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

jivjov posted:

I can totally defend it: Its a purchase history list, not a re-download center. Yes, its not providing the functionality that you personally want, but there was 100% a way to save your previously purchased games and content, and you voluntarily elected not to take advantage of it. Your fault, not Nintendo's.

Sure, it's not providing the functionality he wants, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that it doesn't provide the functionality that Nintendo's competitors provide.

Ignoring the issue of backwards compatibility--since the PS4 and Xbone can't do that and it's kind of irrelevant to Nintendo's online store being garbage--say you had a PS3 and it stopped working or you sold it or threw it in a landfill or whatever. Sony keeps track of every purchase you've ever made, and you can transfer all those purchases to a new PS3 if you buy one, without needing the original console on-hand. You don't even have to call Sony's customer support to do it. Even if this person buys a new Wii, those purchases are lost forever, despite there being a very clear and accessible list of everything they've ever bought.

Even with the Wii U, which does allow you to transfer licenses, you can't do it yourself. You need to call Nintendo and convince them that you have a new Wii U and your old one is busted and they need to transfer your account over. They might even require a stolen item report, unless that's just a 3DS thing.

It is a lovely store.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Is Metal Torrent any good? Thinking of grabbing it with my coins, but it's really hard to make a good shmup, so I'm worried that it's garbage.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I picked it up with coins and played through a bit, and I'd say it's pretty okay for the price of coins, maybe not for actual dollars though.

Thanks for the writeup! I might check it out.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Nintendo is really bad at online, but they seem to consider backwards compatibility a very high priority, so I don't think your purchases being lost to time is too big of a concern with Nintendo. (You'll probably lose them a lot sooner to some stupid reason caused by Nintendo having no loving idea what they're doing)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
What time does the eShop update? I want Theatrhythm

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Artix posted:

Two hours as of this post.

Cool, thanks! Glad the answer was simple and definite instead of something like "Sometime in the next seven hours"

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
It literally takes longer to navigate and load the menus to purchase the songs than it takes to download them. It's absurd.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Immer posted:

Dark Dawn also made every cutscene longer by making sure each of the eight party members got to reply/react in every conversation. At least in the GBA games, some of the characters took a breather here and there.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ChaosArgate posted:

Edit: Also the bosses have waaaaaaaay too much HP in the American version and the final boss gauntlet is the most tedious loving thing.

After fighting one of the final bosses for 20 or 30 minutes straight I just said "I don't think I care about seeing the ending to this stupid game" and turned the DS off. This was after fighting one or two other 30 minute boss fights, of course.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

greatn posted:

Reggie announced at E3 "And we are pleased to announce that Metroid Zero Mission is finally going to be coming to virtual console... sometime in the next fiscal year."

And then it's delayed, like Mario 3 was for months

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fremry posted:

To release it in Europe, you have had to already translate it to English, which is the only thing you need to do to release it in NA.

Look, it takes a long time to remove all the "Us" from words ending in "our"

You don't want your game full of gross words like "colour" do you?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I just report every post I see without reading them because I assume they're bad.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Any idea if the testfire matchmaking will pair you with people who have the full game or not?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The Demon Compendium costs real money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dammit Nintendo we wanted a good N64 game this week :negative:.

Congratulations, you got one!